Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

MPG Mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #881
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
I have a warm intake too. It was 12 deg. outside and the IAT sensor was reading 24 deg. with the cold front on.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #882
flynaz is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Fighters, Retired Vet
flynaz's Tacoma Gallery
No AFE filters for 2014's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGer View Post
AFE is the brand, go to autoanything, enter you vehicle info and it will bring up the correct filter for you

Autoanything.com says they don't have the AFE filters for 2014's. Can I use 2013 or is my filter tray the wrong size?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #883
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHANC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I think so... but then I'm the only one on this forum who runs a warm air intake.

I did a deck plate mod to the side of my air box, so I have warm air in the winter and then cool air in the summer when I put the plug in.

Once I am up to temp, my intake air is about 30 deg higher than ambient.

It warms up faster too.

It has helped my winter mileage not drop as drastically, but I still take the winter gas hit.
Oh I'd like to see this!

(and copy it lol)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #884
solarfry is on a distinguished road
solarfry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are plenty of threads on this but they all boil down to the same thing:

Put in a high flow drop in airfilter (AFE is recommended)
Keep tires aired up
Use synthetic fluids
Get a scangauge to assess your driving habbits
And drive like there is an egg under the accelerator
Remove the secondary (Charcoal) air filter (4 cyl owners tend to see more benefit than 6 cyls)
I'd like to add: Ride to reach the next light green. Continuing in motion through traffic lights raises my mileage by one mpg. Turning engine off at lights I Know take a long time to change has added another mpg.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #885
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=SVHANC;8260850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I think so... but then I'm the only one on this forum who runs a warm air intake.

I did a deck plate mod to the side of my air box, so I have warm air in the winter and then cool air in the summer when I put the plug in.

Once I am up to temp, my intake air is about 30 deg higher than ambient.

It warms up faster too.

It has helped my winter mileage not drop as drastically, but I still take the winter gas hit.

That is exactly what I want to do.

You think you could throw a few pictures up for me? I'm curious where you drilled the hole in the airbox.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #886
FNG
Stribb is on a distinguished road
Army: Crew Chief UH-60
Stribb's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I'm new. What is this fuelly deal?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #887
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribb View Post
Sorry I'm new. What is this fuelly deal?
Click on my Fuelly emblem, that should give you a pretty good idea of what it is about.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #888
Give Me Taco, Or Give Me Death
JohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnNP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JohnNP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfry View Post
I'd like to add: Ride to reach the next light green. Continuing in motion through traffic lights raises my mileage by one mpg. Turning engine off at lights I Know take a long time to change has added another mpg.
Quote:

Put in a high flow drop in airfilter (AFE is recommended)
Keep tires aired up
Use synthetic fluids
Get a scangauge to assess your driving habbits
And drive like there is an egg under the accelerator
Remove the secondary (Charcoal) air filter (4 cyl owners tend to see more benefit than 6 cyls)

Everything up above (with some exceptions cause I haven't done them yet) have worked wonders for me. As you can see from my Fuelly, my first fill up following the dealer giving me my first tank of gas was ABYSMAL at 13.6mpg!!!! I had only gone 200 miles and had 1/4 of a tank left!!! WTF!!!!

So instead of getting a scanguage or an ultraguage I got a WiFi OBD computer reader from amazon and an iPhone app called OBD Fusion there is another one around here some folks use called DashCommand I tried it and the interface is prettier than the OBD Fusion app. So after using this app my mileage has gotten MUCH MUCH better. I could see all the mistakes I was making of which there were many. Still haven't done the drop in air filter or switch to fully synthetic fluids in every chamber that I can put a fluid in (there's not even 300 miles yet on the truck yet) and I'm sure there's a component of it being so new still that's also contributing. Haven't tried the turning off at the lights. But it sucks seeing that total MPG drop as you sit there at a light...grrrr Here's an image of my mileage now after following the above advice!!! You guys rock!!! This is over 90 miles of mixed city/highway driving. Obviously I'm on the interstate with this picture. HORRAY!!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #889
SOCO Taco is on a distinguished road

Army: Master EOD Tech, SFC, Ret, DAV
Name: BSR
SOCO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have an '14, 4X4, Dbl Cab, sport. Added a Truxport tonneau cover and the mileage is now at 2800. Topped off yesterday and decided to do a loop around the Spanish Peaks from Pueblo. The round trip was 335 and the refill was at 15.1 gals. Had a good head wind to Walsenburg and the 10,000 ft feet climb over Chuchara Pass into T-dad and back north to Pueblo. The loop mpg was 22 and that was going the speed limit and not babying the Taco over the pass.
Realistically, how much better could the mileage get with any the gas saving mods? I have read a lot of the threads and it just doesnt seem like anyone has found the golden gas saving mods/combo other than not driving it like you stole it. Anyone found the magic for a 6cyl 4X?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 AM   #890
Todos Larry is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
Todos Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 with 22,000 miles. I had relized how bad the milage was I would have bought either the Tudra ( much higher tow rate or back to a Ford) both have larger cabs.
My last Taco was a 98 v-6 and milage was 19 plus dring anyway i felt like.
Oh well
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #892
cowboy50 is on a distinguished road
cowboy50's Tacoma Gallery
Does it not bother you guys that you have to go to such extremes to achieve decent MPG's. I mean really; you drive like you got egg shells under you gas pedal, shutting it off at lights. You have got to be kidding if it is that bad and you have to work that hard while your driving it can't be enjoyable. I like my yota loved my taco, now I have a Tundra. Went from 19 and 20 to 15 and if I'm lucky 18. Thing is if I had to drive my Tundra like you guys are and spend X amount of dollars so I can try to get fabulous MPG's, I would say F--- that and find me something else. Of course this is just my opinion and that my be how you get your kicks (great) just drive the damn thing who gives a crap if you are getting 12 or 25 mpg's you bought it to drive. Drive it. Obamy will have them all getting 20 and 25 mpg's in a year or two so we can afford the 5 dollar a gallon gas, the oil barons can brag more about their 300% profit they made. Lifes too short drive like you stole it and cry at the pump
Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #893
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy50 View Post
Does it not bother you guys that you have to go to such extremes to achieve decent MPG's...
Nope... because I just drive my truck normally. Even at 80 mph on the freeway my last fill up was 25.6 mpg on cheap regular Winter blend gas.

There are two kinds of people:

1. Those who use things

2. Those who use things up

I use things without using them up. My last Tacoma lasted 17 years and was still in excellent mechanical condition when it was immediately bought for $4,000 by the first person who came to take a look at it. Whoever takes proper care of their possessions will be well served by them, and will always have more than they need to live a good life.

Greg
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #894
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy50 View Post
Does it not bother you guys that you have to go to such extremes to achieve decent MPG's. I mean really; you drive like you got egg shells under you gas pedal, shutting it off at lights. You have got to be kidding if it is that bad and you have to work that hard while your driving it can't be enjoyable. I like my yota loved my taco, now I have a Tundra. Went from 19 and 20 to 15 and if I'm lucky 18. Thing is if I had to drive my Tundra like you guys are and spend X amount of dollars so I can try to get fabulous MPG's, I would say F--- that and find me something else. Of course this is just my opinion and that my be how you get your kicks (great) just drive the damn thing who gives a crap if you are getting 12 or 25 mpg's you bought it to drive. Drive it. Obamy will have them all getting 20 and 25 mpg's in a year or two so we can afford the 5 dollar a gallon gas, the oil barons can brag more about their 300% profit they made. Lifes too short drive like you stole it and cry at the pump
I see this thread isn't for you, why post this crap?

Kinda like me going to a thread on debadging and saying it's a stupid waste of time, and then going off on obamy and oil barons?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #895
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I see this thread isn't for you, why post this crap?
I think it adds to the discussion when people freely express different views.

Greg
Old 04-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #896
Thanks Greg. I thought we still lived in a freedom of speech country. As far as taking care of my stuff. I had an 01 reg cab taco till Feb. of this year 230k on it all original except tires and wheels made 4500 on it to ( the first individual that looked at it) so yes I do take care of my stuff and I do like good MPG's but I'm not gonna crepe around like a senior on Sunday to try and gain an extra MPG. The only point I was trying to make is most people would not go to the extremes that some people do to save a buck on gas. I mean really; shutting it off at a light, when the starter goes from excessive use will what you saved on gas buy that starter. This is a forum open for discussion, but please carry on OH Great and Mighty MPG Guru and one more thing before I go. The reason I brought up the oil baron's is if it wasn't for them jacking up the price of oil then gas would be cheaper and you wouldn't be trying so hard to squeeze that extra MPG out of you Taco. Am I right huh, huh, come on. I love this country.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #897
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Cowboy,

Some day you may want that 1 MPG that you wasted. IMO those who waste fuel or prevent fuel from being transported, discovered, refined or whatever, these people should be the first people who should be denied fuel when there is a shortage, or when its all gone.

How's that for my freedom of speech.

And your just a threadcrapper.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #898
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
with a light foot. in my 2007. 4.0L V6 285/70/17. running 91 octane trd Catback exhaust. 246 miles on the tank before i filled up. did the math got 18mpg on that tank best mileage I've seen out of the truck
Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #899
solarfry is on a distinguished road
solarfry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
with a light foot. in my 2007. 4.0L V6 285/70/17. running 91 octane trd Catback exhaust. 246 miles on the tank before i filled up. did the math got 18mpg on that tank best mileage I've seen out of the truck
My big honking V6 cruises along at 21 mpg hwy (65) and 19 city (55) by just remembering the lights that take a looong time and turning it off. But the most savings is from remembering the lights and cruising to them so I get there at the time it changes and not while it's cherry red. Sometimes even a bit slower gets me there right behind the red light lovers as they take off. I refuse to buy any more stuff to add to it to increase mileage. I'd rather put the dough into bigger better wheels, etc. I won't even measure my mileage on those long dirt gravel n rock trips.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #900
Easy there 91r100gs just exercising my right to say what I want when I want. No need for name calling. Man some of you guys are really sensitive about your MPG's. Oh I think you got a little on your nose while you were slinging s--t. Thanks for allowing me to have the shield.It was just an opinion and they are like assholes: all might look alike but smell different. Threadcrapper that's a good one. Mind if I use that one from time to time?
SAVE THOSE MPG'S for tomorrow we may not have any to save. This was fun, you can return to your regular scheduled fight for more MPG's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
Hey Cowboy,

Some day you may want that 1 MPG that you wasted. IMO those who waste fuel or prevent fuel from being transported, discovered, refined or whatever, these people should be the first people who should be denied fuel when there is a shortage, or when its all gone.

How's that for my freedom of speech.

And your just a threadcrapper.

Products Discussed in this Thread