Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Taking apart my 5spd, thought you'll all like to see

Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Taking apart my 5spd, thought you'll all like to see

This has been a heck of a project. I hurt everywhere! So far I'm 3 days in, and this is as far as I've gotten . In my defense, I spent a good deal of time cleaning up that Toyota frame spray, and I only broke one bolt (it was on the support ear bolted to the exhaust manifold from the bell housing).

Separating the bell housing from the engine was by FAR the worst part of removal. There were 3 hours between having it unbolted and actually having it separated, filled with shaking, tapping, prying, etc. The thing that finally busted it loose was a 1" solid steel bar 6 feet long (used to be a weight lifting bar); dad snuck it in next to the battery all the way down to where the starter mates up, and gave it a few whacks with the hammer. That dowel was a stubborn little snot.

Anyways here's some pics

The 5spd has the same kind of 2 piece shifter the 6 speed has, with rubber separating the upper and lower shafts

These two bell housing bolts were a bugger. Best way is through the shifter hole with 20" worth of 1/2" drive extensions on the 17mm socket.

Like so

The whole mess on the floor, you can see the dowel of death right there under the starter hole. Get one of those tranny jacks if you're gonna do this, it makes SUCH a difference

Found my clutch squeak. No grease on the fork pivot...

...or on the quill! Wow how did it never stick

Transfer case off. You can see how the input shaft from the transfer case goes through the transmission rear seal. It's clean in there because there's an air gap between the transmission and the transfer case.

Another shot. Back on the jack because those bell housing bolts were TIGHT, and I had no more hands lol

In the vice. I put bolts through the plate at the bottom so the vice doesn't mar up the sealing surface. Looks a lot like a Jeep tranny at this point

Flipped around

I think I know why she whines so much in 5th. The input and countershaft bearings both have a small amount of looseness to them, and the 5th gear bearing also, but look at the small 5th gear pressed onto the output shaft. Pitted, worn, probably overheated when towing something. Frick. At least all the other gears including the constant run gears have no significant wear I can see.

More pics when I get farther I suppose
Old 10-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah gearcruncher that's fine. No worries about comments, it'll be at least another couple days before I can access the internet again to upload more.

edit: great, that gear costs $120 by itself... I guess I'll have to weigh how much money I want to put into this repair
Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great write up, thanks for the pictures! looking forward to seeing more!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I'm waiting to decide until I get it pressed off and cleaned up for closer inspection. It's fifth gear on the output shaft.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Very well done.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
This will be interesting posting pics from a cell phone LOL

Pulling 5th with 8mmx1.25 bolts

Shifting fork ends.

I think all that shifter vibration got it a little hot

This countershaft bearing is a touch sloppy. Tip: ignore the FSM and the special tool. It comes out easily enough with the shaft.

Inside 5th gear

Where they hide the magnet

Shift rails out

Shift rail parts in order

Woot they're out

Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Some of these bearings are beefy as heck. Really makes ya wonder how a four cylinder could hurt this tranny. Here's the old input shaft bearing I just pressed off

Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
You are doing this without any special tools? How big is your press? I always wondered what it would take to rebuild these transmissions. Good post
Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
berk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the photos.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #11
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ x2. Thanks for taking the time to make this thread, its very educational.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #12

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4 View Post
You are doing this without any special tools? How big is your press? I always wondered what it would take to rebuild these transmissions. Good post
Pretty much. Just using a 12 ton bottle jack press I got for $130, with a few other odds and ends to make it work.

Did the countershaft front bearing tonight. This one is pretty easy, as the new one comes with a new spacer washer to go behind it, and you can use the old washer to press it on.

Apparently they redesigned the bearing at some point, although the model number stamped on the race is the same. New bearing has a cage, on the left.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #13

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda powered through some work today. Gotta get it done.

All the new bearings are in

The old stuff. Didn't change the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear bearings as they were still tight. Two piece 5th bearing was horribly loose, as well as the countershaft bearing behind it. Part of the 5th gear bearing came out as gray putty. The roller bearing between the input and output shafts had too much play too.

Ready to go back in tomorrow. Finally!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Op, sorry I have not followed or even seen reference of what led you needing to tear this thing down. Seems like the 5 speeds have been very durable. Suppose you could post the thread or quick summary of what happened?

Oh, great job on the tear down and pics.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #15

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
She had gear whine in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear; no noise in 4th; fifth had a very loud whine from 1800-2500rpm accompanied by violent shaking of the shifter when under load. I haven't used fifth gear in a while and I look forward to using it again.

I wish I had a pic of the inside case before I cleaned it. Looked like oil got coked and stuck to the case, and judging by where it cut off, the level had to be over two inches low at that time. It had to happen years ago before I bought the truck as it's never been low for me. I still think the first owner towed in 5th gear way too much.

I decided to save that little gear. It better light it didn't appear to be in that bad a shape. I'm thinking the flash really brought out all the fine surface details.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #16

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Got her back on the road tonight. The fifth gear shake is a lot better but not gone. It's not excessive thrust clearance because that measured just less than 0.006". I'd say the sliding hub and the splines it rides on must have some wear.

Still whines in 1235, although a lot quieter in 5. The damage to the constant run gears is permanent I guess.

It shifts like a dream though, the shafts aren't playing the warble tango anymore, and I have new seals all around. At least I don't have to worry about it blowing up anymore.

Plus with the new 30t gear the speedometer is only a couple mph off now.... gonna have to get used to that before I get myself a ticket.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #17
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm. Wished I known about your woes much sooner. I have a brand new in the crate 5 speed I'm trying to figure out what to do with.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #18

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Well drat LOL oh well, too late now. I do not want to go through that process again for a while. My whole body hurts!

I still have the center console out so I can hear everything. Maybe I'll take a video today just to share
Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
DESTROYERRACER is on a distinguished road
DESTROYERRACER's Tacoma Gallery
for the future pick up a 1/2 inch to 3/8th's drive 3 foot extension and buy yourself swivel head 17mm socket....you get the nut of the 1/2 inch gun and with the extension length and swivel head you can get all the bell bolts out from under the truck in a minute
Old 10-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #20

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know.

Video of her whining today... LOL that sounds so wrong

http://youtu.be/-aviEXXCYEU