Notices

No Toyota 0W-20, next best?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Nessmuk is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
Nessmuk's Tacoma Gallery
No Toyota 0W-20, next best?

Hard to believe, but my local dealership just told me they don't stock any
Toyota 0W-20. All they have is bulk. They claim they have to order 25 cases at a time so they don't bother.
The first oil change is coming up on my 15 and I prefer to do it myself. The next closest dealer is 50 miles away. What does everyone use if not Toyota? mobil 1?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yup.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
2004TacomaNavy is on a distinguished road

Navy: VAQ-134 Aircraft Maintenance Safety Chief
Name: Brian
2004TacomaNavy's Tacoma Gallery
I use Castrol. If you really want to stick with the Toyota brand oil you can probably find it online.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
BDL5589 has a spectacular aura aboutBDL5589 has a spectacular aura about
BDL5589's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1. $25/5 quarts at Wally World.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

Nessmuk's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at genuine Toyota oil on Amazon. They have it, but it is pricey. Guess I am heading to the dealer for the filter and Walmart for Mobil1 or Castrol.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Danny2002Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Danny
Danny2002Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Or Napa for the Filter
Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
MGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of light
MGtaco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil and toyota filter
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
off road is on a distinguished road
off road's Tacoma Gallery
I run Redline in everything, but it is pricey. If I was forced to run a 2nd choice, it would be Amsoil (also pricey). A distant 3rd choice, Mobil 1.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
MGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of lightMGtaco2.7 is a glorious beacon of light
MGtaco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 is for lawnmowers
Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Any 0W-20 is fine. No one here can really recommend one over the other with any evidence.

Change oil at recommended interval and your engine will be the last thing to go.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #12

Nessmuk's Tacoma Gallery
Going to check out the local Walmart tomorrow. They are typically out of everything though which is funny since it sits right next door to their regional distribution center.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
Curmudgeonly
MeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shedMeefZah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MeefZah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Any 0W-20 is fine. No one here can really recommend one over the other with any evidence.

Change oil at recommended interval and your engine will be the last thing to go.
+1. It's all synthetic anyway.

NAPA has a sale right now on it, $3.50 a quart.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #14
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
I get my filters at the dealer and oil from Walmart. I use Castrol and have for years with no issues. Walmart seams to have the best prices on oil. You just have keep an eye on them because they do tend not always stock there shelf's.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
rcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcsb jon's Tacoma Gallery
Royal Purple
Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #16

Nessmuk's Tacoma Gallery
Well I stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up a filter and lo and behold what is sitting on the shelf in the parts department: quart bottles of Toyota 0W-20! This after they told me the day before that they didn't stock it (except for bulk). I have to wonder what bulk oil they actually use in the Service department? Not sure I would believe whatever they tell me.
I am thinking that I just don't trust them to get much of anything right :-(
Old 02-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #17
Taco Pete626 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
Taco Pete626's Tacoma Gallery
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20. I got it at Walmart for around $25. According to a bunch of oil analysis test from other vehicles, it seems to do really well.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
Taco Pete626 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
Taco Pete626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
Well I stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up a filter and lo and behold what is sitting on the shelf in the parts department: quart bottles of Toyota 0W-20! This after they told me the day before that they didn't stock it (except for bulk). I have to wonder what bulk oil they actually use in the Service department? Not sure I would believe whatever they tell me.
I am thinking that I just don't trust them to get much of anything right :-(
I worked for a dealership for awhile. At my dealership, we used bulk valvoline SEMI-synthetic and bulk dino oil which i am assuming was valvoline as well. If you want something done right...

IMO, there is no harm in using a high quality non-oem branded oil in your vehicle as long if it meets or exceeds the requirement specified in the manual. That Toyota oil must be expensive.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Is it over my headlights yet?
Bell214b is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: rotary wing aviator
Name: Clay
Bell214b's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought a 2014 4 cylinder. Told them I planed on driVing to Argentina. mechanic at the dealer said if I can't find 0w-20, it's ok to use 5w-20 for one oils change, but switch back next oil change.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #20
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ex-cel-lent Guy
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGtaco2.7 View Post
Mobil 1 is for lawnmowers
Evidence? Oh right, you drink the Amisol coolaid and will show me there "deep", "detailed", and "unbiased" data on how they can somehow invest more money than the major oil companies in developing there oils....

Amisol isn't any better than any other synthetic in third party testing. Period.

There whole engine warranty is full of holes too. Just do a google search. Plenty of guys have been screwed. I've never seen them pay off to a non dealer on there extended oil change plans.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk but Amisols whole business model screams snake oil salesmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Pete626 View Post
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20. I got it at Walmart for around $25. According to a bunch of oil analysis test from other vehicles, it seems to do really well.
I use pennzoil platnium too. It's a true synthetic in that it's not a cracked base oil formula. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ forums seems to favor it as well. Anything synthetic will really do the trick, but I don't use Castrol since they basically sewered the market years ago with there legal interpretation of the term synthetic. All major synthetics will have there oils tested to meet almost any manufacturers specification out there, except Amisol of course .