Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 exhaust gasket

Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
hortona is on a distinguished road
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2.7 exhaust gasket

I am new to this forum, but I have the 3rz-fe engine and changed my exhaust manifold last week. But I don't know what gaskets to use where the frontpipe meets the manifold. I have looked all over and have not found any that have worked. Any suggestions help. thanks!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortona View Post
I am new to this forum, but I have the 3rz-fe engine and changed my exhaust manifold last week. But I don't know what gaskets to use where the frontpipe meets the manifold. I have looked all over and have not found any that have worked. Any suggestions help. thanks!
Might they be those metallic disks that crush to seal when the parts are bolted together?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toyota-T...0d54fe&vxp=mtr

Old 08-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
Question all suggestions help

maybe. I'll try them. Thanks! I was also wondering if anyone else has had a leak where the frontpipe meats the exhaust manifold.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Puretac is on a distinguished road
Puretac's Tacoma Gallery
You can also use some of the permatex ultra copper gasket sealer and put some around the gasket.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe if you could post a pic of the joint in question, it might help.

I had a 1996 2.4 and it used those metal crush gaskets on the Catalytic convertor flanges. One leaked after about 15 years, so I replaced it and everything was fine again.

Greg
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
where it is leaking

Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
This is where the pipe bolts into and where it is leaking.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you want them to last, use OEM from the dealer.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

I know I just got the crappiest one I could find and am paying the price for it. If youve changed your manifold what did you use for gaskets.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
You want to get the Toyota metal crush gaskets.

Part Number: 9091706061

Front pipe gasket 2.4 & 2.7 LITER
Item #5 on image MSRP
$8.13Online Price
$6.11
http://www.trdpartscenter.com/parts/...&siteid=215054

trdpartscenter.com are good people. I've bought parts from them before and their service is great.

You can either get those gaskets... or get one of these LCE long tube headers instead...

They don't need the two gaskets because the down pipe is eliminated. It comes complete including the single metal crush gasket for where the header collector flange connects to your catalytic converter. I ran one of these long tubes on my 1996 2.4 for a decade, and the engine had LOTS more low end pull.

Greg
Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help. I am probably going to get that long tube header. But that gaskets link helped me out a ton.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Happy to help out. And there's no rush. LCE has been making those headers for many years. They're a good company and they manufacture high quality very well designed products. I'm running their long tube folded runner header on my 2012 2.7...

On the dyno it lowered the torque peak from 3,800 rpms down to 3,150 rpms.
Greg
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
MrRiverMan is on a distinguished road

MrRiverMan's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if there is a different gasket required now that I've swapped my manifold for one of the OEM headers?

I used factory gaskets when I swapped it. They started leaking after 15k miles. I replaced those with a set of Fel-Pros that didn't work. I tried using that ultra copper to seal a set, and that didn't work. Then I doubled up the Fel-Pros and used ultra copper, and that's not working either. I really want to get this leak buttoned up so that I can have my old power and mileage back, and stop the stink in the cab. Any tips appreciated.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have any ideas but I have a leak going into my egr and its pissing me off
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #15
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiverMan View Post
Does anyone know if there is a different gasket required now that I've swapped my manifold for one of the OEM headers?

I used factory gaskets when I swapped it. They started leaking after 15k miles. I replaced those with a set of Fel-Pros that didn't work. I tried using that ultra copper to seal a set, and that didn't work. Then I doubled up the Fel-Pros and used ultra copper, and that's not working either. I really want to get this leak buttoned up so that I can have my old power and mileage back, and stop the stink in the cab. Any tips appreciated.
My solution was to get the LCE header and completely eliminate the damned down pipe. Not only did it totally resolve the issue once and for all, the added gain in performance was well worth the cost.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #16
MrRiverMan is on a distinguished road

MrRiverMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
My solution was to get the LCE header and completely eliminate the damned down pipe. Not only did it totally resolve the issue once and for all, the added gain in performance was well worth the cost.
That would work, but I just dropped $200 on the mini-header last fall and don't have that much more money to throw down on yet another exhaust. I'm also not sure I could easily get the bolts off the back end of the downpipe without cutting since they've been on there 19 years and 240k miles.

I ordered OEM gaskets from the dealer on Tuesday because they said they could get them here Wednesday. Now it's Friday, and one of the two has finally arrived. Eventually I will get both gaskets (like maybe Tuesday?), and I'll post here as to whether a new set of OEM gaskets fixes the leak.

FWIW, I did a bunch of searching and discovered that Toyota uses the same part number donut gaskets (90917-06061) on both the cast manifold and the mini-header for all first gen Tacomas with 3rzs.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
hortona's Tacoma Gallery
darn

where my manifold connects to the egr I will turn the bolt but it doesnt get tighter, it just spins in place? any suggestions
Old 09-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
berk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of light
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Drill and tap bigger or helicoils. Or weld fill and drill.