Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

MPG and Header?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Steve E is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 14th CE & 15th CE USAF
Steve E's Tacoma Gallery
MPG and Header?

Thinking about a header for my 08 Auto Access Cab with it's 4 banger and was wondering if it will improve gas mileage. Any info on this?

Steve E........
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It may a little bit.....maybe 1 mpg or so.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
if you are going to invest in a header go all the way and put on a high flow muffler like a flowmaster 50 series or borla turbo to get the most MPG and performance. if you have a v6 consider increasing the exhaust tube.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
if you are going to invest in a header go all the way and put on a high flow muffler like a flowmaster 50 series or borla turbo to get the most MPG and performance. if you have a v6 consider increasing the exhaust tube.

Depends...want high end horsepower, or maintain low end torque?

I dunno about anyone else, but my truck spends a lot more time in the lower revs than the higher ones.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
Flowmaster mufflers are not a "High Flow" muffler. They are a baffled muffler, and in most cases, actually cause a loss of hp.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Flowmaster mufflers are not a "High Flow" muffler. They are a baffled muffler, and in most cases, actually cause a loss of hp.
+1

Flowchokers flow no better than stock. They are just good for making lots of noise.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Chris, what was that muffler setup that you tested that actually improved performance and fuel economy? (I have a fuzzy memory this morning)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
pointtoretrieve is on a distinguished road

pointtoretrieve's Tacoma Gallery
I have just installed the DT header and have the stock piping with 44 series flowmaster also have the K&N Filter Charger 255/75/17 BFG M/T's and love the performance gains from this i training dogs for duck hunting Part time and tow a 6 hole stainless steel dog trailer around off road and also drive 200 + round trip to work and am pleased with the gas mpg of the 4 Cylinder beats a 6 all day long on MPG and the 4 wont be to far behind at the track on a head up race. This is my second 06 tacoma 2.7 4x4 picked my newest one up in Green Bay and drove it back to NC i got around 380 miles per tank running around 70 to 80 mph avg. I will be going to the local Dyno to check the gains and also will be checking the mpg and coming up with the totals. I love the truck and love the performance the past couple days that i have put the exhaust on it with the header i have had several compliments on the way it sounds. Just my two cents
Old 08-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Turb0wned will become famous soon enough
Name: Joel
Turb0wned's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't think Tacoma people were actually worried about MPG. Im new to the tacomas that why I say that. I came from a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab. If that thing got the kind of mpg even the v6 tacomas got I wouldn't have sold it.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Chris, what was that muffler setup that you tested that actually improved performance and fuel economy? (I have a fuzzy memory this morning)
Gibson, Borlar, are a couple that gave small gains. Best ghain was ith a Dynomax Super Turbo. Still, the gain was only around 5 hp.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Dynomax - that was the one that I couldn't think of. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Dynomax - that was the one that I couldn't think of. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
what about the magnaflows
Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
what about the magnaflows
They were the same as the Gibson, and Borla....I test a couple others, but I cant remember the names right now....Im still decompressing from work, I guess.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gibson, Borlar, are a couple that gave small gains. Best ghain was ith a Dynomax Super Turbo. Still, the gain was only around 5 hp.

Nice! I just ordered a Dynomax Super Turbo #17748. I called around Tucson, the cheapest place I found it was around $70 w/o install. Another shop was telling $105 and $145 for the install. I took the web and found it for $51.69 w/ free shipping! A local shop said they could install it for $30 bucks.

I read people on here saying its a good muffler. I came across these Tacoma videos that help me make my final choice.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #16
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
Nice! I just ordered a Dynomax Super Turbo #17748. I called around Tucson, the cheapest place I found it was around $70 w/o install. Another shop was telling $105 and $145 for the install. I took the web and found it for $51.69 w/ free shipping! A local shop said they could install it for $30 bucks.

I read people on here saying its a good muffler. I came across these Tacoma videos that help me make my final choice.
Thanks for the link. I am going the same route. Should be a nice combo with the DTLTs!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #18
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
I will buy some DT in the future. Hopefully soon....
Ya I got them cheap semi locally. I am honestly not hugely impressed, but they do provide a nice kick higher up
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Considering our displacement, 5 hp from just a muffler is pretty good.