Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Won't stay running.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
duggravs is on a distinguished road
Name: ricky
duggravs's Tacoma Gallery
Won't stay running.

I have a 04 2.7 that won't stay running. It started happening when I changed the plugs cuz I had a bad shake when I first turned the truck on. And now the shake is a little better. But now it won't stay on. I Already cleaned the tb and the iac. And still nothing. I have to keep my foot on the gas just to get it to turn on. And keep it on so It won't turn off. And when it does stay on. The rpms are very low. To the point that it's going to turn off.
Iv been looking of forums. And I can't get a concrete answer. Iv read that it could be the chip filter or pump.
I'm stumped. And can't figure it out.
Has anyone dealt with this problem?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure the plug wires are in correct order?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
These trucks have the mass air flow sensor, correct? Is it plugged in? These trucks won't run if it isn't connected.

Plugs are gapped correctly also?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
x2
Old 05-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
pouyeux55 is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army: mecanic but not anymore
pouyeux55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's coil on plug
Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
sacha7905 is on a distinguished road

sacha7905's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a check engine light on? I have a crank problem with my tacoma and the dealer wouldn't run diagnostics for free since the check engine light wasn't on. Take your truck to autozone and they can hook it up through the OBDII port and see if it throws any codes. The downside is that autozone machine doesn't know what the code is for. Other forum members have recommended an ODII scanner that will tell you what the code it and says which part is faulty. I'd invest in one and hopefully it can tell you what the problem is.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouyeux55 View Post
It's coil on plug
Are the 1st gens coil on plug also?
Old 05-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Quote:
Yeah I'm possative they're in the right order. Theirs only one way they can go. Length wise
Plus when I changed the plugs. I do one plus at a time. So I won't mix them up on accident
Old 05-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
These trucks have the mass air flow sensor, correct? Is it plugged in? These trucks won't run if it isn't connected.

Plugs are gapped correctly also?
Yeah it does have a maf. And I cleaned it. And plugged it back in. i double and tripled checked everything. Everything is plugged in.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha7905 View Post
Do you have a check engine light on? I have a crank problem with my tacoma and the dealer wouldn't run diagnostics for free since the check engine light wasn't on. Take your truck to autozone and they can hook it up through the OBDII port and see if it throws any codes. The downside is that autozone machine doesn't know what the code is for. Other forum members have recommended an ODII scanner that will tell you what the code it and says which part is faulty. I'd invest in one and hopefully it can tell you what the problem is.
No the check engine light isn't on. Which sucks. Cuz this is the only time I wish it was on.
And I did get it checked by a friends obd and nothing cAme up.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Are the 1st gens coil on plug also?
Yeah it's a coil pack plug. So there isn't any wires to change
Old 05-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried the throttle position sensor (TPS)?
Also look for the firing order online and compare just to make sure.

I believe the firing order is:

Does the 2.7 have coils on each plug? So no wires?

Edit: never mind the last 2 questions... I read you post above
Old 05-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Were you easy on tightening the plugs? It's easy to over tighten and crack a plug/ insulator. Or leaving a plug too loose?
Old 05-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
Have you tried the throttle position sensor (TPS)?
Also look for the firing order online and compare just to make sure.

I believe the firing order is:

Does the 2.7 have coils on each plug? So no wires?

Edit: never mind the last 2 questions... I read you post above
What am I suppose to do with the tps?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggravs View Post
What am I suppose to do with the tps?
Maybe have it tested it or Replace it, I don't think there's a way to clean it.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
Quote:
Maybe have it tested it or Replace it, I don't think there's a way to clean it.
How can I get it tested?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggravs View Post
How can I get it tested?

Hmmm that I don't know, or if it's possible. Just said it incase you could before buying a new one. I may have my old one that I replaced because I was able to get a new one for $10 after shipping. I'm sure it's still in great shape since my truck was running fine when I replaced it. $10 and it's yours. It's an OEM Toyota TPS.

I'm just suggesting the TPS as a possibility to your truck symptoms. Not sure if it's gonna solve it but wouldn't hurt to try
Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #18
Quote:
Hmmm that I don't know, or if it's possible. Just said it incase you could before buying a new one. I may have my old one that I replaced because I was able to get a new one for $10 after shipping. I'm sure it's still in great shape since my truck was running fine when I replaced it. $10 and it's yours. It's an OEM Toyota TPS.

I'm just suggesting the TPS as a possibility to your truck symptoms. Not sure if it's gonna solve it but wouldn't hurt to try
I looked on youtube. And there is a what to check it. I just have to do it now.
But what's weird. The truck is turning on perfectly now. But iv noticed when it sits for couple hours. It won't start unless I give it gas.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #19

Have you changed the fuel pump?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #20
Quote:
Have you changed the fuel pump?
No I haven't. But I don't think that would be the problem. Since it stays on after it get warmed up.
If it was the fuel pump. The car wouldn't start at all. Or run fine after it stays on.