Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 severely under powered... Anyone have this problem?

Old 12-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #1
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 severely under powered... Anyone have this problem?

I'm trying to help my dad out with his 03 tacoma 2.7. He recently had the egr line blow off so he fixed that but now the truck seems like it's only running on 2 cylinders. With your pedal to the floorboards it can barely get passed 30mph. Im going to check spark this weekend but is there anything else you guys recommend looking at? Not getting any cels either. Im puzzled.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
bobbyhill is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
bobbyhill's Tacoma Gallery
Does the truck have a rough idel or fluctuate rpms when ur ideling. If it does you can not be getting the right mixture. Air fuel wise.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
bobbyhill is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
bobbyhill's Tacoma Gallery
That can be a cause loss of power.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
High mileage? Venturing a guess here.
Did the EGR blow off the exhaust manifold? If so it could be a clogged catalytic converter. Backpressure would've caused the EGR line to blow off. It was able to evacuate exhaust with the egr line off. Now that it's fixed it can't push out exhaust gases.
Although I think a clogged cat might have thrown a code before completely clogging up.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
PatrukZ is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
PatrukZ's Tacoma Gallery
Hey.... I was also thinking that it could be a clogged Catalytic converter.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
sawed off is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
sawed off's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect the cat. It will be loud but then you can road test it.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!
TacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoGlenn's Tacoma Gallery
Would it be worthwhile to conduct an exhaust backpressure test?

http://www.aa1car.com/library/exhaust_backpressure.htm
Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Vacuum gauge will tell you all you need to know.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhill View Post
Does the truck have a rough idel or fluctuate rpms when ur ideling. If it does you can not be getting the right mixture. Air fuel wise.
It idles just fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
High mileage? Venturing a guess here.
Did the EGR blow off the exhaust manifold? If so it could be a clogged catalytic converter. Backpressure would've caused the EGR line to blow off. It was able to evacuate exhaust with the egr line off. Now that it's fixed it can't push out exhaust gases.
Although I think a clogged cat might have thrown a code before completely clogging up.
It has about 110k on it. I was also thinking a clogged cat. It did blow off the manifold. Would it hurt to disco the egr line again and run it for a bit to see if that was the cause? He said it started acting like this after he fixed the hose. It also smells like gas after you get done driving it which also makes me think its the cat. You are right though... I would think it would throw a code as well.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawed off View Post
Disconnect the cat. It will be loud but then you can road test it.
Agreed, but for clarity, disconnect at the front side, not the back.

IE create the exhaust leak before the cat.

If you can tap the cat with a hammer or such, and you hear rattling, that's another indicator of failure.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater Bill View Post
Agreed, but for clarity, disconnect at the front side, not the back.

IE create the exhaust leak before the cat.

If you can tap the cat with a hammer or such, and you hear rattling, that's another indicator of failure.
thanks. I will give this a try.