Notices

MPG Mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #741
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post

K&N's are even worse as they let more dirt through if not oiled to perfection. Also too much oil on them fouls your MAF sensor, screwing up your MAF sensor, and hurting mileage.
the oil for a K&N has red dye added to it so you can tell just by looking if you missed any spots. i have been running them for years with zero problems
yes if some clown dumps a whole bottle of oil on a K&N filter ,that could cause problems to the sensors on a modern vehicle. HOWEVER they come with directions.

i will now read direct from the K&N air filter oil recharge can

"K&N gauze air filter oil:
fomulated especially for K&N gauze air filters
red uniform color of oil indicates a properly oiled filter.
when applied, the oil will soak evenly into the cotton pleats thus creating a SUPERIOR tack barrier for dirt- yet allowing maximum air flow"

what more needs to be said?

get er done
piglett
wolfeboro,nh
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #742
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglett View Post
the oil for a K&N has red dye added to it so you can tell just by looking if you missed any spots. i have been running them for years with zero problems
yes if some clown dumps a whole bottle of oil on a K&N filter ,that could cause problems to the sensors on a modern vehicle. HOWEVER they come with directions.

i will now read direct from the K&N air filter oil recharge can

"K&N gauze air filter oil:
fomulated especially for K&N gauze air filters
red uniform color of oil indicates a properly oiled filter.
when applied, the oil will soak evenly into the cotton pleats thus creating a SUPERIOR tack barrier for dirt- yet allowing maximum air flow"

what more needs to be said?

get er done
piglett
wolfeboro,nh
Piglett, my point is that on a modern computer controlled vehicle a K&N- AFE - or any other filter does not increase performance or MPG's on their own. The computer is only going to let so much air into the combustion chamber. You can run a OEM filter till it looks like crap and there will be no difference in performance, until a insufficient quantity of air gets through the filter. The seals around the edges will harden and crack, letting air in long before the media is so clogged that enough air does not get through. We (myself included) are just victims of slick marketing, (companies wanting to sell you something) and our fantasies of a couple of horsepower or MPG's. And yes there are a lot of clowns in the world(not specifically you).

Back in the days of carbs, performance air filters made a small difference in the amount of air that entered the combustion chamber. But they also leaned out the fuel to air ratio, and if the fuel mixture was not richened, the engine could suffer damage from running too lean, over long periods of time. Ask any motorcylcle mechanic who worked on 70's and 80's Japanese motorcylcles, and the owner put a high flow air filter and low restriction exhaust on their bikes and didn't adjust the mixture richer(mixture screws had EPA caps/seals on them), soon (5 or 6K miles) had burned exhaust valves from running so lean. Ask me how I know.

Here is a favorite quote of mine regarding folks who like to modify their vehicles from manufacturers OEM parts or recommendations.

A modifier is an individual who enjoys playing Russian Roulette with their vehicles, because they cannot stand being told what to do or use, by the manufacturer who warranties vehicles for up to 100,000 miles.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #743
frrodriguez08 is on a distinguished road
Name: FR
frrodriguez08's Tacoma Gallery
There is a very good article for shells on Tacomas at the 4WD Toyota Owner magazine of nov/ Dec 2012, page 18. They go into details of weight, functionality, etc. I'm sure you will find it very informative. www.4WDTOYOTAOWNER.COM
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #744
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
i am very happy with the milage of my 01 v6 truck
the timing belt was just replaced 8k ago so i'm sure that helps
i'm getting 20mpg some in the city some on the highway.
the trick i use is to keep the rpm's low
2000 rpm is as high as i rev it when shifting
it's a 5 speed so i can shift whenever i wish
i might not do as well if it was an auto.

i have a scrap metal route on the side so a camper shell would not work for me
i need to be able to put the heavy stuff rite up behind the cab

my last toyota was a 95' reg cab
after adding some coils in between the top of the rear & the frame
i was able to haul up to 2700 lbs in the bed
i did it for 6 years till the old girl started really showing it's age.

piglett
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #745
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
20 mpgs for a V6 in NH this time of year is very good.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #746
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
20 mpgs for a V6 in NH this time of year is very good.
i don't drive like i'm on a mission for God himself
60mph is about rite, keep the rpm's low

piglett
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #747
'Plays with Toys'
euro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
euro911s's Tacoma Gallery
I recently noticed a slight wobble in the steering wheel at highway speeds. I re-balanced the front wheels so that should help (it's been at least 5k miles since last time). I'll probably re-balance the rears soon, 'cause every little bit helps.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #748
OneLife
garys05tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road
garys05tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Slight wobble in steering wheel; resolution.

I also have/had a slight wobble in steering wheel (05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport LB). I had all four tires rebalanced at 3 different Town Fair Tire dealers. Still had a slight wobble. This time I had them rotate the tires and noticed they balanced them all again. Very nice of them! 3rd time in four months. Just happened to be 3 different tire dealers, only for my convenience in location. It has been less than 24 hours, but I don't feel the wobble yet. It is very slight at times.

Suggestion: If you continue to get the wobble as I did after multiple balancing of all four wheels, try moving your rear wheels & tires to the front so you can identify where your true problem is. I wanted to know if there was a problem in the front end or if it was just a tire or rim issue.

Note: The four wheel alignment did not help anything either. I think it was a waste of money. Toyota's don't usually go out of alignment in my experience. I get the tire dealer to include the alignment only when buying 4 new tires.

UPDATE 12/01/13: After a year plus of wobble in my steering wheel (annoying) & I WAS TOLD by Town Fair Tire on several occasions the problem was not in the tire. My mechanic friends and I all thought it was the tire all along. I just replaced all 4 tires with the same off road tire (used same rims). As I suspected all along it was definitely the tires that were causing the shake the entire time. I had mileage warranty on the previous tire but tire dealership refused to admit the problem was in the tire. If you tried all the basic remedies you may need new tires. There was nothing visually wrong with the tires. Note: Tire dealer said that if there was a problem with the tire or rim they would see it during the balancing process. They were WRONG! The Tacoma has no shake and is very, very smooth with 4 new tires. I should have kept the old tires and told them to prorate them when I proved them wrong. Keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro911s View Post
I recently noticed a slight wobble in the steering wheel at highway speeds. I re-balanced the front wheels so that should help (it's been at least 5k miles since last time). I'll probably re-balance the rears soon, 'cause every little bit helps.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #749
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garys05tacoma4x4 View Post
Note: Toyota's don't usually go out of alignment in my experience.
i just had to have my 94' corolla aligned but it's never been done & it has 262k on it so i guess it might have been time.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #750
Charles Scott has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Scott has a spectacular aura about
Charles Scott's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment doesn't deal with wheel wobble or balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys05tacoma4x4 View Post
I also have/had a slight wobble in steering wheel (05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport LB). I had all four tires balanced twice at two different Town Fair Tire dealers. Still had a slight wobble. This time I had them rotate the tires and noticed they balanced them all again. Very nice ofthem! 3rd time in four months. Just happened to be 3 different tire dealers, only for my convenience in location. It has been less than 24 hours, but I don't feel the wobble yet. It is very slight at times.

Suggestion: If you continue to get the wobble as I did after multiple balancing of all four wheels, try moving your rear wheels & tires to the front so youcan identify where your true problem is. I wanted to know if there was a problem in the front end or if it was just a tire or rim issue.

I had more tread on the rear tires & I was waiting for the winter to end before rotating the tires. Now was a good time for me (so I could get even where on all tires). If this doesn't resolve the wobble I'll know there is something wrong other than the rims or tires. I have an extended platinum warranty, so the problem will be left to the dealer if problem arises again.You may want to move front tires to rear rims and vice versa depending on your rotating schedule. Hope this helps.
Note: The four wheel alignment did not help anything either. I think it was a waste of money. Toyota's don't usually go out of alignment in my experience.
I was a mechanic in another life and I did wheel alignments and I can tell you that aligning the tires will not fix a wheel balance problem nor will it fix any wobble you may be experiencing. All an alignment can do is adjust toe-in, caster and camber, and these days most cars allow only a toe-in adjustment. Caster and camber are fixed at the factory and are not adjustable.

Tacoma's however, do allow the full range of alignment adjustments, should it be necessary.

How do you know you need an alignment? If you are rapidly wearing off the inside or outside of the tires, you need to have the toe-in checked. If the truck is steadily pulling strongly to one side or the other, the caster and camber need checking.

If you are experiencing cupped wear on the tires, you need new shocks. If you are experiencing wobble in the steering wheel, either the front tires need balancing or a rim is bent. Any competent tire store can tell you whether the rim is bent or not, they'll notice it immediately when they spin it up. We used to be able to gronk rims with a big sledge to fix minor wobble in passenger car rims, but truck rims are too stout to manage that. There may be tire shops with the ability to straighten rims but I don't know of any. Besides, if it's bent so badly that it's causing the wheel to shake, and putting it on the back makes the chassis shake, it's time for a new rim.

Charles Scott
Old 03-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #751
Aguirre1234 is on a distinguished road
Aguirre1234's Tacoma Gallery
I have problem with the touch screen

Hi I have a Tacoma 2013, I touch the touch screen radio but the radio doesn't respond. If somebody know the answer please help me
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #752
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre1234 View Post
Hi I have a Tacoma 2013, I touch the touch screen radio but the radio doesn't respond. If somebody know the answer please help me
Does this impact your fuel economy? haha

Welcome to TacomaWorld. You're best bet for finding answers to your question will be to first search on the search bar up in the top right hand corner and if no results come up that answer your question you could perhaps start a new thread in the Audio and Video section.

Also, have you checked your owners manual?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #753
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N CAI and have on most of my vehicles and never had a problem with MAF sensor or any problems with codes popping up. But one thing I am wondering is where is this charcole filter and why would you take it out ? HP gains or MPG gains ? can someone give me the link on how to take it out please
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #754
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGosen View Post
I have a K&N CAI and have on most of my vehicles and never had a problem with MAF sensor or any problems with codes popping up. But one thing I am wondering is where is this charcole filter and why would you take it out ? HP gains or MPG gains ? can someone give me the link on how to take it out please
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html
here ya go
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #755
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGer View Post
There are plenty of threads on this but they all boil down to the same thing:

Put in a high flow drop in airfilter (AFE is recommended)
Keep tires aired up
Use synthetic fluids
Get a scangauge to assess your driving habbits
And drive like there is an egg under the accelerator
Remove the secondary (Charcoal) air filter (4 cyl owners tend to see more benefit than 6 cyls)
I use AFE also
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #756
jfun is on a distinguished road
Name: JACK
jfun's Tacoma Gallery
The best tires for the reg cab 2x4 1996?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #757
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

if you are looking for tires that deliver Max MPG, go to the Tire Rack site, put in your size, then filter the results looking for LRR tires. Low Rolling Resistance tires are becoming quite popular, and many are available. The Tire Rack site will show you what are available, then you can decide where to get them.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #758
Joshman35 will become famous soon enough
Name: Josh
Joshman35's Tacoma Gallery
Improved my MGP's by over 2 mpg. I have a 2009 4.0L double cab, desert bumper, 3" lift, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on 33x12.5x17's, Dual Flowmaster catbacks, KnN CAI. I recently purchased a prefilter for the KnN filter and my mileage went fron 15.5-16.5 to consistently over 18.5 mpg. Its about a $15 part on amazon, well worth the price. Driving style hasn't changed, just the prefilter.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshman35 View Post
Improved my MGP's by over 2 mpg. I have a 2009 4.0L double cab, desert bumper, 3" lift, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on 33x12.5x17's, Dual Flowmaster catbacks, KnN CAI. I recently purchased a prefilter for the KnN filter and my mileage went fron 15.5-16.5 to consistently over 18.5 mpg. Its about a $15 part on amazon, well worth the price. Driving style hasn't changed, just the prefilter.
Also keep in mind that winter blend gas is just now ending. That could account for part of your increase in mileage. Usually winter blend is 10% less efficient.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #760
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshman35 View Post
No, not really, intake doesn't effect mpg. You are saying an additional filter beyond your K&N is adding 2 mpg? Any increase is due to something else, like gas as already mentioned, or weather, or speed.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Products Discussed in this Thread