Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Can I tow and haul this?

Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Hull Technician 2nd Class
Name: Big Jim
Turd Herding Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Can I tow and haul this?

Dear TacomaWorld friends,

Next summer I will finally be coming back to the United States after being stationed in Japan for 2.5 years. I'm wondering if my '07 Taco with the 2.7L, 5 speed manual 4x4 with 4.56 gearing will be able to tow a 14' fiberglass boat AND haul a snowmobile from WI to WA. I'm concerned about when I get to the Rockies.

I've towed a 12' enclosed trailer packed full from VA to WI with this truck and it did ok in the baby mountains of WV.

Just seeing what you guys/girls think. Might be time for me to finally get a fullsize truck.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Herding Jim View Post
Dear TacomaWorld friends,

Next summer I will finally be coming back to the United States after being stationed in Japan for 2.5 years. I'm wondering if my '07 Taco with the 2.7L, 5 speed manual 4x4 with 4.56 gearing will be able to tow a 14' fiberglass boat AND haul a snowmobile from WI to WA. I'm concerned about when I get to the Rockies.

I've towed a 12' enclosed trailer packed full from VA to WI with this truck and it did ok in the baby mountains of WV.

Just seeing what you guys/girls think. Might be time for me to finally get a fullsize truck.
As long as you have some type of AAL, helper spring, or extended bump stop to prevent too much sag, I wouldn't worry too much about getting it moving. My concern would be stopping it while coming down a mountain. Does the boat trailer have brakes?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
Dangerdave is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Dangerdave's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do it.. I pulled a 12ft trailer loaded down from eastern NC to the my house in the mountains of NC and the gorge you have to go through really took some shifting to keep it moving.. I don't know about the roads over in the west... I assume they are much worse..

Im not saying it cant do it.. If you do it may mean being in the tractor trailer lane and just cruising a slow speeds.. But braking down mountains and pulling up mountains is going to really put the truck through its paces I can guarantee it
Old 09-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Hull Technician 2nd Class
Name: Big Jim
Turd Herding Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdave View Post
I wouldn't do it.. I pulled a 12ft trailer loaded down from eastern NC to the my house in the mountains of NC and the gorge you have to go through really took some shifting to keep it moving.. I don't know about the roads over in the west... I assume they are much worse..

Im not saying it cant do it.. If you do it may mean being in the tractor trailer lane and just cruising a slow speeds.. But braking down mountains and pulling up mountains is going to really put the truck through its paces I can guarantee it
I did a whole lot of shifting and slow laning while in WV with that loaded trailer. Really sucked. The going down the mountains would definitely be the hard part. Time to upgrade I suppose. Too bad, been a very fun truck. Better look into that new F-150!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
TRVLR500 is on a distinguished road

Navy:
TRVLR500's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I'm sure you could do it but there are some serious mountains in western Montana once you get past Butte which if you're going to WA on I-90 you'll be going through. Then there is Snoqualamie in WA just before Seattle. You'd be going real slow. Even in an F-150 you won't break any records speed wise.