1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I tow and haul this?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Turd Herding Jim, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Sep 7, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Turd Herding Jim [OP] What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    Dear TacomaWorld friends,

Next summer I will finally be coming back to the United States after being stationed in Japan for 2.5 years. I'm wondering if my '07 Taco with the 2.7L, 5 speed manual 4x4 with 4.56 gearing will be able to tow a 14' fiberglass boat AND haul a snowmobile from WI to WA. I'm concerned about when I get to the Rockies.

I've towed a 12' enclosed trailer packed full from VA to WI with this truck and it did ok in the baby mountains of WV.

Just seeing what you guys/girls think. Might be time for me to finally get a fullsize truck.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. Sep 7, 2014 at 5:18 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    As long as you have some type of AAL, helper spring, or extended bump stop to prevent too much sag, I wouldn't worry too much about getting it moving. My concern would be stopping it while coming down a mountain. Does the boat trailer have brakes?

3. Sep 7, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    I wouldn't do it.. I pulled a 12ft trailer loaded down from eastern NC to the my house in the mountains of NC and the gorge you have to go through really took some shifting to keep it moving.. I don't know about the roads over in the west... I assume they are much worse..

Im not saying it cant do it.. If you do it may mean being in the tractor trailer lane and just cruising a slow speeds.. But braking down mountains and pulling up mountains is going to really put the truck through its paces I can guarantee it

4. Sep 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    I did a whole lot of shifting and slow laning while in WV with that loaded trailer. Really sucked. The going down the mountains would definitely be the hard part. Time to upgrade I suppose. Too bad, been a very fun truck. Better look into that new F-150!

5. Sep 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    Oh, I'm sure you could do it but there are some serious mountains in western Montana once you get past Butte which if you're going to WA on I-90 you'll be going through. Then there is Snoqualamie in WA just before Seattle. You'd be going real slow. Even in an F-150 you won't break any records speed wise.

6. Sep 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    bicyclist

bicyclist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interestingly, the mountains in the East are lower, but the climbs are steeper. In the West, the climbs are longer, but the grades aren't as steep. With a manual transmission, you'll be OK. Not the fastest on the road, but you'll make it.

7. Sep 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    I would never trade in a great truck with a one-time "need" being the only reason.
    I would just use my truck and take my time.

If you want a new truck, just get a new truck.

8. Sep 27, 2014 at 1:00 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    After some serious talking through it with the misses that's the conclusion we've come to. We'll just worry about upgrading once we have kids and they'll be too big for the access cab.

It took some very long talking on my part to explain to her that to get a truck with ALMOST everything I've put on this one would put us over $45,000 a fullsize.

Why didn't I just buy the DCLB to begin with?! :facepalm:

Oh, and the boat thing fell through. I was going to buy it from my folks, but then they bought water front property and now I'm still boatless.

9. Sep 27, 2014 at 3:02 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Time to start saving your pennies lol Great avatar! GO PACK!
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-19-23-10-1_zpsdc3c_52978dcc678b5b0243dd542efc395f5077e149b6.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top