Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

AFE or K&N for the?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Steve E is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 14th CE & 15th CE USAF
Steve E's Tacoma Gallery
AFE or K&N for the?

I have an 08 Access Cab and have started mods, K&N so far, removal of 2nd air filter. Thinking about a header next. I have more than one person saying not to use the K&N was wondering if I should sell it and get the AFE filter? Thanks for any advice.

Steve E..........
Old 04-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It depends.....
I've owned many K&N filters over the years and never had any problems with them. You can't just pop it in and leave it. YOu have to keep it cleaned and cleaned regularly. You have to be careful not to over-oil it.
Over oiling it causes the oils to get on the MAF sensor (a major complaint).
People who don't keep it cleaned - will notice dust getting past it (another complaint). You also need to make sure it's seated in your airbox properly.

The oil is what filters the fine dust. Once the oil is 'full' (dirty), it can't filter anymore.

When I owned K&N's - I cleaned them twice a year. YOu have to make sure they're fully dry before you oil them - so I'd always have a spare paper filter to put in the vehicle while the filter was drying (a full day usually).

Currently, I have an AFE. I wanted to try it. I like it....but I honestly don't think it allows as much airflow as the K&N does.

If you're looking for maximum airflow gains- I'd go with the K&N.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Steve E's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I have the K&N so I guess I'll keep it.

Steve E.........
Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Steve E's Tacoma Gallery
I believe I will keep the K&N while we are stationed out here in Kommiefornia at least. Thanks.

Steve E.......
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Steve E's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately it is all City driving around here.

Steve E.........
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
zuter will become famous soon enough
zuter's Tacoma Gallery
Just dropped in a K&N replacement air filter. I immediately noticed that the idle was way smoother...guess all that extra air helps out .

Put a K&N in my wife's TJ a year ago and have only washed and re-oiled it once. One question about reoiling...are you supposed to use a cloth to re-oil or are you supposed to spray it on or some other method? Just curious as I applied the oil with a cloth on the intake side of the filter.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuter View Post
Just dropped in a K&N replacement air filter. I immediately noticed that the idle was way smoother...guess all that extra air helps out .

Put a K&N in my wife's TJ a year ago and have only washed and re-oiled it once. One question about reoiling...are you supposed to use a cloth to re-oil or are you supposed to spray it on or some other method? Just curious as I applied the oil with a cloth on the intake side of the filter.
FYI a member here has found that ALL K&N filters (whether it be CAIs, drop ins, etc) produce silica levels in oil that are VERY high.

They are very poor filters
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
FYI a member here has found that ALL K&N filters (whether it be CAIs, drop ins, etc) produce silica levels in oil that are VERY high.

They are very poor filters
any results about this with the AFE filters?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
any results about this with the AFE filters?
Not yet, I believe he said he was going to stop the constant testing until worked picked up
Old 08-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
I run a K&N on my DR650 Suzuki and have been happy with although was very careful in making sure it had good seal with foam ring mounting surface and I also used the red Pre-Filter in addition. It is also oiled. I don't have any scientific evidence to their actually effectiveness but have noticed some people have mentioned fines getting past in very dusty conditions. I only ride ride on the street.

Motoretro
Old 08-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
It doesnt matter, the microscopic dust they let in constantly are in any driving conditions
Old 08-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuter View Post

You have to take the filter out completely. Spray the oil (as per the instructions) directly onto the filter and the oil WICKS into the paper material.

The one thing I did ....I had a spare paper filter that I'd put in the vehicle while I was cleaning the K&N. I let the K&N sit overnight to dry completely before re-oiling it. If the filter is wet when you re-oil it, the oil can't WICK into the paper and it won't filter properly.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
It doesnt matter, the microscopic dust they let in constantly are in any driving conditions
Is that the same as microscopic germs and even moisture in the air??

Anything microscopic (or even bigger than that) will get burned up and will exit out the exhaust.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Is that the same as microscopic germs and even moisture in the air??

Anything microscopic (or even bigger than that) will get burned up and will exit out the exhaust.
Not necessarily.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:23 AM   #17
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
So, the microscopic germs and dust impregnate your pistons? Or do they attach to your valves & multiply in your exhaust?

First, not everything is burned during combustion. Second, there is leakdown. So every time you kill the engine, you have at least one or two cylinders in the compression stage. The pressure that is in these cylinders (which includes your microscopic germs) is "bled" into the crankcase through (or by) the rings. The leakdown contains all those "germs" or particulates, which is how it gets into the oil.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
First, not everything is burned during combustion. Second, there is leakdown. So every time you kill the engine, you have at least one or two cylinders in the compression stage. The pressure that is in these cylinders (which includes your microscopic germs) is "bled" into the crankcase through (or by) the rings. The leakdown contains all those "germs" or particulates, which is how it gets into the oil.

And why you change your oil every 5000 miles - to get rid of the crap in the oil.

A little 'dust' past the filter isn't gonna be catastrophic like everyone is making it to be.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #19
sloancallaway is on a distinguished road
Name: Sloan
sloancallaway's Tacoma Gallery
I really dont think microscopic germs are an issue in your motor... it is way to hot for anything to live through that
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #20

Marines:
We were speaking metaphorically.