Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

MPG Mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #841
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the best tires for the 5 lugs in regards to mpg?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #842
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Depends what you're driving on but I sure like Michelin LTX M/S2s.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #843
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
I hear those recommended a lot, but the smallest size is 235/75/15. Will they make up for the extra size/weight?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #844
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What size are your tires? 255/75?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #845
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of the small trucks, 215/70/15
Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #846

Yeah I just looked up the stock size. It had slipped my mind.

Honestly, from what I've read of people going up to a 235 they have lost 1-2 mpg, however most if not all had gone to a more aggressive tire than this one so I don't know. The lower overall effective gear ratio may help you on the highway (it did for me) but I would guess you would still lose one or so around town if others reports are accurate. Only way to easily counter it is lightweight wheels like SCS F-5s for the 5 lug and the MS2s are pretty lightweight as well.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #847

But overall finding something similar in your stock size will be your best net for mpg. It's not easy to go up in size and GAIN mpg, but myself and others have done it. I get above EPA consistently in the Summer and about right on in the Winter in this stop and go and hilly city so it's possible.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #848
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck you have.

just bought some Michelin Defender tires, low rolling resistance 215 70 15 for $105 each. with mounting, balancing, tax it came out to $536 for four tires. But I get a $70 rebate from Michelin and also $30 for filling out the Discount tire Visa Card and putting the tires on the card.

Best deal I could find for a low rolling resistance tire. estimated to last 90k miles.

hope that helps
Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #849
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #850
americanrancher is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
americanrancher's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal air filter removal

Hey Guys, Took out the filter last night and I can tell a real difference in power and engine response to putting my foot in it! Don't know about MPG's yet but I am happy with the change. BTW I run a K & N as well, gota breath!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #851
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Whats the best tires for the 5 lugs in regards to mpg?
I went with lightweight Enkei 16x7 5 lug wheels and high mileage low rolling resistance 235/60 Yokohama YK 580's (the 580 is the treadwear number which is high), and am enjoying 23-24 mpg city and 28-29 mpg highway. This combination retains the factory stock wheel diameter for an accurate speedometer and odometer, while being wider for better handling...

The truck rides quiet and smooth and handles great in the corners.

Greg
Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #852
RdRunr is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
RdRunr's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice! Did you weigh the old and new to see how much weight you saved?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #853
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRunr View Post
Very nice! Did you weigh the old and new to see how much weight you saved?
I went from 16x7 stock steel Tundra wheels with 245/75/16 tires...

...to 16x7 alloys with 235/60/16 tires.

That removed 15 pounds 4 ounces per wheel, for a total of 61 pounds of rotating weight. One pound of rotating weight is the equivalent of 10 pounds of static weight.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #854
Todos Larry is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
Todos Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 v6 and my MPG is terrible. Truck runs great but 250-275 range per tank.
I'm planning to add a K&N 63 cold air next week but compared to my 98 v6 i'm not happy at all
Old 12-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #855
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todos Larry View Post
I have a 2013 v6 and my MPG is terrible. Truck runs great but 250-275 range per tank.
I'm planning to add a K&N 63 cold air next week but compared to my 98 v6 i'm not happy at all
what gears does it have in the rear?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #856
RdRunr is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
RdRunr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I went from 16x7 stock steel Tundra wheels with 245/75/16 tires...

...to 16x7 alloys with 235/60/16 tires.

That removed 15 pounds 4 ounces per wheel, for a total of 61 pounds of rotating weight. One pound of rotating weight is the equivalent of 10 pounds of static weight.
That's pretty good! I will probably do something similar, but may stay with stock size wheels/tires.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #857
I have a 2013 V-6 auto, MPG is not what i had expected or as listed.

I was thinking about adding a K&N cold air intake system to increase air and performance. I'm wondering if maybe just removing all of the factory filters and swapping out the K&N filters alone will help?
The stock system is a large intake compared to my old 98 model
Old 12-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #858
stock from factory
Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #859
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRunr View Post
That's pretty good! I will probably do something similar, but may stay with stock size wheels/tires.

That'll work fine as long as you retain the overall stock wheel diameter so that your final gear ratio remains the same and your speedometer and odometer stay accurate.

I used a wheel and tire specification chart and found that I could go with a combination of a slightly larger and wider 16 inch rim and a 60 aspect ratio tire, while still retaining the factory diameter.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #860
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todos Larry View Post
I have a 2013 V-6 auto, MPG is not what i had expected or as listed.

I was thinking about adding a K&N cold air intake system to increase air and performance. I'm wondering if maybe just removing all of the factory filters and swapping out the K&N filters alone will help?
The stock system is a large intake compared to my old 98 model

Similar to your situation, I went from a 1996 model to a 2012... and found the newer truck to be larger and about 400 pounds heavier. It also had more accessories than I wanted, which I removed just as I did on my old truck. The overall mileage average on the 2012 is only one mpg less than the 96.

Products Discussed in this Thread