Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

1998 Prerunner 3rz - Fuel/ECU issue(s)

Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
bwaynep is on a distinguished road
bwaynep's Tacoma Gallery
1998 Prerunner 3rz - Fuel/ECU issue(s)

So I went to back the truck out of a parking spot tonight. It started up, went into reverse, rolled about a foot, and died.

I don't seem to be getting any fuel, no noise from the pump, and the truck isn't starting. No check engine lights.

I can't pull the codes either. I hooked up my scanner when the issue started, but it's not able to recognize the ECU.

Any help and/or troubleshooting steps greatly appreciated. I had the truck towed home.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
bwaynep's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I pulled the ECU today and opened it up. No signs of corrosion or shorting. Going to check the fuel pump relay.

Not sure if it's a sign of ECU failure, or a wiring issue somewhere along the way, but I wasn't getting any "check engine" light when I brought the ignition to the ready state (just before cranking). Between that and the inability to connect to the OBD2 scanner I have, I suspect the ECU threw up on it's shoes.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
bwaynep's Tacoma Gallery
Swapped out with a junkyard ecu ($50), still can't connect via OBD2 port.

Swapped around the relay for the EFI with relays known to be good, nothing.

Any ideas? Bump?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel filter?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
bwaynep's Tacoma Gallery
@Fordless - unlikely as the ECU doesn't seem to be getting power.

I was able to find a wiring diagram, and the only thing I can think (at this point) is that the circuit opening relay took a dump. If it's beyond that it's somewhere in the wiring, and I'll likely let someone else deal with that (truck has 197k hard miles on it).

I ordered a new COR, should be here in a week or so. We'll see if that clears things up.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
bwaynep's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed! Fixed! Fixed! Fixed! Fixed!

Went through the ignition harness after installing the new circuit opening relay. Turns out the PO had installed an alarm (I think) and there was some sub/amp wiring that was loose and didn't seem to be grounded correctly.

I went through and cut all that crap out, re-soldered the ignition harness, and I'm back in business. Now it's finally time to sell my WRX and get the suspension and camper setup for the truck.