Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Dealer says, "No more regular cabs after 2014"

Old 05-29-2014, 03:08 AM   #21
illmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Matt
illmatyk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
I ordered a Reg Cab 4x4 about a month ago and it is a 6-8 week wait on this particular configuration.
I call the dealership today for a update and got into a interesting conversation about the mighty little 4x4.

He said 2014 is the last year for the regular cab Tacoma, no more will be built in 2015.

I've always wanted the little I4 manual tranny 4x4 regular cab and am extremely happy knowing I got one before the cut-off.
I am actually down grading from a very nice Tundra limited 4x4 but something in my bones told me to jump to the little Taco and I'm glad I didn't just keep dreaming about one.

I'm not certain but this should be the end of a era of about a 35 year production run in this configuration.

Moral of the story if you have ever wanted the tiny Taco you better hurry before it's to late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellis View Post
I doubt this, dealers lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgreenlee1021 View Post
I still want to see a link from Toyota about this.
Til' then when I see people talkin' 'bout it I'll think of Shreks face....lol
I work at the dealership here in my area and was told the same thing. I still prefer a double cab or access cab though.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #22
SteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't surprise me that Toyota is going to kill the regular cab, but it makes me sad... Bear with me, I'm gonna tell a story.

At the risk of walking into a

My first new vehicle... 2006 Ranger Reg Cab 4x2 3.0 V6 5-Speed.

I loved my Ranger. It was a great truck and soo much fun to drive. I've never had the need for a full-size pickup so I got a small one. However, in 2009 I adopted my dog. He means more to me than a vehicle so I decided to get something with a back seat...

I looked at this first... But couldn't get the numbers to work. A young Airman in the AF doesn't make that kind of money...

Soo, I walked away from the Taco (my dream truck then) and bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Mistake...

I got promoted and traded the Jeep for a WRX. Loved that car, but it wasn't great for road trips and everyday driving. Plus I began to miss having a truck. So after I got back from my deployment to Afghanistan, I traded my WRX for my Tacoma.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tacoma and it's perfect for my life now but the young kid in me misses my small manual transmission v6 Ranger. The compact pickup market is already dead. It officially died with the Ranger. But now the mid-size truck is dying too. I just don't need a full-size pickup and it makes me very sad to see the smaller trucks die. I expect my Taco to last a long time because I fear my next truck will be a full-size because the mid-size market may be dead by then too.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #23
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I hope they don't do away with all mid size trucks, my cousin has a 06 chevy crew cab z71with the 5.3 with a bullydog programer, cams, and soon to be headers. But I don't like to drive it, don't get me wrong it is a blast to drive, but its just so big and I can't see over the big hood as good as my tacoma, it gets 12 mpg on a good day. I just pefer a smaller truck over a full size one.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #24
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Explain?

230hp v6 18ish mpg 4200lbs 0-60 probably 7.0 sec
350 hp v8 18ish mpg 5500lbs 0-60 probably 7.0 sec
Don't you think that pulling something that weighs roughly 1300-1500lbs less should take less gas. I certainly think so. If weight savings weren't important then Ford wouldn't be spending money out the eyeballs to lighten their trucks. The power to weight ratio is fine, but how many people run their vehicles day to day like they're on a drag strip. I certainly don't. At low rpm cruising speeds the Tacoma should get significantly more mpg's. At least 10-20%.
The reality is that the Tacoma sells so well that Toyota has gotten lazy and hasn't put any tech into the powertrains since 05. All the full size trucks have moved on with some going to DVVT and/or Direct injection and transmissions with more gears. Gas isn't 1.25/gal like it was when I purchased my first full size truck. The reliability is great but if you crunch the numbers every 3 or so years you could pay for a major repair (aprox $1000 in gas)just by getting 4mpg less.
I so hope that Toyota puts major updates into the 2016 model b/c the Tacoma has been defeated by it's success.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
Off the Meds Again...
wgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wgreenlee1021's Tacoma Gallery
My Camry has a 6-speed trans and it sh!ts,gits and still gets excellent fuel mileage.
Why they can't put a similar trans in the 2.7 reg cab trucks I don't know.
My Tundra has a six speed and it does well for its size but I want to trade off for a smaller truck to ride in my woods going where the Tundra can't go.
I don't want a access cab or double cab.Its just me and my wife now and the city mileage is great on these where my Tundra isn't and my Camry can't haul nothing.
The Reg cab is a perfect middle ground and if Toyota takes it out of the choices then I dunno whats going to happen.
I wouldve already got one but I'm waiting on generation changes.
Just doesn't make no sense to eliminate a great product.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #26
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgreenlee1021 View Post
My Camry has a 6-speed trans and it sh!ts,gits and still gets excellent fuel mileage.
Why they can't put a similar trans in the 2.7 reg cab trucks I don't know.
My Tundra has a six speed and it does well for its size but I want to trade off for a smaller truck to ride in my woods going where the Tundra can't go.
I don't want a access cab or double cab.Its just me and my wife now and the city mileage is great on these where my Tundra isn't and my Camry can't haul nothing.
The Reg cab is a perfect middle ground and if Toyota takes it out of the choices then I dunno whats going to happen.
I wouldve already got one but I'm waiting on generation changes.
Just doesn't make no sense to eliminate a great product.
It's just a rumor. I can't imagine Toyota discontinuing the Regular Cab 2wd because it is a common fleet vehicle. They might do what they did with the Tundra and have a Regular Cab option but that option would only be 2wd. That would be a terribly sad day and I would have an "I think I'm going to throw up" moment.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #27
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
This is sad if true for those who want simplicity and the reliability that goes along with it. Love my RC 4x4 and wouldnt trade it for anything.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 AM   #28
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
Don't you think that pulling something that weighs roughly 1300-1500lbs less should take less gas. I certainly think so. If weight savings weren't important then Ford wouldn't be spending money out the eyeballs to lighten their trucks. The power to weight ratio is fine, but how many people run their vehicles day to day like they're on a drag strip. I certainly don't. At low rpm cruising speeds the Tacoma should get significantly more mpg's. At least 10-20%.
The reality is that the Tacoma sells so well that Toyota has gotten lazy and hasn't put any tech into the powertrains since 05. All the full size trucks have moved on with some going to DVVT and/or Direct injection and transmissions with more gears. Gas isn't 1.25/gal like it was when I purchased my first full size truck. The reliability is great but if you crunch the numbers every 3 or so years you could pay for a major repair (aprox $1000 in gas)just by getting 4mpg less.
I so hope that Toyota puts major updates into the 2016 model b/c the Tacoma has been defeated by it's success.
Yeah other manufacturers are going other routes to pick up 1mpg