Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

MPG Mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #781
YotakingO is on a distinguished road
YotakingO's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 88 Toyotat pickup ( 2.4L) and my MPG is 11mpg. WHiCH is CRAZY! I am trying to up that.. any ideas?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #782
cowboy50 is on a distinguished road
cowboy50's Tacoma Gallery
How long has it been since a tune-up. Fuel filter, plugs, wires, injector cleaner. Maybe try that seafoam trick alot have been talking about. Need to do it before an oil change, since you will need to change it right after. I've had an 87' and an 88' both extra-cabs never could get any better than 19. One was a stick the other was an auto(hated it).Bet it just need's a little luv.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #783
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=BuzzardsGottaEat;6857803]Man, you aren't kidding around. I like getting good FE but I dislike sweating all over myself more so I had AC installed.{quote]

With no AC I just become acclimated to the hot weather instead, and it gets plenty hot here. I just learn to live with it.

Quote:
Good call on LCE btw. I'm definitely enjoying their model header for my Pickup as well
The LCE design is absolutely beautiful and the engine pulls good at very low rpms which is exactly what I wanted.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #784
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, just happened to get this email from LCE today.

lcengineering.com

They're having a 10% off sale on everything that's in stock!
Coupon code: USA

That would make a 2TR FE 2.7 header only $405 plus shipping.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #785
janinesfishtales is on a distinguished road

Name: Janine
janinesfishtales's Tacoma Gallery

Hi. I'm new to this site. My name is Janine. I initially found this forum because I am looking to buy a lite travel trailer for my 2013 Tacoma. I have a 2013, 4x4, Pre-Runner, Double Cab with a Leer camper shell. The color is Pyrite Mica. I love it! This is the 2nd Tacoma I have owned. I recently sold my 2002 to my uncle and it is still running strong. I will always have a Tacoma! I am looking forward to talking to some of you, especially about travel trailers suitable for my rig.

Janine
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #786
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the forum Janine,

Lots of good info here on any subject. Mods R Us

Need a pic of the Tacoma, it sounds nice!!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #787
wiknern is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: nils
wiknern's Tacoma Gallery
07 tacoma efi servicing

My Toyota dealership (Street Toyota, Amarillo, Tx.) Recommended
an EFI service ($150). What does that exactly entail, and why is it
that costly? Also, any other way I can maximize fuel economy other
than keeping my truck properly maintained, tire pressure up, etc?
I have a K&N filter in my 07 Tacoma which helps some.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #788
ThrSitRep is on a distinguished road
Marines: Shore Party
ThrSitRep's Tacoma Gallery
I get 31 mpg on my 2012 2.7 base
I use M1 0w20 to which I add Molybdenum.
I have a Frantz bypass filter and I change the sh!tpaper in it at 2500 and change my oil at 5K. I also use a Napa gold oil filter (it's twice the size of stock Toyo filter) which is relocated to the firewall passenger side for clean no mess filter change.
My totally oil capacity is 7 qts.

I burn virgin (non-ethanol) 89 octane Top Tier fuel to which I add 3 oz / fill Techron and 1 0z TCw3 oil/ 5 gallon gasoline.

My goal is to get 35mpg.

If you leave your filter in and just pull the cover off to the side you just need to drill the rivet off one corner then you can just get a hold of the corner of the filter and rip it off. blow away any debris. boom ur done.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #789
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotakingO View Post
I have a 88 Toyotat pickup ( 2.4L) and my MPG is 11mpg. WHiCH is CRAZY! I am trying to up that.. any ideas?
Clean your MAF
clean throttle body
check your TPS
Check thermostat
Use lighter wt oil 0w20 and moly.
start adding TCw3 oil to your fuel at 1 oz:5 gall ratio
If you can't find non-ethanol gas then only use Chevron, Texaco or shell.
Use lower octane fuel 87
Use some Techron (whole bottle on half tank)
Service your tranny replace all fluid with syn ws-T-IV
get stock high mileage tires and max inflate
Is a check engine light on? (O2 sensor)

Get rid of any bullshit like racks, brush guard and any excess weight.
If it is lifted, un-lift it.

Drive smart.
I get 31 mpg and I'm going for 35.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #790
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrSitRep View Post
I get 31 mpg on my 2012 2.7 base
I use M1 0w20 to which I add Molybdenum.
I have a Frantz bypass filter and I change the sh!tpaper in it at 2500 and change my oil at 5K. I also use a Napa gold oil filter (it's twice the size of stock Toyo filter) which is relocated to the firewall passenger side for clean no mess filter change.
My totally oil capacity is 7 qts.

I burn virgin (non-ethanol) 89 octane Top Tier fuel to which I add 3 oz / fill Techron and 1 0z TCw3 oil/ 5 gallon gasoline.

My goal is to get 35mpg.

If you leave your filter in and just pull the cover off to the side you just need to drill the rivet off one corner then you can just get a hold of the corner of the filter and rip it off. blow away any debris. boom ur done.
Join the fun on this thread.

35mpg is possible, I've had tanks as high as 37.7. I'm jelly you can get E0, E-10 is all I can get and it sucks.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...challenge.html
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #791
Oops!
I'm an idiot, I just saw that it is an 88. some of my post does not apply.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #793
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiknern View Post
My Toyota dealership (Street Toyota, Amarillo, Tx.) Recommended
an EFI service ($150). What does that exactly entail, and why is it
that costly? Also, any other way I can maximize fuel economy other
than keeping my truck properly maintained, tire pressure up, etc?
I have a K&N filter in my 07 Tacoma which helps some.
It is one of most profitable services for them. They are trying to soak your wallet. That is why they are sometimes referred to as %$&(#$%^&. Go read the 4 banger fuel sipping challenge thread in the 4 cyl section. Lots of good advice int that thread.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #794
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotakingO View Post
sounds like the timing may have jumped
Old 07-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #795
josepenajr has a spectacular aura aboutjosepenajr has a spectacular aura about
josepenajr's Tacoma Gallery
any advice for a 2013?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #796
bbatka is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: investigator
Name: brad
bbatka's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is my first post, and I'm an unknown entity here, but bear with me please. This is not a sales pitch either, I swear. I have a '96 Tacoma 4x4 v6. Agreeing that a 4x4 will never get comparable MPG to a 2WD, I've noticed most people mention synthetics, but not changing ALL the lube fluids with synthetics. I want to say, if you go synthetic, go all the way and put synthetics in your differentials, transfer cases, and trans. Each component adds a little bit, but in total, the effects add up. 4x4s will see the greatest gains from synthetics due to the additional front differential and transfer case (friction/resistance). I bet you will gain 5-10% if you own a 4x4.

Use whatever synthetic brand you want, but synthetics do perform better than conventional oils by reducing friction and resistance. Almost everybody has tried just about everything under the sun, but I'm impressed with my gains. I began by going to full synthetic oil in the engine. Mobil1 was my first choice because it was readily available. I did gain a little bit, probably about a half MPG.

Then I researched gear lube.... I settled on Amsoil (because of the 100,000 mile lifespan) in both differentials and transfer case. Fluids were due to be changed anyway- so had to try it..... and DANG if I didn't go from 20 MPG (stock) to 22MPG (oil & gear lube) on the highway (keeping it under 70). I'm sold on this stuff. The first change of Mobil1 and filter was good for 7,000 miles. SWEET! But then I thought about it and realized I wanted more. So I switched to the signature Amsoil and I can't complain about anything. The cost is more, but so far the oil hasn't really even started to get dark with 12,000 miles. Choose the Mobil1, RedLine, or Royal Purple filter, as long as its top-of-the line for synthetics. I haven't noticed any thickening yet either.

The oil is not 3 times more expensive than conventional oil, so I'm actually saving money and saving oil. Now that's "efficiency" too, ya know.
Consider: The cheapest conventional oil is 3.99/qt, so that's $20 for oil plus $8 mid-range filter= $28 every 3,500 if you're lucky. Compared to approx $50 for top-of-the-line synthetic, and $12 for a filter= $62. I'm already at 12k, so 3 times 28= $84. I'm already $12 ahead, allowing me to buy more gas.... Thereby in essence increasing my fuel range and overall efficiency even more. Think of MPG as an overall cost per mile driven.

That's my take on efficiency. Stew on that a while.

Just my perspective.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #797
'Plays with Toys'
euro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shedeuro911s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
euro911s's Tacoma Gallery
My first Toyota was an '89 2.4L EFI 5-speed 4x4 Ex Cab. I ran a 100# Sprint 'Competition' shell and had 31x10.50R15 Goodyears on it. It only got 13~15 mpg city, but high 20's on the highway.

My '96 Tacoma is equipped the exact same way, but it has the 3.4L V6. It too only gets 13~15 city, but only 19 on the highway.

My 2002 Tundra has the 4.7L V8/auto and a Snug Top bed lid ... it only gets 10~12 city and 16~17 hwy
I recently went with a little narrower tire, Goodyear Fuel Max M+S 245/75-16, and saw a mild mpg increase.

The main reason 4x4s get worse mpg than 2WDs is that the differential gearing is lower. I've been looking into changing the gearing on the Tundra's diffs. I'd like to get the hwy mpg up to 20.

Guess I'll check on synthetic fluids too.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #798
shunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shedshunut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shunut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrSitRep View Post
...TCw3 oil/ 5 gallon gasoline....
What does this do to increase your MPG?

AFE air filter VS AFE air filter and secondary air filter removed VS Full CAI

Is one better than the other for higher MPG?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #799

My best MPG over a period of similar driving conditions, was with the OEM air filter with the secondary filter removed.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #800
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
My latest fillup was 28.0mpg with a mix of stop and go city traffic and freeway. This is with intake and exhaust mods.

Warm weather always helps.

Products Discussed in this Thread