Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Transmission Filter on a 4-speed Auto Transmission

Old 06-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
jvillan86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josue
jvillan86's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Filter on a 4-speed Auto Transmission

I little introduction, my name is Josh and I currently own a 2008 Tacoma base model with the 2.7L I4 with the 4 speed automatic. It was purchased in 2010 with roughly 24,000 miles on the odometer. In hindsight, maybe I should have asked for the service details but I never knew if the transmission fluid was ever changed (probably not). Fast forward 4 years and 80,000 miles later, I'm really thinking about changing the fluid and filter inside the pan. I've searched this site and to no avail to any DIY help. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this job to their Taco and if so, what filter was used and more importantly, what fluid. Also, if any problems arose after the job. Please and much appreciated.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
There is no filter like in a domestic automatic. There is a metal screen but it probably doesn't need to be changed unless the transmission is rebuilt or reaches uber high mileage. Just drain the fluid and replace it with Toyota Type T-IV ATF. Mine required about 4.4-4.6 qts. There are magnets in the pan that can be cleaned but I wouldn't worry about that until 130-150K miles.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
and here http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...SM/repair.html

According to Toyota , the trans uses Genuine Toyota type T-IV
http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...a/02600110.pdf

And here is an example of your screen style filter http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...make=TOYOTA&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=CAD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=2n50ph81168j2jv9ef5gusmjv6
As mentioned above , these screen style filters can usually be cleaned and re-used