Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

!!!WANT MORE HORSE POWER!!! but have a 4cyl

Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
littlewhiteyota is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: wildland firefighter (just a boot)
Name: Max
littlewhiteyota's Tacoma Gallery
!!!WANT MORE HORSE POWER!!! but have a 4cyl

Hey guys I have a 2014 4cyl automatic regular cab and the bottom line is I want more power but dont have much cash to spend around $300, I also dont want to loose MPG.
Here are some of my question?

1. Whats the difference between a cold air intake and a better air filter?
2. Should i do a k&N air filter? or a Volant cold air intake?
3. I looked at headers but dont know if that will do the trick.
4. Should I up grade my catalic converter?
5. Is it worth the money for more horse power?
6. Are there any cheep mod I can do?
7. Is there a cheep super charger?
8. ANY OTHERE THINGS I SHOULD LOOK INTO?
Put up pics of how you solved the weak 4cyl problem.
Thanks!!!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
there's not too much you can do to up the hp
people are gonna chime in and tell you "shoulda got a v6"
believe me, i've been down this road before and basically gave up because it would cost entirely too much to get to where I wanted to be
Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
there's not too much you can do to up the hp
people are gonna chime in and tell you "shoulda got a v6"
believe me, i've been down this road before and basically gave up because it would cost entirely too much to get to where I wanted to be
Yah a V6 would be nice lol, theres always a next truck.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ex-cel-lent Guy
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewhiteyota View Post
Hey guys I have a 2014 4cyl automatic regular cab and the bottom line is I want more power but dont have much cash to spend around $300, I also dont want to loose MPG.
Here are some of my question?

Put up pics of how you solved the weak 4cyl problem.
Thanks!!!!!
A cold air intake will get rid of your stock airbox and tubing in favor of a design focused on not restricting airflow and getting air from a cool place. The stock airbox was designed to keep noises suppressed while allowing the engine to breath cool air so it's a compromise. An aftermarket cold air intake is built just for maximum airflow. They end up producing more noise and often not much more power.

There isn't a much better filter than OEM. The washable filters need to be oiled each time they are cleaned. That oil can foul the MAF.
Volant with the PowerCore dry filter. The K & N filter will use oil to capture dirt and if over oiled can foul the MAF. A fouled MAF will need to be replaced if cleaning doesn't work.
Tooter on here had some significant gains from a specific header. Look him up. EDIT The header he uses is a "LCE long tube header". Read his build about lowering the powerband to achieve power earlier and you might find something in there you want.
??? You can't "upgrade it" since it already does the job as efficiently as it can. You can remove it, but then you won't pass any emissions testing if that matters where you live.
Always

You are better to save your pennies and go for boost from a URD kit or do headers, exhaust, and intake all at the same time rather than try to do things on the cheap.
See above. If there were a ton of cheap mods that gave good power gains EVERYONE WOULD ALREADY HAVE THEM ON THERE TRUCKS.
DON'T BUY A CHEAP S/C.

1) It'll likely be cheap because you have to build your own custom setup around it. I'm guessing you don't have the knowledge to do that by the questions you are asking. You'd also have to tune the motor for your S/C build which would require a new EMU anyways.

2) In general cheap performance parts aren't worth two shits.

URD comes with everything right out of the box. There price is about as good as it's going to get.
READ READ READ every single forum you can on here related to getting more power out of the 4 banger.

Don't believe everything but the more often you come across people talking about something the more likely you will have success getting some more of what you want out of your truck.

Just don't do something stupid like find a Bully Dog or Unichip for your truck. Odds are it'll cause damage and you won't feel any more power.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterdog View Post
A cold air intake will get rid of your stock airbox and tubing in favor of a design focused on not restricting airflow and getting air from a cool place. The stock airbox was designed to keep noises suppressed while allowing the engine to breath cool air so it's a compromise. An aftermarket cold air intake is built just for maximum airflow. They end up producing more noise and often not much more power.

There isn't a much better filter than OEM. The washable filters need to be oiled each time they are cleaned. That oil can foul the MAF.
Volant with the PowerCore dry filter. The K & N filter will use oil to capture dirt and if over oiled can foul the MAF. A fouled MAF will need to be replaced if cleaning doesn't work.
Tooter on here had some significant gains from a specific header. Look him up. EDIT The header he uses is a "LCE long tube header". Read his build about lowering the powerband to achieve power earlier and you might find something in there you want.
??? You can't "upgrade it" since it already does the job as efficiently as it can. You can remove it, but then you won't pass any emissions testing if that matters where you live.
Always

You are better to save your pennies and go for boost from a URD kit or do headers, exhaust, and intake all at the same time rather than try to do things on the cheap.
See above. If there were a ton of cheap mods that gave good power gains EVERYONE WOULD ALREADY HAVE THEM ON THERE TRUCKS.
DON'T BUY A CHEAP S/C.

1) It'll likely be cheap because you have to build your own custom setup around it. I'm guessing you don't have the knowledge to do that by the questions you are asking. You'd also have to tune the motor for your S/C build which would require a new EMU anyways.

2) In general cheap performance parts aren't worth two shits.

URD comes with everything right out of the box. There price is about as good as it's going to get.
READ READ READ every single forum you can on here related to getting more power out of the 4 banger.

Don't believe everything but the more often you come across people talking about something the more likely you will have success getting some more of what you want out of your truck.

Just don't do something stupid like find a Bully Dog or Unichip for your truck. Odds are it'll cause damage and you won't feel any more power.
thanks for the info real helpful!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

[/COLOR]
+1 for you, we need more people like you here
Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
for 300 bucks.... just put it into the gas fund and push on the gas pedal more... bout the only improvement you are going to get is a urd supercharger..... but it would probably be cheaper to sell your truck and buy a v6

http://urdusa.com/store/Forced-Induc...duct_info.html
Old 02-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
MightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Gabriel
MightyMouse-SCT's Tacoma Gallery
Header and AFE drop in air filter. Biggest hinder I think is the auto trans . Need to rev it high to get the 2tr to move
Old 02-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #9
KyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KyleNowad's Tacoma Gallery
There's not much you can do to either the 4 cylinder or the V6 to get much more power.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
firstnamemike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
firstnamemike's Tacoma Gallery
The key to having a 4 cylinder Tacoma is the realization that it gets awesome gas mileage for a truck. It comes down to the driver-with a 4 you have to know how to use the engine. I would recommend the standard over the automatic.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
boogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboogie3478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Brian
boogie3478's Tacoma Gallery
Staying along the same thought process as the title of this thread, I'd just like to say that I WANT BETTER GAS MILEAGE BUT DRIVE A TACOMA!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #12
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewhiteyota View Post
It doesn't work that way. More power takes more gas.

Nothing that costs $300 will help.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
MKW has much to be proud ofMKW has much to be proud ofMKW has much to be proud ofMKW has much to be proud ofMKW has much to be proud ofMKW has much to be proud ofMKW has much to be proud ofMKW has much to be proud of

Marines: Marksmanship Instructor
MKW's Tacoma Gallery
Best "bang for buck" mod to a 2.7 is a LCE header...period.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleNowad View Post
There's not much you can do to either the 4 cylinder or the V6 to get much more power.
That's comical.

Don't think you have ever heard of this guy named Torspd eh?
Or Gadget
Or Toon

Get the tissues ready
Old 02-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #15
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
It doesn't work that way. More power takes more gas.

Nothing that costs $300 will help.
I'm making 320 to the wheels and have the same mpg I started with.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #16
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I'm making 320 to the wheels and have the same mpg I started with.
Then you aren't making more power very often.

When you are making 320 hp you are using more gas than when you were making stock horspower, simple as that.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
Just Lurking in the Darkness
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
There is a product for much less than $300 that will give you a boost of 20 mule power !!!

Here are some coupons too.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #18
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ex-cel-lent Guy
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Then you aren't making more power very often.

When you are making 320 hp you are using more gas than when you were making stock horspower, simple as that.
Um, the S/C has a bypass on our trucks. So when you're cruising it only draws a few hp so the results on highway fuel economy are negligible. You lose gas mileage with the TRD S/C when you jam on the gas , but otherwise you get stock mileage. It takes gas and air to make power when you romp on the truck and get all 300 ponies, otherwise the engine operates at stock power. If you want to put your foot to the floor your gas mileage will suffer, but if you're like me and only use the TRD S/C for passing and the occasional blowing off of some steam you can still get +16 mpg on the V6. Bottom line, you can have more power on the V6 and still have decent gas mileage.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #19
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Um, the S/C has a bypass on our trucks. So when you're cruising it only draws a few hp so the results on highway fuel economy are negligible. You lose gas mileage with the TRD S/C when you jam on the gas , but otherwise you get stock mileage. It takes gas and air to make power when you romp on the truck and get all 300 ponies, otherwise the engine operates at stock power. If you want to put your foot to the floor your gas mileage will suffer, but if you're like me and only use the TRD S/C for passing and the occasional blowing off of some steam you can still get +16 mpg on the V6. Bottom line, you can have more power on the V6 and still have decent gas mileage.
It is all in how you read his post. When you are just driving with the SC and Not developing the 320 HP you aren't hurting the MPG too much. Then again at that you are not developing 320 HP either.

When you put your foot into it you are developing the 320 HP it is having a massive impact on your MPG.

That is what he is saying when you are cranking out the 320 HP you are taking a huge hit in MPG.

Really hard to keep your foot out of the SC though isn't it?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:15 AM   #20
single cab is on a distinguished road
single cab's Tacoma Gallery
not to be a dick but 16 mpg isn't good a fullsize truck will get that with a v8 and have more power. Most don't buy the 4cyl for the hopes of having a racetruck. Personally I bought mine for mpg because I a lot of cruising around for work