Notices

Oil Change Frequency

Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
White Shadow 01 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Jeff
White Shadow 01's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Change Frequency

I have a 2001 Taco with a 2.4L and 230K miles, is every 5000 miles still a good interval to change oil or should I do it every 3000?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a lot of money to waste, 3k. If you have a little to waste, 5k. If you go by the book, probably 7500. And if you do synthetic... about 15k or once a year.

Of if you have an oil analysis done you will get a pretty good idea of what your particular engine needs. I've never had one myself but I understand its pretty cheap.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Artruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Artruck's Tacoma Gallery
Go synthetic and every 12500, its what I have done for years and all my cars. I always check the level every 3rd tank of gas when I check fluids and tires.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
Jumping from 5k to 10k+ on a vehicle that has 230k miles may be best done in steps.
Does it use any oil now? It is in the ballpark where various forms of oil usage show up.
Be really diligent about monitoring oil level.
Also if you are getting any blowby the oil will get dirty faster.

All that being said, I go 7500 between oil changes and 15000 between filter changes and feel perfectly comfortable. Mix of highway and city, so not technically severe duty but not always easy (city, towing, hauling, short trips).
Old 01-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
SWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud ofSWOreBowHunter has much to be proud of

SWOreBowHunter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artruck View Post
Go synthetic and every 12500, its what I have done for years and all my cars. I always check the level every 3rd tank of gas when I check fluids and tires.
Wow, 12.5k? I have a 2014 4 cyl and I'm doing it every 5k with synthetic just like the owners manual recommends.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Artruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Artruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOreBowHunter View Post
Wow, 12.5k? I have a 2014 4 cyl and I'm doing it every 5k with synthetic just like the owners manual recommends.
I use mobil 1, and I used to change every 5, but I streched it after i had the oil analyzed and found that, for me, 12500 was about the time to change it. Same went for my audi and for my yaris and for my 944. They old nissan I had leaked so much oil that I never changed it, just replaced old with new.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow 01 View Post
I have a 2001 Taco with a 2.4L and 230K miles, is every 5000 miles still a good interval to change oil or should I do it every 3000?
Don't over-think this. If you plan on keeping it for awhile, then play it safe and change it every 5K miles. I would use Mobil 1 high-mileage. You get the protection of a decent oil with some seal conditioners. I recommend Mobil 1 only because it's available everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #8

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHANC View Post
Jumping from 5k to 10k+ on a vehicle that has 230k miles may be best done in steps.
Does it use any oil now? It is in the ballpark where various forms of oil usage show up.
Be really diligent about monitoring oil level.
Also if you are getting any blowby the oil will get dirty faster.

All that being said, I go 7500 between oil changes and 15000 between filter changes and feel perfectly comfortable. Mix of highway and city, so not technically severe duty but not always easy (city, towing, hauling, short trips).
I haven't noticed it using any oil but I only got it a few months ago. It had 229K and some change when I bought it and had it changed at 230K.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #9

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
Don't over-think this. If you plan on keeping it for awhile, then play it safe and change it every 5K miles. I would use Mobil 1 high-mileage. You get the protection of a decent oil with some seal conditioners. I recommend Mobil 1 only because it's available everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.
That's was what I was thinking...every 5K, just wasn't sure if having such high mileage would make a difference. I hear many on here recommend the Mobil 1 but what about a filter to go with it?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's was what I was thinking...every 5K, just wasn't sure if having such high mileage would make a difference. I hear many on here recommend the Mobil 1 but what about a filter to go with it?
Use M1 high mileage 5w-30 and a Purolator PureOne filter every 5K and enjoy your truck.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Fram Ultra filter, but at 5k intervals pretty much any brand name filter will work.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOreBowHunter View Post

From toy's website.
Every 5k miles
  • Check installation of driverís
    floor mat
  • Check MA State Inspection expiration date
  • Check for open campaigns/recalls
  • Replace engine oil and filter*
  • Rotate tires and check condition (tread depth)
  • Set tire pressures to correct psi
  • Check that all exterior light bulbs are functioning
  • Inspect front and rear brake components
  • Inspect and top off fluid levels
  • Perform multi-point inspection with print-out
  • Road test of vehicle*10,000 miles for synthetic oil
Old 01-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #13
Master of all I survey.
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
From toy's website.
Every 5k miles
  • Check installation of driver’s
    floor mat
  • Check MA State Inspection expiration date
  • Check for open campaigns/recalls
  • Replace engine oil and filter*
  • Rotate tires and check condition (tread depth)
  • Set tire pressures to correct psi
  • Check that all exterior light bulbs are functioning
  • Inspect front and rear brake components
  • Inspect and top off fluid levels
  • Perform multi-point inspection with print-out
  • Road test of vehicle
  • *10,000 miles for synthetic oil
http://service.actontoyota.com/recom...enance/tacoma/

And if you have an analysis done, you'll find at 10k, you have good oil (probably)

They go conservative by a far margin, plus the more times you're in the better the odds of upsaleing you on something.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
Curmudgeonly
MeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MeefZah's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't syn 0W20 spec'd for this engine? Or, more appropriately, isn't 0W20 only available as a synthetic?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #15

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Isn't syn 0W20 spec'd for this engine? Or, more appropriately, isn't 0W20 only available as a synthetic?
Manual says 5W30...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:55 AM   #16
Curmudgeonly
MeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MeefZah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Manual says 5W30...
Mmmm, yeah, for your 2001. Some posters in here are 2nd gen. My 2012 specs 0W20 which unless I'm full on retard is only available as a synthetic anyway. I guess I wasn't looking at what year 4 cyl the posters above had.