Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

jet chip performance in 2.7

Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
Midnight Drifter is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
Midnight Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
What? You're kidding, right!? You can't even flash the ROM on the factory Toyota ECU to eliminate those parameters?

That sucks balls. I'll bet pushing the fuel cut to 6,000 is also out of the question, then.

Also, no way in hell I'd part with the growl of my 2TR. It sounds like a crossbreed of a Detroit Diesel 2-stroke V8 and a Subaru H4.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
You can't do a D4-D at $10 an hour. Those swaps cost almost as much as the truck does.

Anyway, this is a bummer. I've never heard of an ECU that you couldn't reflash to simply raise the rev limit or remove the speed governor.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
What? You're kidding, right!? You can't even flash the ROM on the factory Toyota ECU to eliminate those parameters?

That sucks balls. I'll bet pushing the fuel cut to 6,000 is also out of the question, then.

Also, no way in hell I'd part with the growl of my 2TR. It sounds like a crossbreed of a Detroit Diesel 2-stroke V8 and a Subaru H4.
Flash rom is late 80s/early 90s tech.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
toyota nut
4wdmofo is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
4wdmofo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvaro Guerrero View Post
THIS IS WHAT I WANT

JET V-Force Plus Performance Module is designed for the performance enthusiast that wants improved performance, acceleration and the ability to monitor vehicle information. Designed around a 20mhz RISC processor the V-Force Plus optimizes iginition advance and fuel maps for optimum horsepower and driveability. In addition the V-Force Plus allows the user to select from 14 different screens to monitor Throttle Position, Mass Air Flow, Manifold Pressure, Fuel Economy and Air/Fuel Ratio. Replaces part number 67009.
Well, you can get info straight from the horses mouth if you want . I work at jet, and personally would recommend the ECU upgrade kit vs. the V-force if power is more of a want for you. with your mods, you can get 10HP and 12 TQ to the wheels increased from the ECU kit. the V-force would be more like 4hp and 4tq. the V-force does have a display though, that is able to put up 14 different readings. The ECU kit retails for $399.00, but i'd recommend buying it through our distributors like 4 wheel parts, or amazon.com or even summit racing, shop around for the best price. they are able to sell it at a wholesale discount.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #27
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdmofo View Post
Well, you can get info straight from the horses mouth if you want . I work at jet, and personally would recommend the ECU upgrade kit vs. the V-force if power is more of a want for you. with your mods, you can get 10HP and 12 TQ to the wheels increased from the ECU kit. the V-force would be more like 4hp and 4tq. the V-force does have a display though, that is able to put up 14 different readings. The ECU kit retails for $399.00, but i'd recommend buying it through our distributors like 4 wheel parts, or amazon.com or even summit racing, shop around for the best price. they are able to sell it at a wholesale discount.
Hey, I just read this,
And this ain't so crazy,
But you have the numbers,
So dyno, maybe?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
toyota nut
4wdmofo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Hey, I just read this,
And this ain't so crazy,
But you have the numbers,
So dyno, maybe?

ROFL! good one, all dyno info is

JK! yea I have a list of what the ecu upgrade added on many different vehicles on our in house chassis dyno. don't have a pic of the dynos sheets themselves anymore though. The 3.4 V6's see 14-16HP to the wheels depending on the bolt on mods the vehicles has. Also remember the ECU upgrade requires 89 mid-grade octane or better, forgot to mention that, as well the V-force is ok to run lower 87 octane gas.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloncolly View Post
the only problem with this is toyota does not make a regular cab in V6
Now we're gettin to the point........or at least back when this was originally posted.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
toyota nut
4wdmofo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Now we're gettin to the point........or at least back when this was originally posted.
oh wow, people still don't know the truth about those reg cab V6's? I recently learn as well that 95-97 did have an option to have a V6 in the reg cab. only those years IIRC, over on TTORA someone recently posted a link to an ebay sale of a 96 or 97 i believe with like 40K or less original miles on a reg cab v6. completely stock, older man owned it i guess, super clean. Rare as hell but they are out there.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
oh wow, people still don't know the truth about those reg cab V6's? I recently learn as well that 95-97 did have an option to have a V6 in the reg cab. only those years IIRC, over on TTORA someone recently posted a link to an ebay sale of a 96 or 97 i believe with like 40K or less original miles on a reg cab v6. completely stock, older man owned it i guess, super clean. Rare as hell but they are out there.
Was wishing in one hand shitting in the other deep in 2nd gen land......and wishing for a 4.0 not the 3.4
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #32
toyota nut
4wdmofo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Was wishing in one hand shitting in the other deep in 2nd gen land......and wishing for a 4.0 not the 3.4
people do swap the 4.0's in the 1st gens, not cheap or easy but has been done. one shop owner i talked to said even stock vs. stock the power increase is easy to feel in a 1st gen. Personally, if i had the money and time a 4.0L in my 4x2 with some bolt ons and a tune would be ideal. good gas mileage, and power when i need it .
Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

a newer v6 6 speed prerunner donor vehicle would be just the tkt for me
Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
Quote:
Would the ECU upgrade allow for bumping up the fuel cut a bit, playing with the governor etc.?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #35
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Would the ECU upgrade allow for bumping up the fuel cut a bit, playing with the governor etc.?
There is no ECU upgrade unless you go full aftermarket which would have to be hardwired in.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #36
toyota nut
4wdmofo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
unfortunately no, What we do is change the timing, and injector pulse based off the mods you have on the car/truck in order to get more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There is no ECU upgrade unless you go full aftermarket which would have to be hardwired in.
are you saying full after market ECU, or like after market piggy back like an HKS FCD?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #37
Banned
Quote:
Zare you saying full after market ECU, or like after market piggy back like an HKS FCD?
As far as I know those FCD units are crap. What I meant is that you need something like the UCON EMS, AEM EMS or MAP ECU system. These would have to be wired in since there are no harnesses for direct plug in like there is for the 4.0.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
toyota nut
4wdmofo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
As far as I know those FCD units are crap. What I meant is that you need something like the UCON EMS, AEM EMS or MAP ECU system. These would have to be wired in since there are no harnesses for direct plug in like there is for the 4.0.
ahh i see what you mean. I think the least expensive is the AEM EMS but haven't looked into them in years. I was under the impression they had a plug and play harness for some models, but you might be right about the 4.0's not having one.

I used a FCD on my 91 mr2 turbo, kicked the red line up to 8K from 7.5k and it worked like a charm. Also allowed me to increase my boost as well .
Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #39
1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all
1moonshine2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I had to laugh a bit at this one. However, it is about the most accurate description of the 2TR sound that I have ever heard. At lower rpm it does growl like a Subie boxer 4, and at higher rpm it has the sharp, raspy sound similar to the old 2 cycle Detroit V8. Very good description indeed. I too, like the sound from the 2TR. I owned a Subie one time, loved it, great car. I drove a truck for 20 years, and I'm old enough to remember when the old screamin' Jimmy's were very popular engines. They had a good sound, but were the noisiest thing on the road. With a straight pipe, and a Jake brake, nothing sounded any better...