1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need an in dash tach

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by tacolibre9, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    tacolibre9

tacolibre9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 taquito
    3" fabtech Lift, K&N intake, Powertraxx lock right locker
    Hello fellow toyota enthusiasts. I'm here so I thought I'd start, my first post with a question. I have an '04 regular cab 2.4L taquito with a manual 5 speed that I'm in the process of making a daily driver/ desert toy. I know I will be push my little 4 banger hard but I don't want to push it to the blowing point. Right now I have no tachometer I shift by sound and feel, while I'm good at that on the streets I worry when I'm desert running i might be shifting closer to the red line than I should. So before I throw LT on it and hit Huckfest I want to put in a tach, but I want to avoid mounting one on my dash. Does anyone know of a different model or year of toyota that has a tach in the oem gauges that will fit in the 1st gen dash? or possibly a company that makes an aftermarket version?

Thank you for the help and for reading my longwinded post haha

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    2 wheel drive

2 wheel drive Member

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma regular cab
    Autometer tach, spray in bedliner, sliding rear window, Sirius satellite radio
    I installed an Autometer "mini tach" (#2891) in 2004 in my '01 Taco. The #2306 appears to be similar. Removed the ash tray, used the ash tray light feed for tach backlight. Bolted the tach to the underside of the ashtray mount-probably with a homemade bracket (can't specifically remember). Use the either the cig lighter or one of the aux power plugs for power. I think they are both ignition switched. Pin 9 on the OBD II connector is a tach terminal for the '01. Soldered a pin to the tach feed, held my breath and plugged it in. Then painted a witness strip on the terminal so that I can disconnect it for the smog test and easily reconnect it. I angled it up so that with a downward glance you can easily see it. Looks nice.

You will need to research the wiring diagrams to verify that this will work on your '04.

Products Discussed in

To Top