Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Need an in dash tach

Old 06-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
tacolibre9 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
tacolibre9's Tacoma Gallery
Question Need an in dash tach

Hello fellow toyota enthusiasts. I'm here so I thought I'd start, my first post with a question. I have an '04 regular cab 2.4L taquito with a manual 5 speed that I'm in the process of making a daily driver/ desert toy. I know I will be push my little 4 banger hard but I don't want to push it to the blowing point. Right now I have no tachometer I shift by sound and feel, while I'm good at that on the streets I worry when I'm desert running i might be shifting closer to the red line than I should. So before I throw LT on it and hit Huckfest I want to put in a tach, but I want to avoid mounting one on my dash. Does anyone know of a different model or year of toyota that has a tach in the oem gauges that will fit in the 1st gen dash? or possibly a company that makes an aftermarket version?

Thank you for the help and for reading my longwinded post haha
Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
2 wheel drive is on a distinguished road
2 wheel drive's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Easier solution

I installed an Autometer "mini tach" (#2891) in 2004 in my '01 Taco. The #2306 appears to be similar. Removed the ash tray, used the ash tray light feed for tach backlight. Bolted the tach to the underside of the ashtray mount-probably with a homemade bracket (can't specifically remember). Use the either the cig lighter or one of the aux power plugs for power. I think they are both ignition switched. Pin 9 on the OBD II connector is a tach terminal for the '01. Soldered a pin to the tach feed, held my breath and plugged it in. Then painted a witness strip on the terminal so that I can disconnect it for the smog test and easily reconnect it. I angled it up so that with a downward glance you can easily see it. Looks nice.

You will need to research the wiring diagrams to verify that this will work on your '04.