Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Converter stopped up on a 2013 RC?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Converter stopped up on a 2013 RC?

So just a few days ago I noticed what sounded like an exhaust leak coming from the engine bay area on my 2013 RC 4x4, I called and asked for a service appointment ASAP, the noise got worse and under load in any gear and when revved quickly while stopped in neutral the sound was like a blow off valve in rapid form from under the hood. And the engine really was a slug. I could tell something wasn't right.

I thought the engine was being torqued to much and the flange gasket on the manifold to converter joint was opening up or something.

I just got the call back from Toyota and they are overnighting me a converter as they said its stopped up, I appreciate the loaner they have me in to drive for now but what I am afraid of is how soon is this going to happen after I get my truck back. It's only got 29,200 miles in it. I purchased it new and have always ran 87 octane.

What truly kills a converter anyways?

Any recommendations or thoughts on the overall "soundness" of the 4cyl converter.

Thanks folks,
I love my little truck and have always appreciated the Toyota 4cyl trucks. This is my fourth one. The dealer rep I work with has been there a while and is in management and technician is a veteran, they both are kind of shocked as they have only seen one other 4cyl converter fail like this so soon.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
My cat died on my 2013 4 cyl at about 20K miles, all under warranty thankfully
Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting,

Did you notice your truck running a whole lot better afterwords?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
rcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcsb jon's Tacoma Gallery
This is some odd happenings.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Tell me about it,
I'm not ready to trade but a converter once a year is a NO-GO for me.

I asked my advisor if Toyota updated the part numbers. He said negative.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

Truck ran fine, then one day it had no power and was very loud and rattly. I layed under the truck and banged around and found the cat's ceramic honeycomb had come apart obviously blocking flow.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Did your dealer say anything or suggest about what to do in another year and your out of factory warranty and this happens again?

I am really hoping this is a one of a kind issue with my truck.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #8

Warranty wise according to google: The EPA law is 80,000 or 8 years, which ever comes first. From "catalyticconverter.org"

The dealer just replaced it and didn't tell me anything else. I'm guessing it was a rare quality control or design/shape issue. I don't off road or beat up my truck.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
10-4, I wasn't aware of the EPA and 80K, I have been away from dealer type work for a while now.

I am not hard on my truck either. I'll try and confirm with my dealer today when I pick mine back up that I do indeed have 80K or 8yrs.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Well, truck runs mucho better!

I really hope this was just a one time part failure. The 2016s haven't grown on me just yet and I am in no position to trade. Although a great deal on a DCLB might just do me in.

My advisor did confirm though that my converter would be covered by the 8yr, 80K warranty.