Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

What's Your MPG Loss After 1-2" Lift

Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Idaho is on a distinguished road
Army:
Idaho's Tacoma Gallery
What's Your MPG Loss After 1-2" Lift

Picked up my '14 access cab with the 4 cylinder a couple week ago brand new, and looking to get new shocks for an improved on-road ride. My driving is 85% road as my DD with weekend trips to mountain biking trails and fishing spots, so washboard dirt roads.

Looking at a few options. These include OME, Ironman, and possibly a 2.0/2.5 coil over set from the 'ol buy/sell here.

Not looking for opinions on the lift, but looking for what members' experiences have been with MPG loss with a 1-2" lift as that's the minimum that seems reasonable to achieve with any of these options.

I would also be keeping the stock wheels/tires as I know going bigger would just eat up the MPG's. Purposely bought the 4-banger to get better mileage and I'm not wanting to lose the 22+ mpg's it is getting so far.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
MKW is on a distinguished road

MKW's Tacoma Gallery
Same tires=same MPG. It's bigger/heavier tires that kill MPGs.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
weezer is on a distinguished road

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
i didn't notice a loss in mpgs with a lift or with bigger tires either. stock was 245/75/16 running 265/75/16 now.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I lost about .5 mpg/gal. after the lift. You *may* lose some aerodynamics if you get rid of the rake.

I lost another 2 with the bigger tires.

I was constantly getting 20.5 mpg according the my ultragauge before any modifications. Down to 20 with the lift and down to 18 with the heavier/bigger tires.

FWIW, I have the v6 auto.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
NoSilverBullet is on a distinguished road
NoSilverBullet's Tacoma Gallery
My truck was fitted with a complete OME suspension (roughly 2.5 inch lift) at about the same time as I got a bunch other things added, so I can't tell how the lift itself affected fuel consumption.

I went from basically stock and added a fiberglass canopy/topper, rock sliders, skid plates and also a wooden sleeping platform in the bed. I'd say that's over 500 lbs of added weight, which is sure to have an effect on gas mileage.

The bottom line is that I lost about 2 mpg overall.

The canopy is what I think affected the most the truck handling and power for acceleration, keeping speed going up hills, etc. So I'm thinking the weight of the accessories is what made the biggest difference.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
weezer is on a distinguished road

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
i only lifted the front end 1 1/2" with OME 883 lifting springs so there is still a 1 1/2" rake front to rear. the stock rake was about 3" so it cut it in half.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
COLD ASS HONKY
MagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AARON
MagneticTaco79's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to stay with stock tires on a base 4cyl truck and your that concerned about mpgs than I would just leave it stock. What exactly do you want the lift for? Your not going to gain any real noticeable ground clearance with out going to a bigger tire and there is plenty of flex room for the stock tires and what your doing.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
I did a full OME 2.5" lift and loss nothing. I drive 85 miles round trip to work and calculate MPGs several times a week. That lasted for about a month. Then I got bigger tires and loss about 1.5 - 2 mpg.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
Idaho is on a distinguished road
Army:
Idaho's Tacoma Gallery
I'm simply looking for better ride quality. The only option to not lift the front end really is 5100's or dropping the cash for a 2.5/2.0 coil that then might be too bouncy at stock height due to lack of coil preload.

So figured a 1-2" is what I will have to go with realistically as the majority of a better ride will come from springs/leaves. Perhaps I am wrong, but after building multiple remote resi ram 2500's, one with king long travel 2.5s, that's just what my experience has shown me. Putting new shocks on the stock coils will not usually result in anything that's significantly worth-while.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
2" lift running 35s I get 13 mpg. If you (in general) think running a lift doesn't affect mpg you are wrong, there is wind resistance and drag added.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #11
cementslinger is on a distinguished road

Marines: Combat Engineer (retired)
Name: Nick
cementslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I'll probably lose my man card here but what I'm about to tell you really works. I know because I've done it. Experience talking here... Monroe Sens A Trac 's. Front and rear. World of difference on the washboard gravel roads. I lived on a gravel road for years and would damnear rattle right off the road 'til I got Sensatracs. Didn't need any lift or mods.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
2" lift running 35s I get 13 mpg. If you (in general) think running a lift doesn't affect mpg you are wrong, there is wind resistance and drag added.
^^^This

I lost about 1.5 or so with 3" lift and 285's with the v6. I also have rock sliders and a bed rack.