Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

snorkel

Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
yota2000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Emilee
yota2000's Tacoma Gallery
snorkel

i am thinking about getting a snorkel for my 2000 Tacoma and it is a 4 cyl. Wondering if this makes a difference and if its difficult to put on?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Off the Meds Again...
wgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wgreenlee1021's Tacoma Gallery
Difference?
Difference in what?
A snorkel (I thought) was made to make it possible to go in deep water.
I wouldn't think the routing and connection would hard at all with basic tools.
I dunno.
Maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota2000 View Post
i am thinking about getting a snorkel for my 2000 Tacoma and it is a 4 cyl. Wondering if this makes a difference and if its difficult to put on?
It depends. My Snorkel was made for my truck and wasn't very difficult. It came with a template for my hood to mark the holes, it took some nerve to drill 5 holes into my perfectly good fender. Take your time and it will come out nice.

Edit:
The purpose of a snorkel is to help with dust. The secondary function is to protect your motor against water. The thing is once you have a snorkel you can't just drive through 4' deep water. There are still many other components that shouldn't get wet. The benefit is you aren't going to fly through a puddle and accidentally hydro-lock yourself. Also if you do install a snorkel you will want to seal off the drain holes in your intake otherwise water will still be able to get in. I used silicone to seal those holes.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
yota2000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Emilee
yota2000's Tacoma Gallery
so it helps with dust - i did not realize this. I live on a dirt road so it would be better for my truck in the long run to have it to protect under my hood from the dust?

Edit:
The purpose of a snorkel is to help with dust. The secondary function is to protect your motor against water. The thing is once you have a snorkel you can't just drive through 4' deep water. There are still many other components that shouldn't get wet. The benefit is you aren't going to fly through a puddle and accidentally hydro-lock yourself. Also if you do install a snorkel you will want to seal off the drain holes in your intake otherwise water will still be able to get in. I used silicone to seal those holes.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Off the Meds Again...
wgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wgreenlee1021's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The purpose of a snorkel is to help with dust. The secondary function is to protect your motor against water. The thing is once you have a snorkel you can't just drive through 4' deep water. There are still many other components that shouldn't get wet. The benefit is you aren't going to fly through a puddle and accidentally hydro-lock yourself. Also if you do install a snorkel you will want to seal off the drain holes in your intake otherwise water will still be able to get in. I used silicone to seal those holes.

I learn't sumpin new...cool....Dust also?Thanks.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
My snorkel will pay for itself in no time. 1 air filter/ month gets adds up. Installed snorkel about a month ago, and filter still looks new. I drive on a ton of farm roads