1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I Making A Huge Mistake??

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by TravelinLight, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Feb 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    Hartford

Hartford Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Acc Cab 5spd
    I'm quoting this and haven't read any further yet. So my points may have already been made.

Slapping the larger heavier tires on the 4cyl. will decrease mileage. Especially at the speed you mentioned, 75 to 80. If you try you will probably be able to beat the 6cyl., but you will have to consciously work at it. You might be better off with a 235 85 16 tire if you don't mind the skinny look. Some say these get better mileage than the wider 265 75 16 while being just as tall.

The lift won't decrease mileage much.

It will accelerate slowly, but once you get it to cruising speed it will be fine. An ultra or scan gauge will benefit you in the mpg department.

This july I will have had mine for 3 years and around 90k miles and I have no regrets. In the summer i can squeeze out 24mpg average on stock tires, and in the winter i can get 20mpg average with tires that are almost 50lbs apiece. About 12 pounds more a tire.

2. Feb 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    Hartford

Hartford Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Acc Cab 5spd
    I knew I should have finished this thread before posting.

3. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Doh! :homer:

4. Feb 10, 2015 at 9:47 AM
    TravelinLight

TravelinLight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Bilsteins on front and rear, OME 885 coils, Wheeler's AAL with overload left in, LR UCA's, Stock TRD 17" wheels, 255/75-17 BFG KM tires, VIPMOTOZ headlights, Lifetime LED headlight bulbs, 6000K LED Fog bulbs, Jumper's Interior and license plate LED's, Husky Classic floor mats, OEM bed mat, Leer100R truck shell with carpeted platform, de-badged, white derped grill emblem.
    UPDATE: I appreciate everyone's input/advice/opinions! If you've followed this post, you know I've gone back and forth on my feeling about this truck. First, I thought I had done enough research on the truck to be confident in buying a one way ticket down in hopes of really liking the truck and buying it. Then, as I read more and more TW posts (we all know this can be dangerous), I started having doubts..but my one way ticket was purchased, so I got a little uneasy. I got down there and drove the truck and was very very pleased with the way it felt.

Here's the biggest thing: I would like to have the extra towing capacity. I would like to be able to run a lift and 265s. BUT, I wanted the more fuel efficient truck and for my needs, I felt like the 2.7 could work. 90% of the time, I dont need the power and towing capacity.

When I drove the truck home from Tampa, 7 hours on the interstate, I was loving the way it drove. I felt like I had no problem merging and passing and driving 80+ on the interstate. When I checked my mpg, I realized I was getting 17 or so, and I overreacted. I was mad because I felt like I could get close to that in the V6 and have no limitations on hauling, lift/tire upgrade, power, etc.

BUT: I've realized this: I'm learning how to drive it more efficiently and around town it is getting 20+ on the stock setup. 90% of the time, I dont need the V6. In the 10% scenario, If I have to run it hard and lose some mpg to get the power I need, so be it. On the rare occasion that I need to tow something or haul a heavy load or drive in the mountains, she will struggle but thats only temporary and a short term scenario.

Sorry for the long drawn out post but I just wanted to clarify the thought process. Maybe I should have processed the decision a little more before posting and acting irrational but hey, it was fun to get you guys involved.

I'm going to be stubborn because I care about aesthetics and I'm going to run the Hancook ATM 265/75/16 P-Rated Tires with the following lift:
    -Billstein 5100s front and rear
    -OME 884s with 1/4" spacer for lean
    -Icon progressive AAL

I know that will hurt my mpg, which is counterproductive and hypocritical considering the things that I said were important to me but I want my truck to look good and I pay the note on this SOB. I'll drive it efficiently and it will beat the HELL out of my old 2500. Stay tuned for before and after pics of the tire and lift upgrade.

5. Feb 11, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    RedDragoniop

RedDragoniop Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Sr5
    i have the same truck now 2013 Tacoma i4 sr5 i love it, Tts auto, i drive all round town no problems and i go camping haul my boat, atv, truck is great motor is legendary, looks like a great truck. GRATZ man

Products Discussed in

To Top