1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hoping for some info.

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by tatown, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    tatown

tatown [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Wichita
    Hello, I am not currently a Tacoma owner however I am leaning very hard towards a access cab, 4x4, 2.7.

I will not be hauling or pulling anything on a regular basis. Trash, furniture, appliances, lawn related, basically domestic stuff time to time. So the power issue really isn't a concern. Also in south central Kansas hills are non existent, ha ha.

Two questions really:

1. The listed mpg is 19-21 for this set up I believe, can I trust those numbers?

2. Not often but from time to time I might need to fit my wife and two boys in it. Are the back jump seats or whatever they are ok size for getting around town in? Not talking all the time and certainly not talking road trips.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

3. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I've had four adults in my access cab. The jump seats are not very comfortable and a little cramped for adults, but kids do fine:thumbsup:
    Welcome to TW!:wave:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  4. Jul 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Driving habits have a lot to do with mpg. My truck (manual transmission) has never gotten below about 23 or 24 mpg since I got it.

Never tried sitting in the back seats. They looked too uncomfortable for my long legs.

5. Jul 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    1. Yes I believe 21mpg is easily possible in a 2.7 4x4 access cab, provided everything is stock and you drive it gently.
    2. A 2nd gen access cab can fit 4 adults, technically. If your sons aren't over 5'10" it should be fine for short trips or around town. If they are over 5'10" you might hear some griping from time to time. Glad to hear you aren't planning on any road trips with them back there.

6. Jul 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Put lightweight alloy wheels and high pressure gas shocks on it and you'll be good to go.

7. Jul 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) Andy welcome to the forum, and for wanting a four cylinder motor in your Tacoma. For your gas mileage, in the beginning you will not get the expected gas mileage. The motor is built to tight tolerances and needs to be driven to loosen up and then the gas mileage will climb to normal or near normal levels, according to your driving style. I was disappointed by my first few tanks of gas at the actual gas mileage, but it does get better as you drive more. Good Luck.

8. Jul 12, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I'll second this. The fuel mileage is possible given a sane driver. Avoid modifications such as huge tires or playing around with the engine. The 2.7 liter 3RZ-FE engine is a really good engine. Duel overhead cams, 4 valves /cylinder, individual coil packs, multi-port fuel injection, twin balance shafts. It's a fairly sophisticated 4 cylinder but still a solid design in terms of durability. It makes a fair amount of useful torque and still gets decent fuel mileage.
    As for the jump seats, I've had three adults and one late teenager in my truck and it's a bit snug but do-able for short trips.

9. Jul 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I have the 2.7 Access. I love it but if you buy one and you get snow in Wichita coat the frame first thing. If you buy used check the frame B 4 U buy. Tacoma's are great trucks but Toyota won't coat the frames at the factory so it should be on the top of your maintenance list - ask me why I know. This only applies if you are going to keep the truck - disregard all this if you are a guy that trades every 3 years.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top