Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Really soft clutch after clutch replacement.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
chrismccoyboy is on a distinguished road
chrismccoyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Really soft clutch after clutch replacement.

I just had my clutch replaced because I was having trouble shifting gears. It was really difficult to get it to any gear. With the new clutch it is really smooth shifting now but the clutch is really soft. It takes no effort at all to press the clutch all the way to the floor. My concern is the clutch is disengaging to close to the floor and is going to wear my new clutch out. I was wondering if you could adjust the clutch to disengage further away from the floor and to be a little stiffer? Long post I know but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: Canadain bumber technician
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
The new clutch is going to feel softer becuase it,s taking less effort for the hydraulics to move the pressure plate in comparison to the old clutch . Was the old clutch a high performance clutch or just old ?
As the clutch disc wears down , pedal travel decreases because the pressure plate fingers move closer to the release bearing
This is a common complaint with a new clutch. Chances are your adjustment is fine with the new clutch
Here is a manual for your truck with the clutch adjustment procedure , I beleive page 755.
http://web.archive.org/web/201011270...searchable.pdf
Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all

EMS:
Name: Tyler Addison Rush III
2stroketrush's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismccoyboy View Post
I just had my clutch replaced because I was having trouble shifting gears. It was really difficult to get it to any gear. With the new clutch it is really smooth shifting now but the clutch is really soft. It takes no effort at all to press the clutch all the way to the floor. My concern is the clutch is disengaging to close to the floor and is going to wear my new clutch out. I was wondering if you could adjust the clutch to disengage further away from the floor and to be a little stiffer? Long post I know but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
By design when a Clutch/Pressure Plate wear down it takes more pedal off the floor to engage, yet still allow the system to function. When you replace with new its going to grab with less pedal off the floor because its not worn down. I bet your just fine.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
chrismccoyboy is on a distinguished road
chrismccoyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies guys! Makes me feel a lot better!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Is the linkage in these trucks hydraulic? What you describe sounds like a typical issue with a failing slave or air in the system that needs bleeding from my sports car experience.

Either way I'd return it to the shop that did the work and express your concerns. Could well be an adjustment for free play that needs attention too.