1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG Mods

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by kylefrdavis, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Nov 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Don't forget about BG products like 44k, intake cleaner, and MOA. cleaning out your engine and fuel system helps with performance and efficiency.

2. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    cowboy50

cowboy50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dexter,MO
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra 4x4
    Was wondering I always heard don't run syn after petroleum. If you buy a truck used and then switch to syn. will that hurt anything? This 01 I bought a year ago with 175K on it, I rolled 200K two weeks ago. On cold mornings I have a little knock in the lower end for about a minute or so then it quits. The only thing is it doesn't do it everytime:confused: I would like to check it out but it is my daily driver and by that I mean I have no back up to get to work. I change the oil every 3500 and have been adding Lucas to my oil since the noise has started. Thought about trying syn. fluids but was afraid to do it with that many miles on it. If the noise was consistent I would think maybe mains? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    My suggestion is to do your research until you are satisfied. To your point, mixed thoughts on the subject. But here are mine, FWIW.

• Many manufacturers have synthetic blends for highmile vehicles; some are better than others, so read up
    • High mileage vehicles are likely to have more wear; synthetics can squeeze between clearance gaps with greater ease
    • Synthetics are great for cold starts and cold temperatures
    • Any oil with a detergent additive is likely all you need to clean the internals; mystery oils and additives are generally not worth the price paid and can lead to bigger problems
    • Do your research on any additive; some folks will swear by a product but objective evidence is normally lacking/non existent - be wary of manufacturer's claims of miracle results
    • That said, not all mystery oils are worthless just that most are
    I didn't notice what part of the country you are from, but cold weather might make the biggest case for me on a higher mile vehicle. Improve fuel economy would be second in this case. The reason I say this is that my brother put synthetics into his higher mile vehicle and it smoked terribly. Went back to regular oil, no more smoke. Since he lives in the South, the advantage of synthetics for cold morning starts was reduced to about a month window, so he abandoned the notion of quick starts. FE wasn't a concern of his.

So, here's a first pass at getting you some information. Do an Advanced Search here on the topic - your fellow Tacoma enthusiasts have probably discussed your question a few dozen times. Good luck!!

4. Dec 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    lucky73

lucky73 Limited

Member:
    anyone have a link to the Myth Busters video on tonneau covers? don't spoil it!

5. Dec 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Don't have a link but topper vs. tonneau depends a lot on the length and size/shape of each make and model of truck. Full size cab with a short bed is less likely for he airstream to drop off the cab and reconnect/flow off the tonneau vs a really long bed etc. Lots of variables. Too many to test one truck in particular and say that the results will be true of all trucks.

6. Dec 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    reeder62281

reeder62281 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Yulee Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma
    anyone know of a good programmer to help with fuel economy that works well?

7. Dec 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    No such animal. If there was, Toyota would be using it to help meet CAFE requirements across their entire fleet.

8. Dec 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    frrodriguez08

frrodriguez08 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FR
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2006, 4 cyl, 4x4, Access Cab SR5
    Truck still 1400 miles away
    My first Tank in this 2006, 4 cyl. 4x4, stand, access cab, Only city driving, came to 21.64 MPG. Needed A/C several days too, San Antonio TX is been under a heat wave!

9. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Cruise Control helps with MPG, but a constant-throttle CC should
    work even better. All OEM CC's units are constant-speed, so the
    throttle is continuously moving up and down to maintain speed,
    not ideal for best MPG.

I just installed a semi-homemade constant-throttle CC on my
    99 Tacoma, but haven't been able to test it out on the highway yet.
    I used a CC servo from a 99 Camry (no Tacomas in the local wrecking yard),
    and it seems to grab the throttle very well, when I flip the switch.
    Don't need the CC computer or ECM or speed sensors. Very simple system.

I'm hoping for a 3 mpg improvement on long drives on our local freeways.

10. Dec 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    piglett

piglett Member

Member:
    wolfeboro,nh
    Vehicle:
    01 exstended cab TRD
    i'm not really big on those
    i would worry about going through a little water & getting it into the engine. water DOESN'T compress & you can damage the engine
    just not worth it to me.

i'm planning on adding a K&N
    & upgrading all fluids

good luck
    piglett

11. Dec 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    Icewatersteam

Icewatersteam Comptroller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4cyl 4x4
    I'm thinking on changing from 'Kook 265/70/16 ATMs to 'Kook 245/75/16 Highway Terrains. They won't look as good, but I suspect they'll feel better, and help with mileage. I gotta worry about ice more than I gotta worry about going offroad.

12. Dec 24, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    lucky73

lucky73 Limited

Member:
    keep us posted, 3mpg HWY sounds good to me!

i bought a CC stalk from Toy Connection for my 03 RC 4x4 manual, got the scan gauge too, but still need to instal CC. dealer said $800 so I passed.

13. Dec 29, 2012 at 5:58 AM
    grandpapacker

grandpapacker Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Chesapeake,Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Club Cab extended bed 4X4 V6
    Added weston running bds.,added chrome Bull Bar,added In-Channel Ventvisors Added outdoor temperature reading device using sensor mounted in grill,installed Tri-Fold Tonneau cover on truck bed
    I purchased my Tacoma SR5 4X4 Club Cab with the extended bed new in Sept 2011.About two months ago I changed my air filter to a K&W High-Flow Air Filter and it definitely improved my gas mileage approximately 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon.I feel that it is still in the testing stage and I'll give updates if there are any changes.

14. Dec 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    You may experience slightly better mpg, but at what cost?. Higher flow is because of LESS FILTRATION. More crap is getting past that filter and into your motor and oil. Your oil will require changing more often. Your MAF sensor ( $$$ ) will get gunked up from the oil infused into the filter. Don't know about the long-term effects on valves and rings.

15. Dec 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    For computer controlled closed loop operation it is pretty well understood that an air cleaner has no effect on mpg. Any estimate of 1-1.5 mpg improvement is just wishful thinking.

Even grossly clogged intakes do not reduce mpg, and the opposite is true, even zero restriction to the intake doesn't increase mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

16. Jan 7, 2013 at 4:29 AM
    ducer

ducer Member

Member:
    Ca
    Vehicle:
    White Pre-runner
    I saw this list, thanks. One abbreviation I always see is PM, or PMd. I asked about something for sale the other day and got a lousy response "saying" it was pm'd OK,
    Thanks

17. Jan 8, 2013 at 4:37 AM
    cowboy50

Member:
    Dexter,MO
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra 4x4
    It means private message. In case you want to say something or tell somebody something and don't want everyone to see his/or her comment then you pm them. look up in the upper rt corner of your page where you log in. It has a private message spot click on it when it shows something unread. That my friend is your private message.

18. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    cowboy50

Member:
    Dexter,MO
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra 4x4
    FYI this is my 3rd tank after installing my AFE dry filter. 2to3 more mpg's than usual. It has been colder than normal and that is letting it sit and defrost the windows every morning. Sooooooo i"m happy, happy, happy with my purchase.

19. Jan 9, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    ducer

ducer Member

Member:
    Ca
    Vehicle:
    White Pre-runner
    Thank you for all the info,

Much appreciated

20. Jan 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    lindastaco

lindastaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linda
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Have a '12 Tacoma 4x4 V6 4.0... Here is my question/situation. From a full tank of gas to a 1/4 tank, i can almost always get 100 mpg. From a 1/4 tank to a 1/2 tank my tripodometer shows that I traveled 37 miles (total 137 since I filled up) miles. What the heck. I use my truck to travel to the park and ride which is 3 miles away and I realize that it's cold out there (I live in NJ) but 37 miles... I am thinking that someone is sucking the gas out of my truck during the day LOL or there's a hole somewhere in the tank. I do realize that the mileage is aweful but i typically average 15 mpg. Any ideas or could the gauge be broken LOL?

Products Discussed in

To Top