Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Is it worth "upgrading" to a 265/70r16?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
sacha7905 [OP] sacha7905 is offline
Member
sacha7905 is on a distinguished road
 
sacha7905's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2012, #82770
Location: Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
sacha7905's Tacoma Gallery
Is it worth "upgrading" to a 265/70r16?

My stock 4x4 reg cab has the standard 245/75/r16 dunlops on them and I was wondering if it was worth "upgrading" to the trd stock size tire 265/70r16 but in an all terrain (havnt been able to find pics)? All the pictures of regular cabs i've seen have the wider 265/75r16 but i've heard that you loose a decent bit power and mpg and varying report of rubbing. Basically I was hoping to fill out the wheel well some more and make it look more agressive. Not looking to lift until the truck is out of warranty. Thanks. Also, will an all terrain tire be bigger than the standard highway tire (i.e. is a 245/75/r16 bfg all terrain "bigger" than the stock dunlops even though they are the same size?) If you have pics feel free to post them. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MGMTacolover55's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2013, #96545
Location: Orygun
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,269
MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha7905 View Post
My stock 4x4 reg cab has the standard 245/75/r16 dunlops on them and I was wondering if it was worth "upgrading" to the trd stock size tire 265/70r16 but in an all terrain? All the pictures of regular cabs i've seen have 265/75/r16 but i've heard that you loose a decent bit power and mpg and varying report of rubbing. Basically I was hoping to fill out the wheel well some more and make it look more agressive. Not looking to lift until the truck is out of warranty. Thanks. Also, will an all terrain tire be bigger than the standard highway tire (i.e. is a 245/75/r16 bfg all terrain "bigger" than the stock dunlops even though they are the same size?) If you have pics feel free to post them. Thanks
You epould be fine but power and mpg would suffer. But hey its your truck man I would just do what you want with it. You could always go with bfg all terrains in the stock sized tire you currently have on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
hoenah808 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jan 2014, #121533
Location: Honolulu, HI
Gender: Male
Posts: 336
hoenah808's Tacoma Gallery
I got 265/75/16s put on after about 1200 miles on my '14 reg cab. going 50 with the stocks the truck felt very unstable like the truck was wandering around, the new tires fixed that right up. yes you do lose power and some mpg not much but for me to care tho. i have no rubbing issues at all and im at stock height.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
sacha7905 [OP] sacha7905 is offline
Member
sacha7905 is on a distinguished road
 
sacha7905's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2012, #82770
Location: Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
sacha7905's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoenah808 View Post
I got 265/75/16s put on after about 1200 miles on my '14 reg cab. going 50 with the stocks the truck felt very unstable like the truck was wandering around, the new tires fixed that right up. yes you do lose power and some mpg not much but for me to care tho. i have no rubbing issues at all and im at stock height.
Do you have any pictures? Your gallery was empty. Also, did your tire shop have to do anything special to get it aligned and balanced? Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
hoenah808 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jan 2014, #121533
Location: Honolulu, HI
Gender: Male
Posts: 336
hoenah808's Tacoma Gallery


tire place had no problems balancing tires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
sacha7905 [OP] sacha7905 is offline
Member
sacha7905 is on a distinguished road
 
sacha7905's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2012, #82770
Location: Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
sacha7905's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoenah808 View Post


tire place had no problems balancing tires.
It's amazing how tires can change the look of a truck! I have aftermarket that the dealer installed, but i guess the offset is the same as stock.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Junior Member
plaidad is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2014, #130729
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
plaidad's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my 2009 Access Cab, the prior owner had put 235/85-16's on it. Way too tall and skinny. When I replaced them, I went with 265/70-16's. I know I would get a little bit better mileage with the stock size, but for me, the better handling and stopping is worth it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
hoenah808 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jan 2014, #121533
Location: Honolulu, HI
Gender: Male
Posts: 336
hoenah808's Tacoma Gallery
yup the 245 stocks were great on gas but damn sacrificed handling greatly. plus I go fishing a lot and the rocks ate those tires up on my first trip to my spot. and my spot is only a 3min drive on rocky terrain lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #9
Junior Member
Chief Ten Bears is on a distinguished road
 
Chief Ten Bears's Avatar
Law Enforcement:
Joined: Jun 2014, #131885
Location: Southern Maryland
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Chief Ten Bears's Tacoma Gallery
I just upgraded to Nitto Terra Grapplers in 265/70-R16.
I haven't had them long enough to check gas mileage yet but I haven't noticed any difference in power. If there is, it's minor. The Terra Grapplers are about 3/4" wider and is almost identical in other dimensions. No speedometer reprograming needed and no rubbing at all with the stock suspension.
Look at my post here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ock-truck.html

I posted a comparison chart so you can see the difference from the stock Dunlop tires and the 265/70-R16. Other than being a little wider, the dimensions are almost identical. I am really happy with the upgrade.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
sacha7905 [OP] sacha7905 is offline
Member
sacha7905 is on a distinguished road
 
sacha7905's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2012, #82770
Location: Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
sacha7905's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I just upgraded to Nitto Terra Grapplers in 265/70-R16.
I haven't had them long enough to check gas mileage yet but I haven't noticed any difference in power. If there is, it's minor. The Terra Grapplers are about 3/4" wider and is almost identical in other dimensions. No speedometer reprograming needed and no rubbing at all with the stock suspension.
Look at my post here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ock-truck.html

I posted a comparison chart so you can see the difference from the stock Dunlop tires and the 265/70-R16. Other than being a little wider, the dimensions are almost identical. I am really happy with the upgrade.
Thanks, I think i'm going with the 265/70r16 rather than the 75. I don't want any power loss or the possibility of rubbing while off road. A few quick questions: When you say stock suspension do you have the 3 leaf pack 2 leaf and an overload) or the 4 leaf (3 leafs and an overload)? Also, I have different rims that the dealer put on my truck when i bought it and those are running the 245's. If I upgrade to the other factory size of 265/70r16 like you have, I shouldn't have to worry about having a wrong offset or it not fitting since both are factory sizes, right? Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
tomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of light
 
tomwil's Avatar
Joined: May 2014, #129887
Location: East Coast USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 233
tomwil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoenah808 View Post
I got 265/75/16s put on after about 1200 miles on my '14 reg cab. going 50 with the stocks the truck felt very unstable like the truck was wandering around, the new tires fixed that right up. yes you do lose power and some mpg not much but for me to care tho. i have no rubbing issues at all and im at stock height.
What tires are they? They look nice and aggressive!

EDIT: Found it here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
hoenah808 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jan 2014, #121533
Location: Honolulu, HI
Gender: Male
Posts: 336
hoenah808's Tacoma Gallery
yeah kumhos..got about 3600 miles on them so far...if your not into loud humming tires lol these arent for you. these will get loud, not swampers loud but pretty noisey
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
Junior Member
Chief Ten Bears is on a distinguished road
 
Chief Ten Bears's Avatar
Law Enforcement:
Joined: Jun 2014, #131885
Location: Southern Maryland
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Chief Ten Bears's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha7905 View Post
Thanks, I think i'm going with the 265/70r16 rather than the 75. I don't want any power loss or the possibility of rubbing while off road. A few quick questions: When you say stock suspension do you have the 3 leaf pack 2 leaf and an overload) or the 4 leaf (3 leafs and an overload)? Also, I have different rims that the dealer put on my truck when i bought it and those are running the 245's. If I upgrade to the other factory size of 265/70r16 like you have, I shouldn't have to worry about having a wrong offset or it not fitting since both are factory sizes, right? Thanks.
My truck has two leafs and an overload. The rear has plenty of clearance, it was the front I was originally concerned about. The Nitto 265/70-R16 is only about a 1/10th of an inch larger in diameter than the Dunlop 245/75-R16. If you have these on your rims now, you shouldn't see any problems.
I am very happy with mine, I am glad I bought them. A way better handling tire than the stock Dunlops.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about rubbing with "Wheelers Offroad rims" & 265/70R16 absolutionx 1st Gen. Tacomas 2 03-08-2013 06:31 PM
16" TRD Offroad wheels with P 265/70R16 BFG RT jcayce Wheels & Tires Marketplace 50 10-20-2012 07:20 PM
Four Tacoma 16" OEM Wheels & BFG 265/70R16 Long Trail Tires jgrantthomas Wheels & Tires Marketplace 2 09-16-2012 09:41 PM
265/70R16, 265/75R16 & 285/70R16 TAC1 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 01-08-2012 07:11 PM
Worth upgrading 16" steelies to 16" aluminum? Polymerhead 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 12-26-2010 08:14 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.