Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Engine oil cooler

Old 12-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
iitywygms is on a distinguished road

iitywygms's Tacoma Gallery
Engine oil cooler

Hi All.

I have the base 4x4 with 2.7 auto. I am planning on towing a small trailer for camping this summer. I already have a external trans cooler installed. I am thinking about installing a oil cooler.
Not having much luck searching this out. Is a oil cooler needed? If so, what is recommended?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USArmy Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I think it's overkill. The 2.7 is a very cool running engine. The only thing you might do is switch to a little bit higher weight oil like a 5w-30 to keep the film strength good at higher temps. Just remember it is a pickup truck and designed by Toyota to be used as such.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
EdFlecko is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
EdFlecko's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.bmracing.com/products/702...ating,%20Black - B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

“Go with the B&M, I tried the Tru-cool and in the 90F+ Houston summers it wasn't cutting it. A local transmission guy showed the the B&M and it was night and day difference. Don't worry about over cooling, over this last winter we had days where it was 32-35F. The B&M's internal bypass allowed my transmission to heat up to 95-100F within 10 minutes of highway driving and it stayed there all the way into town. Also the B&M is MUCH more well built.” - http://www.yotatech.com/f2/external-...g-down-208959/

Ed
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
Honestly I think it's overkill. The 2.7 is a very cool running engine. The only thing you might do is switch to a little bit higher weight oil like a 5w-30 to keep the film strength good at higher temps. Just remember it is a pickup truck and designed by Toyota to be used as such.
I kinda think the same way. The trans cooler is enough. I will put the money toward something else.
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlecko View Post
http://www.bmracing.com/products/702...ating,%20Black - B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

“Go with the B&M, I tried the Tru-cool and in the 90F+ Houston summers it wasn't cutting it. A local transmission guy showed the the B&M and it was night and day difference. Don't worry about over cooling, over this last winter we had days where it was 32-35F. The B&M's internal bypass allowed my transmission to heat up to 95-100F within 10 minutes of highway driving and it stayed there all the way into town. Also the B&M is MUCH more well built.” - http://www.yotatech.com/f2/external-...g-down-208959/

Ed
Thanks for the link but I am talking about a oil cooler, not a transmission fluid cooler. Already installed a tranny cooler. Do appreciate the info tho.