1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve Job Vs. Rebuilt Motor

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by PDXtacoma85, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    PDXtacoma85

PDXtacoma85 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Portlandia
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    My truck has a dead #3 cylinder with 80 lbs compression (others are ~180lbs), which is most likely a burnt exhaust valve. It looks like I need to have my head machined, a new exhaust valve or two put in, new valve seats ect. This job is a bit more than I am willing/able to do with my tools and mechanical know how. I've contacted a few shops in my area and they've quoted me around 2K to do the top end. They also quoted me 6K to rebuild my motor (or buy a "warrantied" rebuilt motor). My truck has 192K miles, so I am a little worried about just doing the top end as the increased pressure will start to cause the piston rings to begin to fail. From what I have read, it seems like these shops are trying to stick it too me with the costs. Also, my truck isn't worth much more than what they want for the engine replacement, so that isn't really an option. I guess my question(s) are: should I go ahead and do the top end and what is a reasonable cost for this?

2. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    Fordless

Fordless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC SR5+
    You can buy a complete reman head (cams and all) for around $500 or new for around $600 on ebay. Your bottom end probably has quite a bit of life left to it. If necessary I would just throw a new top end on it and keep riding.

Just an idea, but are you sure your valves aren't so out of adjustment that it's holding an exhaust valve open? U might want to scope it b4 pulling it apart.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 17, 2015 at 9:47 PM
    buzzboy

buzzboy Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2001 Creampuff
    2 into 1 lighter adapter!
    Just curious what the OP did?

4. Apr 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    Moose1776

Moose1776 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Seatte, WA
    Vehicle:
    98 taco 321k miles
    Back in December I replaced two burnt exhaust valves at 316k miles, no issues with the bottom end or rings, I'm nearing 322k miles. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429922970.576806.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top