Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

V4 vs. V6?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
daveh43 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
daveh43's Tacoma Gallery
V4 vs. V6?

I'm a new member to Tacoma World and looking to buy my first truck. I appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Currently, I have narrowed down my truck search to Toyota Tacoma, Access Cab, 4x4, Automatic. Next is deciding if I should pay the extra bucks for V6.

I will not be towing much if anything at all. The biggest thing I plan to haul around is a kayak. I am mostly buying this truck because I like the feel and look of the vehicle. I am concerned, however, if I don't get the V6, I will regret it and feel like the car has no pickup on hills or in snow.

For those with V4, did you find its power was efficient especially if I won't be towing anything? How was the gas milage? For those with V6, is the power worth the price and cost of extra gas?

Thank you for your time. Again, any pointers for this first time buyer would be great!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Poe is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Poe's Tacoma Gallery
I4**
I have the 4 banger and its not slow, i still get shit mpg because of my driving habbits, but i would go ahead and get the V6 so yoou dont regret it later. go with the 6 speed
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its an I4, gets good mileage, has nice torque, is as slow as you would expect it to be. Love my 4 cylinder, don't expect it to be fast and you'll be more than satisfied.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I notice very little difference in power. The big difference is the smoothness of the motors. The wife has the I4, I have the V6. The V6 is a much smoother motor. At least to me. This is not a deal killer. Its a truck, not a luxery sedan.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh43 View Post
I am concerned, however, if I don't get the V6, I will regret it and feel like the car has no pickup on hills or in snow.
Hi Dave,

Because you're even asking that question... don't get a 4 cylinder. You'll regret it.

I drive a cheap little standard cab 4 banger 5 lug 5 speed every day for work, and love it, because it would never even occur to me to ask that question.

I consciously chose the 2.7 over the 4.0 knowing in advance that it's less powerful, so I've never regretted that choice. I enjoy driving economical underpowered manual transmission vehicles as a matter of personal taste.

Greg
Old 06-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
I have the I4 too, I don't consider it underpowered. It likes to go 80 mph on the freeway. Mountain passes do require 3rd gear. I never questioned what I wanted however.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Go with the 6.
If it's gas mileage you are looking for than a tacoma is not for you. It will make up though in every other aspect. Except if you have to change the head lights. either way, good luck.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
daveh43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw4x4 View Post
Its an I4, gets good mileage, has nice torque, is as slow as you would expect it to be. Love my 4 cylinder, don't expect it to be fast and you'll be more than satisfied.
When you say good gas milage, what are you talking? 20?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
I need new tires :/
Poe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
Poe101's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 6 cylinder and regularly get an average of 20 or 21. I4 will get a little better im sure but in my opinion having the 6 is a better route if you are even debating the two.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
daveh43's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses so far guys! This really helps.

I originally was going to go with the I4, but then my friend had me doubting myself because she thought it wouldn't be enough power. She, however, has never owned a truck. Anyway, that's why I'm asking.

What drew me to the Tacoma is its a modest sized truck. I like the ruggedness of the vehicle, I think it fits my personality. I don't want a vamped up, show off how masculine I am truck like some Americans might. Before beginning my truck search, I really didn't know the difference between the I4 and V6 (and even called it the wrong thing in the title of this post haha).

Hearing these responses and thinking about it more. I'm leaning I4. It follows my modest framework. Any more opinions would still be more than welcomed.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #11
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
test drive both before you buy! in some ways I had gotten the i4 but i love the power of the v6 and a few less mpgs doesnt hurt me except at the pump lol.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
I need new tires :/
Poe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
Poe101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
test drive both before you buy!
^^ that.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:47 AM   #13
SWOreBowHunter is on a distinguished road

SWOreBowHunter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfires View Post
I have the I4 too, I don't consider it underpowered. It likes to go 80 mph on the freeway. Mountain passes do require 3rd gear. I never questioned what I wanted however.
3rd gear, really? I can climb most any mountain pass in 4th with my 2.7. She purrs really nice at 3k and 65 mph, and I average 23-24 mpg freeway.

I have never regretted going with the I4, but I did drive a 22R Yota pu before my taco.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #15
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 4cyl, 4x4, AC, with 5 spd. It suits my needs perfectly and does not feel underpowered to me.

My only comment is that I would not want the 4 cyl paired to an automatic trans. PERIOD

If you can't go manual trans with the 4 cyl, get the 6cyl.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #17
rademan11 is on a distinguished road
rademan11's Tacoma Gallery
You will regret the I-4.
We always regret what we don't have.
Automatic.....get V-6
Resale value.....get V-6
Old 06-14-2014, 04:25 AM   #18
PattonT is on a distinguished road
Army: 25 id
PattonT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rademan11 View Post
You will regret the I-4.
We always regret what we don't have.
Automatic.....get V-6
Resale value.....get V-6
I can argue every one of those points.

I do not regret the 4cyl and to prove it I have continuously searched out and bought them.

I do not mind having an automatic, but I do think the 18% overdrive is too excessive. It should be a 12% IMHO.

Historically Toyota 4cyl last longer and people are really starting to spread the word. The Tacoma before my current one was a 2003 2.7 and I sold it to a woman replacing her blown 1997 in a 3.4. She was more than happy to buy mine with its 2.7 that her mechanic told her to look for.

I have only regretted my 4cyl because they do not come presided for a brake controller and because I have needed to tow a car twice. I have towed 6500lbs with my old boss' 2007 4.0 and thought it was too much trailer on the truck. With that said, I almost feel like 5k lbs is the most I would really want to tow with any Tacoma. So the 3500lbs my truck is rated at keeps me from doing stuff I don't want to tow anyway.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #19
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Best point made, I think, is to think real hard and certainly test drive one if you are considering pairing a 4 banger with an automatic in a Tacoma.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #20
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh43 View Post
When you say good gas milage, what are you talking? 20?
Yeah, I usually am ~22mpg with a 3'' lift and 285s.