Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Anyone put a V6 TRD exhaust on their 2.7?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pool Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone put a V6 TRD exhaust on their 2.7?

Have a 2014 DC, 2.7 and would like to possibly install the TRD cat-back system from the 4.0L. I've looked under both trucks, and the plumbing looks to be the same, right down to the hanger points, but something might be different near the flange, I just couldn't really tell from a quick glance.

Either way, if the area near the flange is slightly different, I could possibly have an exhaust shop weld it where it needs to go.

Just wondering if any 2.7 owners here have done this, and was it worth it? IMO the TRD exhaust sounds perfect on the 4.0 V6, so my guess is it would sound pretty good on the 2.7.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
i think i remember someone doing it but there was no performance gain or anything.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
Kyleinator is on a distinguished road
Name: Kyle
Kyleinator's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious about this as well. I have seen many people selling the TRD exhaust and it looks similar. I had the TRD exhaust on my Scion TC and it was perfect. Added a little sound but it wasn't obnoxious.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
disk_55FL is on a distinguished road

Name: disk
disk_55FL's Tacoma Gallery
I did the Magnaflow ( IDK about the TRD fitting ) ....... 2010 AC ....... had to cut ~ 6 inches off the long pipe. Other than that it fit well. Stainless and sounds good.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer View Post
i think i remember someone doing it but there was no performance gain or anything.
I don't care about any performance gain (long as there is no loss) just looking for a deeper, more audible sound. Seeing that the TRD system is OEM, that appeals to me, over a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla etc... type setup.

From everything I can tell, the only difference between the 2.7 & 4.0 plumbing is where the flange near the cat meets, which looks like could easily be welded by reputable shop cheaply.

IMO, the TRD system is the only exhaust that does the V6 justice, so I would expect it to sound about perfect on the 2.7.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by disk_55FL View Post
I did the Magnaflow ( IDK about the TRD fitting ) ....... 2010 AC ....... had to cut ~ 6 inches off the long pipe. Other than that it fit well. Stainless and sounds good.
Was that a Magnaflow kit made for a V6?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
At least one person did

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...er-w-pics.html
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
Thanks for the work, that sounds better than I thought it would. Nice blend of performance sound, without sounding obnoxious or like a fartcan. I think I'm sold.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
The sound quality on the video SUX.
The TRD exhaust has become slightly louder over time.
In real life it's significantly louder than what the video represents.
I'd say it sounds like a 350Z had a baby with a modified WRX.
It's loud enough to sound amazing through the rev band accelerating but not overkill/obnoxious plus when cruising at 35/45/65/75mph or whatever speed it's nearly silent= zero drone. It's louder and sounds better on a 4cyl vs my buddies TRD exhaust on his V6.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
disk_55FL is on a distinguished road

Name: disk
disk_55FL's Tacoma Gallery
The Magnaflow number was 16625.

My paperwork said for I4 and V6 '05 & up ..... 2.7 / 4.0L / Ext. cab / crew cab short bed.