Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

To pull the TIMING COVER, Is there ANY part of my truck that does NOT need removing??

Old 01-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
theduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 4th force recon fallon nevada
theduckbutter's Tacoma Gallery
Question To pull the TIMING COVER, Is there ANY part of my truck that does NOT need removing??

Maybe this would be a better place to solicit my most burning question..

2005 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 - Manual Transmission

I am changing my Timing Chain and also addressing a timing cover leak at the moment.

I have pulled all bolts out of cover and thought I was ready to split the case.. am now realizing that I might have to pull Oil pan assemblies and Transmission, clutch plate, flywheel, and exhaust, and possibly many more according to FSM.

Was going to try and go against the FSM reccomendation (which is pull everything including the engine assembly (AKA MOTOR) ) and just pull off timing chain cover and change internals while its in the truck.

Anyone know the answer to this? I thought I was ready to split the cover until I noticed that the FSM might indeed know more than I.

I am documenting my procedure here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...2-7-vvt-i.html

Thanks in advance for any one that has an answer for me. Preferably one I want to hear?? < I was hoping that I could pull just the cover and a few bolts that bolt to the Oil Pan assembly..... :[ :| happyhappyjoyjoy
Attached Thumbnails
To pull the TIMING COVER, Is there ANY part of my truck that does NOT need removing??-bolts_out_ready_to_split_ornot.jpg   To pull the TIMING COVER, Is there ANY part of my truck that does NOT need removing??-oil_pan_assembly_at_timing_cover_realization.jpg   To pull the TIMING COVER, Is there ANY part of my truck that does NOT need removing??-2015-01-04-11.44.20.jpg   To pull the TIMING COVER, Is there ANY part of my truck that does NOT need removing??-starting_job.jpg  
Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
If you're lucky you can probably get by with leaving the rear bumper on, but there's no guarantee

Really, 1 part leads to the other and before too long you have to remove the engine to change 1 thing. If memory serves you'll be dropping the oil pan as the timing cover removal will screw up the oil pan seal so it has to be done regardless.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
am now realizing that I might have to pull Oil pan assemblies and Transmission, clutch plate, flywheel, and exhaust, and possibly many more according to FSM. really, thats a bummer. i replaced the water pump, timing belt on my prerunner and did not have to remove any of the above items. this was on a 3.4. i hope my 2.7 never needs a timing belt replacement. keep us posted if you find the answer.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
theduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduckbutter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 4th force recon fallon nevada
theduckbutter's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys.. So far I just pulled the Timing Chain Cover Which obviously has left part of oil pan exposed. I plan on using a gasket and plenty of RTV.. I expect my timing cover to show up by Wednesday , Maybe thursday I will have her sealed back up and will post to the other thread how it goes..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...2-7-vvt-i.html

Lots more stuff I willbe posting and then creating a more easily readable format instructions step by step with parts lists etc without having to scroll thru the whole thread..

Thanks for posting