Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Duratracs on your 2.7's?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
drogers0031 is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
drogers0031's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs on your 2.7's?

I've been running 265 75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck. Really like them and I've gotten over 60k miles on them. Needless to say I'm now in the market for new a set of tires and I'm considering going with DuraTracs.

-Has anyone had experience running both tires?
-Do you think the DuraTracs will be much noisier?
-Will my mpg drop dramatically if I switch to duratracs?

* I should add that most of my driving is on paved roadway and I off road primarily in sand. I'm not overly impressed with the Terra Grapplers in off road conditions but they are great on the road. Bottom line, if I won't be sacrificing too much then I'm inclined to try something new. I worry a bit about overloading my 4 banger with beefier tires but perhaps I shouldn't be. Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here but I haven't come across any posts with users that have had experience running both tires. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
TYetti is on a distinguished road

Name: Mat
TYetti's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 265/75R16 E BFG AT KO's and sliders and I don't feel for a second that the engine can't handle it, also still getting 630km per tank city/wheeling

i know not duratracs but the're comparable and my sliders are huge lol
Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
mulishataco13 is on a distinguished road

mulishataco13's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 235/85/16 Duratracs and they are not that noisy.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs aren't very noisy. My old KM2's were quieter....

But onto the topic of Duratracs. They're a good snow tire, but they're pieces of shit on any other type of road. I've had mine for about 9 months, two side punctures. 10k miles on them and the 3 remaining are at 65%.

Don't buy them.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
TYetti is on a distinguished road

Name: Mat
TYetti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by License2Ill View Post
Duratracs aren't very noisy. My old KM2's were quieter....

But onto the topic of Duratracs. They're a good snow tire, but they're pieces of shit on any other type of road. I've had mine for about 9 months, two side punctures. 10k miles on them and the 3 remaining are at 65%.

Don't buy them.
This is why I went with bfg seen too many rigs on the trail with blown up duratracs
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
drogers0031 is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
drogers0031's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses. The more I am reading about duractacs the more hesitant I am to purchase them. Started out reading a lot of good reviews but now I am seeing more criticism. May have to just stick with the Nitto TGs.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYetti View Post
This is why I went with bfg seen too many rigs on the trail with blown up duratracs
BFG and GY make some decent tires. But duratracs are a lousy tire in most situations, primarily the paper-thin side-wall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers0031 View Post
Thanks for the responses. The more I am reading about duractacs the more hesitant I am to purchase them. Started out reading a lot of good reviews but now I am seeing more criticism. May have to just stick with the Nitto TGs.

If you want a decent opinion of how people feel about duratracs on this forum post a topic in the 'Off-Roading and Trails section'.
I'm not familiar with the TG's, but if you've been happy and got 60k with them than I'd personally stick with 'em. I don't want you wasting money like I just did.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
4 Bangin' SOB
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
If you're second guessing the duratracs, perhaps consider general grabber AT's .. they last forever and are cheaper than BFG's. just my .02