Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

MPG Mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #761
Joshman35 will become famous soon enough
Name: Josh
Joshman35's Tacoma Gallery
Intake does affect gas mileage, improves or decreases. But does affect it. Also I put the precharger on February 1, so weather hasn't changed, nor have my driving habits. The change in mpg was noticed immediately
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #762
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
09 4 cyl, auto, access cab, removed secondary, tonneau
Routinely got 32 mpg mixed hwy/ city
Long trip 34-36 mpg, best ever 40, couple 38s

Imperial gallons btw.

13 6 cyl, auto, access cab, tonneau, 4x4. Stock everything
Mixed hwy/ city 28 mpg

Planning to remove secondary, recently removed last bend in tailpipe, plan electric fan, likely AFE or similar
2013s draw air from the fender, so looks like at some point the factory saw the benefit of cai
Upping tire pressures to 36, and keep tabs on mileage to see if I get any results
Be a couple weeks before I have feedback.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #763
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshman35 View Post
Intake does affect gas mileage, improves or decreases. But does affect it. Also I put the precharger on February 1, so weather hasn't changed, nor have my driving habits. The change in mpg was noticed immediately
How.? Testing says no.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #764
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshman35 View Post
x2. I would also like to hear the answer to this.

Might I also add. . .

The AFE pro dry S drop in filter is OVERHYPED. It DOES NOT DO ANYTHING better than the stock Denso.

If anything I feel I have lost engine compression since putting in the AFE. I will be switching back to stock ASAP.

I mean come on, just compare a stock Denso filter next the the AFE Pro - No Comparison. The stock is obviously a much thicker and well designed filter.

Key word here Boys & Girls? FILTER! It's a FILTER! It's job is to FILTER! Not let in more air and FILTER less so it will make more noise and make you think you just gained 5 HP.

Quite actually the only reason I gave this filter a try is because everyone talks about how great it is on these forums - IT's NOT. It's OK, no where near as good as stock.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #765
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfun View Post
The best tires for the reg cab 2x4 1996?
I also have a 1996 4 cyl, std cab, 2wd, with a 5 speed stick.
And I run Hankook Optimos. They only needed very small weights to balance, they roll really smooth, and I get 25mpg around town and 28 on the highway.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #766
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I recently did two mpg mods on my 2012 2.7 5 lug. I installed a LCE header for more low end torque...

...and I removed the power steering and AC, so now a simple small non serpentine belt only drives the alternator and water pump.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #767
TCBSU is on a distinguished road
TCBSU's Tacoma Gallery
As far as load boosters. My wife and I moved from East Coast ot CA and carried a decent amount in the bed in addition to towing a trailer. Our Tacoma did fine with no mods. We even took some side trips on gravel/dirt roads pulling the trailer with her Corola on it (also loaded up beofre being onlaoded). The only problem the whole way was a broken cargo strap on the trailer. So I would not waste money on anything to help carry more load. BTW I have also done a few local moves with just lots of stuff in the bed and not had a single issue. Good luck with the move.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #768
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I recently did two mpg mods on my 2012 2.7 5 lug. I installed a LCE header for more low end torque...

...and I removed the power steering and AC, so now a simple small non serpentine belt only drives the alternator and water pump.

Man, you aren't kidding around. I like getting good FE but I dislike sweating all over myself more so I had AC installed.

Good call on LCE btw. I'm definitely enjoying their model header for my Pickup as well
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #769
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBSU View Post
As far as load boosters. My wife and I moved from East Coast ot CA and carried a decent amount in the bed in addition to towing a trailer. Our Tacoma did fine with no mods. We even took some side trips on gravel/dirt roads pulling the trailer with her Corola on it (also loaded up beofre being onlaoded). The only problem the whole way was a broken cargo strap on the trailer. So I would not waste money on anything to help carry more load. BTW I have also done a few local moves with just lots of stuff in the bed and not had a single issue. Good luck with the move.
i added a set of helper springs to my 95' toyota pickup
however it was common for me to haul 55 gallon drums filled with break rotors down to the scrap yard (1 hour away)
i crossed the scales more than once with 2700lbs in the bed
the stock springs were just not up to the job
so i installed a set of coils rite between the under side of the frame & the top of the rearend. i may end up doing the same on my 2001 TRD
but so far it has been alrite.

good luck
piglett
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #770
Fish Killer is on a distinguished road
Name: kai
Fish Killer's Tacoma Gallery
Get 2 air filters! the extra pays off, when you are cleaning one of them.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #771
halemauka is on a distinguished road
Army: MI
halemauka's Tacoma Gallery
Want better gas mileage? Get a Harley!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #772
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by halemauka View Post
what a joke
everyone i know that rides a bike has atleast 1 dead friend
so i think i'll pass!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #773
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Man, you aren't kidding around. I like getting good FE but I dislike sweating all over myself more so I had AC installed.
I enjoy driving a simple fuel efficient vehicle.

We don't have air conditioning in our home either, and have found that without external compensations your body naturally adapts to changing seasonal temperatures by widening its comfort zone. AC narrows your comfort zone until just a few degrees out of it and you're miserable.

Quote:
Good call on LCE btw. I'm definitely enjoying their model header for my Pickup as well
I always run LCE headers on my Tacomas. Had one on my 1996 for over a decade.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #774
Joshman35 will become famous soon enough
Name: Josh
Joshman35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by halemauka View Post
Want something reliable? Beg the persons you sold your Toyota too, to sell it back because you bought a crap Harley that breaks down every morning, burns or drips way too much oil, and tops out at 80mph
Old 06-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #775
amberger is on a distinguished road
amberger's Tacoma Gallery
My new 4 cyl access cab 4x2 should be delivered late this week (Yay!). I was planning on getting an aftermarket bug guard. Has anyone seen any difference in mileage due to the wind resistance changes caused by a bug guard?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #776
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberger View Post
My new 4 cyl access cab 4x2 should be delivered late this week (Yay!). I was planning on getting an aftermarket bug guard. Has anyone seen any difference in mileage due to the wind resistance changes caused by a bug guard?
Can't imagine it helping. I haven't found the need for a bug guard, you don't need one.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #777
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I used to average 19.5 - 20.5 on my tanks of gas with 32's.

Now running 33's and fenders. I run 55mph on the highway and hyper-mile around town.

Averaged 22.9 two tanks ago and 23.1 this tank. A record in my 70,000 miles of owning the truck.

Mpg is the direct result of driving habits. No filter or chip is going to improve it.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #778
Lil blue rocket is on a distinguished road

Lil blue rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
I used to average 19.5 - 20.5 on my tanks of gas with 32's.

Now running 33's and fenders. I run 55mph on the highway and hyper-mile around town.

Averaged 22.9 two tanks ago and 23.1 this tank. A record in my 70,000 miles of owning the truck.

Mpg is the direct result of driving habits. No filter or chip is going to improve it.
What size engine do you have and what transmission cause I'm turning 33's on my 08 with the 4.0 and I'm only getting 16 driving like a grandma !
Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #779
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Can't imagine it helping. I haven't found the need for a bug guard, you don't need one.
You wouldn't believe how many bugs the windshield picks up with the top two slats of the upper grill blocked off. It boggles the imagination!

I don't see a bug guard helping mileage at all either. Adding turbulence usually doesn't do good things to airflow.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #780
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil blue rocket View Post
What size engine do you have and what transmission cause I'm turning 33's on my 08 with the 4.0 and I'm only getting 16 driving like a grandma !
2.7 and 5 speed manual.

It's not about driving like a grandma. Get yourself up to overdrive/high gear in a timely manner and then lightly tap coast tap coast down the road. Don't exceed 55mph on the highway. There are many opportunities approaching red lights or down hills where you can simply coast rather than use the accelerator. Every 1/2 mile of coasting adds up very quickly! An Ultragauge is an amazing tool in showing how your vehicle reacts.

Products Discussed in this Thread