1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To flush or not to flush trans.

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Mr Yota, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:29 AM
    Mr Yota

Mr Yota [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    15' OR
    nothing..........yet!!!
    stock 2010 4cyl 2.7l 2wd auto 130k
    theres no dip stick so im not sure if the fluid level is even correct(frustrating:mad:) i was told its lifetime fluid but shouldnt it still be replaced and if im doing that shouldnt i just flush it.

2. Feb 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM
    Mr Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    15' OR
    nothing..........yet!!!
    so i did a little more reading and what i read was that since i bought the truck used with 100k already on it, and dont know if it has been flushed before that i shouldnt flush the tranny as it might push some debris into places its not wanted, but that i should rather check the fluid and just replace it.

if someone could just give me a second opinion to rather they agree or disagree with this statement that would be great

3. Feb 21, 2015 at 4:45 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    You sure you were reading the correct information for your truck ? You should have a 4 speed automatic
    The 2.7 comes with the A340 series transmission and it should have a dipstick with a filler tube .
    I have some information here that may help http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...warner-340-series-transmissions-write-up.html

The 6 cylinder with the 4 litre engine uses the 5 speed sealed A750 series transmission ( no dipstick )
    EDIT . Nobody can answer your question without removing the transmission pan first .
    Just because they did a flush and it worked for them at that mileage , doesnt mean it will work for you .
    Removing the transmission pan is the first step when servicing an automatic transmission , especially a transmission that has not had services at the recommended service interval .

. Once the pan and filter have been removed , you determine if the transmission can be flushed by the amount of contamination in the pan and filter . If you skip this step and go directly to a flush , you " can " create issues by moving the debris from the bottom of the pan into the valve body .

Purchase a pan gasket and new transmission fluid for your transmission model .
    EDIT , remove the transmission screen and inspect it closely , clean it , check the rubber o-ring for nicks and cracks , lubricate the o-ring and put the screen back on .
    According to Toyota , the trans uses Genuine Toyota type T-IV
    http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...a/02600110.pdf

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Feb 21, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    +1

Did you assume no dipstick OP?

5. Feb 22, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    Mr Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    15' OR
    nothing..........yet!!!
    yes i assumed there was no dip stick, from what someone else had said when i asked them if they had done theres.
    thank you gearcruncher thats great info think ill wait till it warms up and i dont have to lay in the snow to drop the pan a take a look see.

6. Feb 24, 2015 at 4:30 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I have heard from several reliable sources that the 4-speed automatic in the 2nd Gen Tacoma 4-cylinder has no transmission filter.

I just called my local Firestone service center and they looked it up in their system, confirming there is no filter in this transmission.

Does anyone know for sure? I just find it hard to believe.

On topic for the OP, I drained and refilled my transmission a few times back at 60k miles to change out 80% of the T-IV fluid. Will be doing again soon if I can get a confirmation that there's no filter. I think you would be OK draining and refilling once to get some fresh fluid in there. Drain and fill again in a few thousand miles. There is no need to remove the pan and open up the transmission if there's no filter to replace. My $0.02

7. Feb 24, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    ^^^^^ This may help http://web.archive.org/web/20081209...athan-buchanan/93fsm/autotrans/24onvehicl.pdf

This may help as well http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...it&vehicleIdSearch=362994&searchedFrom=header

Sometimes it helps if you let tire shops do what they do best . I wouldn't trust them with transmission work or selling me anything for my transmission . Double check your reliable sources .
    Now that we got this outta the way , its not necessarily a filter , but more like a screen . Screens also catch contaminates . Remove the screen and shine a flashlight inside looking for chunks of metal or clutch debris .I have rebuilt many of these transmissions (A340 series - 4speed )
    Some parts suppliers will sell you a paper or cloth style filter to put back in place of the steel screen . Some shops say you get better filtering with a cloth style filter. There are advantages and disadvantages to both styles

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  8. Feb 24, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Hopefully someone who has been inside one will confirm the situation, but I'm going to take a guess...........

I'm betting it does not have a replaceable filter. Meaning the filter can be pulled, cleaned and reinstalled. Hence, no P/N in the outside worlds systems.

OTOH, none of my 90's vintage Hondas had accessible filters either. Just a drain plug. So, it could be they don't.

Since I have one also, I'm interested in knowing.

Edit: Gearcruncher answered while I was typing. Thanks for the great link! And confirming that I had a good guess. But who'd have thought they'd have called it a 'strainer'? :eek:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. Feb 27, 2015 at 4:12 AM
    Mr Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    15' OR
    nothing..........yet!!!
    thank you gearcruncher that is good info to know, still waiting for it to warm up so i dont have to lay in the snow but thats not going to be till may at this rate.

Products Discussed in

To Top