Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

letting your truck warm up

Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
darrinhutch is on a distinguished road
Name: darrin
darrinhutch's Tacoma Gallery
letting your truck warm up

does anyone let there truck warm up before they drive it? i always have but i just wanna see what yall do
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
You don't frighten us, English pig dogs!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
With the Toyota I'll generally wait until the idle drops below 1,000 RPM's, unless I'm in a particular hurry. During the winter it takes a little longer than during the summer.

With the Dodge I have to let it warm up or it drives like crap because it's carb'd.

With the bikes I let them get completely up to temperature before I go. The Ninja because it's got a 13,000 RPM redline, and the Suzuki because the mechanic at the dealership said that he sees a lot of camshaft scoring on my model from people who take off before the oil pump has had a chance to coat the whole top end. He recommended I let it idle for 2-5 minutes before I ride, so I just start it up, check the components, and then put my gear on, which usually takes a few minutes.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
darrinhutch is on a distinguished road
Name: darrin
darrinhutch's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the replay. i let my 83 warm up like you becasue its carbd. i wait till the choke cuts off and then i go
Old 09-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
LittleWhiteTruck is on a distinguished road

LittleWhiteTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I also wait for closed loop sign on my ultra gauge but you can also hear when it happens on the I4.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i let it warm up until i hear that noise and the rpm's drop a little bit. then i go.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
ProPhaze777 is a jewel in the roughProPhaze777 is a jewel in the roughProPhaze777 is a jewel in the rough

ProPhaze777's Tacoma Gallery
Always let past cars warm up, at least til the idle drops unless I'm in a big ol hurry. Do it now even with my '14
Old 09-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I just get in and go, gently at first. I feel the heater gets warm quicker when you're applying a little gas and it wastes less fuel.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
TacoShark is a name known to allTacoShark is a name known to allTacoShark is a name known to allTacoShark is a name known to allTacoShark is a name known to allTacoShark is a name known to all

Air Force: SOF maintainer
Name: Kenn
TacoShark's Tacoma Gallery
My mom taught me a while back to always let the car warm up, (98' Cherokee, 03' Dodge Hemi) wait for the RPM's to drop, then go. My mom's pretty wise.

I've also been told in colder climates if you don't let the engine warm up, the sudden change in heat could crack the head. I'm not sure if it's true but I ain't taking the chance.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinhutch View Post
does anyone let there truck warm up before they drive it? i always have but i just wanna see what yall do
No point. The oil takes a good half an hour to reach operating temperature. I let it idle 30 sec or so to let the oil circulate, then drive away as normal.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Start truck, put seat belt on, go. Unless I am feeling extra lazy and it is super cold, then I will start it and go back inside to wait.

No point on warming them all the way up.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
tonyt915 is a jewel in the roughtonyt915 is a jewel in the roughtonyt915 is a jewel in the roughtonyt915 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Anthony
tonyt915's Tacoma Gallery
my routine I usually hit the remote start while I'm grabbing my keys/wallet/etc and by the time I lock up the house and get inside its already been running a couple minutes and cooled off. I do it more so that I don't want to get in a hot/humid truck
Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have some striaght facts on this? Like proof this can crack your heads?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #13
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
No proof because it cant happen. Its not like you have an ice cold block that is suddenly hit with the full force of the sun.

Manufacturers say to let it idle until the idle drops and then youre good to go. Drive reasonably until its up to temp. Just because an engine has a 13k redline doesnt mean you should be hitting the rev limiter on every shift. Your engine should be running oil in 1 direction and not letting it backflow when its off so oil is coating everything within a second or two of the engine running.

Idling to full warm up at best wastes a bunch of gas. During the winter if im parked outside ill let it warm up enough to melt some ice, its more for my comfort than anything else. Same with cooling on a hot summer day.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #15
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinhutch View Post
thanks for the replay. i let my 83 warm up like you becasue its carbd. i wait till the choke cuts off and then i go
I did the same as you when I had an 1988 which was the last year they came with a carb, and also waited till the idle dropped down.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
If I can see out the windshield, I go.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
It's always a good idea to at least let the truck start up and get into closed loop operation. Yes, the oil will quickly get into the bearings and coat everything pretty quickly, but starting a truck and throwing it in gear right after DOES increase wear on the engine components, and reduces fuel economy. I'm not saying you have to let it run for 5 minutes, but like a lot of people here, you should start the truck and wait for the idle drop, which is usually an indicator that you are in closed loop.

Look at it this way, how would you like it if someone came into your room while you were sleeping, then woke you up and started chasing you down the street without giving you time to get your wits about you? lol.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
What actually triggers closed loop operation? I was under the impression it happens when the front cats have reached operating temp?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #19
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Closed loop operation is when the two Oxygen sensors have warmed up to operating temp. Depending on ambient temperatures this could be anywhere from 30 seconds, to 5 minutes. There are other factors which have to be met, like no codes stored for specific sensors and such, but the primary requirement is O2 sensor temperature.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #20
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
1-3 minutes depending on how cold it is. In the summers here I start it, go back inside and wait about 5-10 min for the AC to cool the cab down.

In the winter, its 2-3. But I live in Az so its really not winter at all.