1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG Mods

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by kylefrdavis, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Cobalt719

Cobalt719 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 Banger PreRunner DC
    LED Interior Lights, Tailgate Anit-Theft Mod, OEM Skid Plate, Aftermarket Fogs, Tow Hitch
    I had a K&N in my civic back in the day. For whatever reason it did not like the K&N and kept killing my O2 sensors.

2. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    DirtyTaco24

DirtyTaco24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD DCLB Black
    Good ol' fashioned driving habits and tire pressure go a long way.. probably save you more money in the long run instead of buying aftermarket parts.

3. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I could not agree with you more.

Despite the recent post to the contrary, I have heard from several members of this forum that they gained 1-2mpg by switching all their lubricants to synthetic: gear oil, motor oil, chassis grease, everything.

Also, I feel compelled to warn about increased tire pressures. While *slightly* increasing tire pressures above the manufacturer's recommended pressures can reduce rolling resistance and return a few more mpgs, *excessive* tire pressures are not likely to yield further benefit and, more importantly, can cause dangerously low traction especially in adverse driving conditions (rain, snow, etc), circumstances which can quickly lead to spinouts or other loss of vehicle control. These pickups are notoriously light weight over the rear axle to begin with. Just trying to look out for my fellows.

4. May 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    rdm197aps

rdm197aps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4x4
    ARB bulbar WARN M8000, OME/Dakar, enough recovery gear to yank a GEO Tracker outta ditch!
    i agree with DGXR. too much air is a bad thing. i dont know much about the synthetic theory.

i was getting 18 in my V6 Tacoma 4x4... keep my speed between 60 and 65... now im getting 20-21mpg... 2 inch daystar "leveling" lift, and 265-70-17 BFG AT KOs.

just slow down, drive like an egg is under the accelerator, and leave 5 min earlier... whatta u care if people are passing you? they're just giving more money to the oil companies... it might not be much, but it all adds up... if it didnt, they would lower the price of gas and diesel. funny how the price of a barrel of oil goes down but the price of fuel goes up or remains the same.

Prediction: gas prices go down in late september / early to mid october...

Oh, sorry about the rant on gas prices... i know this is the wrong thread for that.

5. May 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    rdm197aps

rdm197aps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4x4
    ARB bulbar WARN M8000, OME/Dakar, enough recovery gear to yank a GEO Tracker outta ditch!
    oh yeah, i also keep reading post by people yapping about having to drive 120,000+ miles to break even on an $80 air filter... or a pants load of miles to pay for the synthetic fluids... how many miles do you put on your vehicles before you get rid of them? i put 265,000 on my last one... that air filter was WAY paid for... along with the straight pipe exhaust... i think that's really all i did to it other than changing the stereo and getting new floor mats every now and then... i forgot to mention all the times i threw a bucket of water on it just to have it dirty again in a few weeks... by economic standards i guess washing your car is a loss too... it'll just get dirty again right?

i plan on giving my Tacoma to my son when he turns 16... only got 15 more years till i get a new truck! maybe then toyota will produce a small diesel engine that meets the EPA blah blah and i can keep it for 30 years... and believe me, the new K&N filter i put in that thing will pay for it self too.

in the meantime i'll get the service kit for my K&N filter... oh wait i have one left over from that Dodge i put 260,000 miles on, i guess that's pretty much paid for its self as well. the longer i keep my truck and perform proper maintenance the more i'll get out of the $31,000 i spent on it... $31,000... that's alot of money to spend on anything with 4 wheels and not keep it till it just wont work anymore... drive it till a junk yard turns you away, that's how u get your moneys worth.

6. May 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM
    KavaCruiser

KavaCruiser Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma AC 4x4 4cyl
    Snugtop cap, afe pro dry, 235/85/16 bfg rugged terrains, weathertechs, ultra gauge,
    Agree with you on this one...I just got the ultra gauge on a group buy and it proves it.

7. May 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM
    Datsik

Datsik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma 4x4
    Not much.
    I'm not sure if everything I'm going to say was mentioned already but... I found that throwing a tonneau cover, aFe Pro Dry S air filter, Synthetic everything and removing the spare tire helped me quite a bit. I average about 24mpg, however, I drive like a grandpa and hit cruise control once my speedometer hits 65mph. Honestly I don't recommend removing the spare tire for obvious reasons, but if you have unlimited road side assistance like I do then it might be something you could take into consideration.

8. May 26, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Have had the Taco just over 4 years now. The first year or so I was getting 23-24 MPG most of the time. Then I joined the Fuelly website, and just by thinking about better mileage it started to improve. Lower revs before shifting and driving 3 or 4 MPH slower on the urban interstates brought it up a MPG or so. WhenI got the ULtragauge and watched it read 100+MPG when coasting, I got the bug to get even better mileage. Several new techniques and 1.5 years later I'm up to the 26-27 MPG range consistantly.

9. May 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    HerTacoma

HerTacoma New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    HerTacoma
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Is the AFE pro-dry air filter better than the k&n filter?

10. May 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    I alread have an old posting below that answers most of your questions not answered here. Anything that makes your vehicle have less drag will def give you better mileage. "I have NOT purchased one but truly believe a TONNRAU COVER is the best way to improve mileage because there is such a huge drag from the wind." (I'm always throwing oversized items in there (so neglected to buy 1 yet) but may purchase one because my mileage is horrible with my quick starts/crusing speeds at 2500 RPM.)

I always use cruise control but never get better than 16 MPG. Currently averaging 14-15 MPG. I believe you need to keep your rpm at 2k about 65 mph to have any effect on mileage after owning my vehicle for 7 plus years (V6 Cew Cab LB). All synthetics- Absolutely NO change in mileage in my experience but better for your vehicle (less wear), less maintenance, longevity of truck; definitely worth it but don't expect a change in mileage; just peace of mind.:)

I could buy 9 quality $10 air filters with my NAPA discount for the price of 1 Pro Dry AFE. Not worth my agrevation w/aftermarket; they all need maintenance. If you buy one when you first purchase the vehicle brand new you may get your money back if you keep the truck for a 100K miles; not a bad idea.

If you plan on driving like there is an egg under the the gas pedal (someone quoted) you should have purchased a 4 cylinder in the first place. A V6 is for someone that wants a powerful fun to drive truck for its class and can get up & go, getting out into busy traffic and towing. See other notes below if you like under my foum name. Good luck.

Note: I would never drive without a spare tire.

11. May 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Neither will help mpg.

12. May 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    so You say AFE over K&N intake?

13. May 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I say OEM toyota over either, I want my engine as clean as can be, and the aftermarkets all let in more dirt, with no mpg gain.

14. May 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    Corndawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    but the TRD intake is also like 600 bucks. ha for 600 bucks i could just buy a whole exhaust system

15. May 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The exhaust system won't help you mpg either.

16. May 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Corndawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    oh well it will sound cool im going with a super 40 muffler swap and AFE intake and if i drive like an egg is in my engine pan in high hopes it will improve i might get better
    my tire size does not help either but im not going down

17. May 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    Corndawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    how does it take away it says online it can increase horse power and fuel economy

18. May 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    The key word is CAN

19. May 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Dyno results say otherwise.

20. May 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    Corndawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    well Fack ha how about magnaflow ? never ran one of those before

Products Discussed in

To Top