1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine shuts off when Ac is turned on

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Airwreck, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Feb 18, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    Airwreck

Airwreck [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Hi,
    I have a 2012 Tacoma Access Cab with 45,000 miles (mostly highway miles). I did not renew any warranties because I figured that I take care of it and do regular maintenance and i should have no problems for awhile. Anyway, the other day it was a bit stuffy so I turned on the AC (while driving down the freeway)and the AC button light started flashing and the AC wouldn't work so I just turned it off. The next day I checked it and when the car was in idle and I turn the AC on, it shuts off the engine. It's like the compressor freezes and then causes the engine to shut down. I am reluctant to go to the dealer because I don't want to pay a fortune. I also have very bad luck with mechanics. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what it might be and hopefully it's just a sensor or something minor and not the compressor.

Thanks for any help or ideas

2. Feb 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM
    MGtaco2.7

MGtaco2.7 MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB 4X4 SR5 Silver Sky Metallic V6 AT
    4 or 6cyl

3. Feb 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    MGtaco2.7

MGtaco2.7 MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB 4X4 SR5 Silver Sky Metallic V6 AT
    Never mine, I need my glasses...

4. Feb 18, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    Airwreck

Airwreck [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    yeah...4 cyl

5. Feb 22, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    G17GUY

G17GUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    With the truck off, can you spin the center of the compressor with your hand? The compressors in these trucks have a high falure rate. If you cannot spin it by hand then the compressor grenaded.

You will need to replace the compressor, condenser/dryer, expansion valve, and filter tube next to the evaporator. You will need to flush all lines and evaporator with denatured alcohol and blow gun them multiple times untill no visible metal shavings are present.

Then put everything back together with new gaskets and coat them all with nylog. Then pull a vaccum on the system, purge with nitrogen, check for leaks, pull another vaccum, inject 8 oz of pag46 oil, add 22oz of refrigerant and enjoy.

I did this about a year ago on my 2007, let me know if you have any questions.

6. Feb 22, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    This is one of those things I really don't like about my truck. My delphi compressor is on borrowed time at 150k -- already replaced its clutch -- and eventually it'll die like the rest.

In the meantime, until you can get it fixed, you can pull the little A/C fuse in the box under the hood. That'll let you run the defroster vent positions without trying to kick on the compressor. I had to do that for a while.

Products Discussed in

To Top