1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I Making A Huge Mistake??

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by TravelinLight, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    adamr94

adamr94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 4x4
    For a 4 cyl, it's up to you. Both get nearly the same gas mileage. Shifting gears just gets old after awhile. But, on the other side it is second nature once you start. Eventually down the road a clutch will have to be replaced though, and that's where the auto shines.

2. Feb 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I'm happy with my 1st-gen 4-cyl/auto. I recreate in the nearby Sierras, and it works great. Of course, I down shift on a few of the grades going up to the mountains, but that a small in-convenience.

3. Feb 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    I would hold out for a 6cyl. Your gas mileage isn't going to be any different once you throw on the bigger tires. Plus you plan on adding a good bit of weight in the back along with bigger tires, you're gonna hate a 4cyl. The extra power of the 6cyl will move the truck easier then having to red line the 4cyl.
    I had a 4cyl tacoma, and it was a dog. Once up to speed, it was fine, but getting there was slow. Most of the time it wasn't an issue, but pulling out into traffic is iffy. I live off a busy street, and just that little bit of extra power once I upgraded to the 6 made all the difference in the world.

Out of curiosity, what are they asking for the truck you're looking at?

4. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:02 PM
    TravelinLight

TravelinLight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Bilsteins on front and rear, OME 885 coils, Wheeler's AAL with overload left in, LR UCA's, Stock TRD 17" wheels, 255/75-17 BFG KM tires, VIPMOTOZ headlights, Lifetime LED headlight bulbs, 6000K LED Fog bulbs, Jumper's Interior and license plate LED's, Husky Classic floor mats, OEM bed mat, Leer100R truck shell with carpeted platform, de-badged, white derped grill emblem.
    Its a 2012 SR5 Access Cab 4cyl with 60K and they're asking 20K + tax, tag, etc.

5. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:12 PM
    Gimmick

Gimmick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad DCSB
    So I drive a 4cyl, access cab. 265/75/16. Auto. Leveled in the front. Fairly close to what you want I think.

The tires make a huge difference with the 4. If you slapped those on a V6, you wouldnt feel it. But you do on the 4.

For everyday driving..fine. Hauling a full bed of stuff...fine. But you wont be winning any races, and merging onto the highway in traffic...your foot is pretty heavy on that pedal. Getting up to speed can be a bitch.

After having it for 4 years, I often wish I got the V6. Next truck will be for sure. The fuel economy isnt that much better for me either. I get 18-19 mpg. Youd get better in the Manual.

6. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    TravelinLight

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Bilsteins on front and rear, OME 885 coils, Wheeler's AAL with overload left in, LR UCA's, Stock TRD 17" wheels, 255/75-17 BFG KM tires, VIPMOTOZ headlights, Lifetime LED headlight bulbs, 6000K LED Fog bulbs, Jumper's Interior and license plate LED's, Husky Classic floor mats, OEM bed mat, Leer100R truck shell with carpeted platform, de-badged, white derped grill emblem.
    Thats great info. Thanks!

7. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    I've had my 2.7/auto in an AC Prerunner for almost 18 months and just turned over 28,000 miles. If I were buying again, Great little truck. I've towed a couple of different loaded Uhaul trailers for a total of 4,000 miles and it handled them fine. If I were buying again, I'd get the exact same truck.

8. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I should have waited and got a v6, but am for the most part, content with my 4 cylinder. My dad gets better gas mileage than I do. Although without the lift and tires it would be pretty similar. The winter I average 14.5 mpg and in the summer I average 18.5 on 93 octane and my truck is a 5 speed. My dad averages 20 mpg in the summer on 87 and his Tacoma is a double cab long bed v6 auto

9. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    If you get the 4cyl and add a big lift and tires, you are gonna have a dog.

Although not typcial for most cars, with these Tacos, the auto gets better mileage than the manual.

I have a 6cyl, and only upgraded the tires to 265/75/16, and I still get 19-20mpg (mainly highway driving).

10. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM
    4x4Banger

4x4Banger Gold Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ham
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB/OR 4x4
    I have the AC 4banger Manual 4x4. I love it. Sometimes I think what it would be like to have a v6 but I am perfectly happy with my 4banger. I have a buddy with a crew cab 4banger 2wd auto and he loves it. He gets good mileage. We live near foothills in SoCal and they seem to do fine. I got the manual to have more control over the little motor. I am happy with my 4banger. As far as mods for power and things I mad a thread that has tips and advice to get the best bang for your buck. Just so people like myself without a ton of money only have to do things once rather than 2+ times. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/352450-best-bang-your-buck-4-cylinder-mods.html Any 4bangers from here have input go throw it on the thread. It helps all of with the bangers!

11. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    4x4Banger

4x4Banger Gold Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ham
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB/OR 4x4
    Oh and as far as off road they do well. I take mine to the desert and it does well climbing those mountains on the highway and in the desert. The manual helps but idk what it would be like with the auto. I have also hauled a packed cab and a bed with a dirt bike and quarter cord of wood out to the desert and it did fine. You felt all the weight back there but it did fine. Its a truck not a sports car

12. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM
    TravelinLight

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Does anyone know of a 2.7 Access Cab on TW that looks good with 245's? Maybe its not worth it to upgrade to the 265's....

13. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:58 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    245's look the same on all Prerunners/4x4. Not an AC, but my sig has the 245's before the swap to 265's.

14. Feb 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    I am very happy with my 2013 4 cylinder access cab 4x4 with auto. It's got plenty of get up and go for me, I don't miss driving a manual, and I don't need to tow heavy objects.

The engine is very easy to service and has an excellent reputation for reliability.

I think you will enjoy the vehicle.

15. Feb 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    TravelinLight

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks Rick!!

16. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    IMO you will love the automatic. I think you understand you are not buying a "fast" truck so IMO you do have a clue (or will find out) you ARE buying the slowest vehicle on the Planet. Now, go get that SOB and change the rear diff oil out, asap! Good luck!

17. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I have said repeatedly in this forum that I would not want the 4cyl with an auto. Mine does fine for me with the 5spd manual. I run stock (245/75/r16) tires and suspension.

Allowing for your flatland terrain, I think you'd be ok with the auto if you were keeping the truck stock, tire and suspension wise. My gut feeling is, with bigger tires and a lift, the truck will be sluggish with the 4cyl mated with the auto trans. That will probably translate to poorer fuel economy. :notsure:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  18. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    dirtyroadie

dirtyroadie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Western N.Y. State
    Vehicle:
    '10 regular cab 4x4 4cyl, 5spd
    Cap, Plywood in bed.
    My completely stock '10 4x4,with a 4cyl-5spd gets about 20mpg on the winter swill we have here and about 24-28 in the summer. One huge advantage with the 5spd is that it reduces the number of people who will want to borrow it. This little 2.7 is surprisingly quick over 3500 rpm. I had it up to 90mph in 3rd gear because, well because I wanted to see if it would do it.

19. Feb 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    2010 4x4 AC 4cyl 5spd here with Michelin LTX MS2 P265/75-16. Lifetime average a little over 22mpg. Only dropped a tenth or two mpg when I upped the tire size.
    I love a manual transmission. I also like the hypermiling tricks you can play to keep mileage up. If I lived in a high traffic area I might reconsider.
    My truck does great on East Tennessee hills and tows or hauls anything I want to.
    I think the 4x4 gearing helps the 4cyl feel peppier.
    I love the look of the bigger tires. I have 5100s all around, fronts at .85 and TSB rear leafs. I may try 235/85-16 next for the same big diameter but skinny. Heads up on the 265s, P-metric tires are way lighter than LT and you will feel the weight during acceleration.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  20. Feb 6, 2015 at 5:15 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...

Two comments:

First, About Oz? Hahahahahahahahah!

Second, About traffic ticket for going too slow? Just the fact that you said that makes it something to ponder: If you are used to a vehicle with more power, you'll definitely get in trouble more often than you'd like to. Everyone finds themselves in a predicament once in a while when a bust of speed would be the safe thing to do to get out of the way of another car. You don't think twice twice about it until you punch it and the power isn't there.

Products Discussed in

To Top