Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Won't stay running.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #21
Start every day with a smile and get it over with
Flynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: K9
Name: Ron
Flynbyu2's Tacoma Gallery
When something like this happens to me, I put the old stuff back on, one item at a time, to see if it gets better.

When I did my kid's 4Runner, he had two bad coil/plug boot combos. That's where I would look first.

If it runs the exact same way as it does with the new parts on it, you buggered something up during the install.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
duggravs is on a distinguished road
Name: ricky
duggravs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynbyu2 View Post
When something like this happens to me, I put the old stuff back on, one item at a time, to see if it gets better.

When I did my kid's 4Runner, he had two bad coil/plug boot combos. That's where I would look first.

If it runs the exact same way as it does with the new parts on it, you buggered something up during the install.
The only thing I changed were the spark plugs. And cleaned the throttlebody and the IAC. After I read on the forums. That it would fix the shaking. A free I cleaned and reinstalled. Tripled checked everything. And now it's having a hard time starting some times. It's really weird. I can't think of anything else I need to change or fix.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #23
I forgot to mention. I did add some seafoam to the gas tank and the crankcase two tanks ago before I change the plugs. I don't know if that would be the reason of it not wanting to start.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sorry I meant to say fuel filter (not fuel pump). I've read some stories similar to yours that were solved by the fuel filter.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #25
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
With the truck idling tap the MAF lightly with the handle of a screwdriver, if the idle fluctuates the MAF is bad.

Check engine electrical grounds are clean and tight (look for burned wiring that may be caught around the EGR)

Make sure the EGR valve isn't stuck open or closed and is functioning properly.

Check and replace brittle or dry rotted vacuum lines.

Try a new Coolant Temp Sensor.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #26
It's weird. After cleaning the iac. In the beginning it started and ran great. But after I drove it and had it sit for a coue of hours. I didn't want to turn of stay on with out me pressing on the gas. It won't stay on I till it's warm. Then it's good.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
With the truck idling tap the MAF lightly with the handle of a screwdriver, if the idle fluctuates the MAF is bad.

Check engine electrical grounds are clean and tight (look for burned wiring that may be caught around the EGR)

Make sure the EGR valve isn't stuck open or closed and is functioning properly.

Check and replace brittle or dry rotted vacuum lines.

Try a new Coolant Temp Sensor.
I tried tapping the maf and nothing happened. So it good. I just checked the egr valve. And it wasn't stuck and it held vacume. I cleaned it anyways. I checked all the hoses. And nothing seems brittle or ripped.
After cleaning the egr. It turns on great and runs back to normal. I'm going to wait to see if it won't turn on again. But still no code or check engine light.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #28
Lpfan420 is a splendid one to beholdLpfan420 is a splendid one to beholdLpfan420 is a splendid one to beholdLpfan420 is a splendid one to beholdLpfan420 is a splendid one to beholdLpfan420 is a splendid one to beholdLpfan420 is a splendid one to behold
Lpfan420's Tacoma Gallery
Could it be possible the computer just needs to reset? Not sure how far you are driving before needing to shut the vehicle off but it usually takes 50-100 miles to reset.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan420 View Post
Could it be possible the computer just needs to reset? Not sure how far you are driving before needing to shut the vehicle off but it usually takes 50-100 miles to reset.
I did reset the computer (disconnected the battery) after the second time I cleaned the throttle body and the iac. And latter that night after driving the truck for about 10 miles. It wouldn't stay running when trying to start it. Until It got to operating temp.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #30
ok. after cleaning the iac, tb and the egr.
the egr seemed good. it opened and closed good. after cleaning the egr and driving for about a day. the check engine came on with a p0402 (egr excessive flow) and now im noticing my gas mileage getting worse. could it be the egr or something else? this is getting on my nerves!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #31
I reset the computer. Drive it did about a day. And the check engine light came on again. So could it be the egr or could it be something else?