1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

will a new TPS fix my problem?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 99kyota2506, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:14 AM
    99kyota2506

99kyota2506 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    EO
    Vehicle:
    1999 Taco/Flatbed
    Get to it later...
    I just got a 99 tacoma and the guy I bought it from said I should get a new TPS part. He said it would make it run better. So anyway, I didnt know it was unhooked when I bought the truck and ran it around for a week. Had a guy look at it today just to BS and whatnot and he says you know your TPS is unhooked, you might want to hook that back up. The check engine light had been on this whole week by the way. So, I ended up plugging it back in and it started and seemed to run just fine and actually quiet it down some and decreased the vibration from the motor the couple trips into town, it took the check engine light off too, and then I noticed on my way home it was kinda seemed to be cutting out and when I came to a stop it almost stalled. A quick step on gas pedal kept it from dying. The check engine light also came back on.

So how bad is it to run around with that unplugged when it seems to run better then when its plugged in?? A good friend of mine said thats not right and definitely needs plugged in.

The part only seems to be around $40-50 so thats not to bad. Hopefully someone on here can help before I screw anything up to bad. Thanks

2. Mar 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I'd definitely replace it. Its a critical part of any EFI system.

I assume its causing the problem. So who knows what the previous owner didn't tell you. It could be something else wrong, that unplugging it made it run a little better. Do a search on trouble-shooting the TPS.

3. Mar 5, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    99kyota2506

99kyota2506 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    EO
    Vehicle:
    1999 Taco/Flatbed
    Get to it later...
    Well I replaced the TPS and it took the engine light off and rrn fine great for about 10-15 miles...And then it started doing the same thing again. The MAF and throttle body were just cleaned. I really dont know what the problem is?

It runs a lot better with no TPS plugged in, and with a new TPS it seems to want to cut out bad...cruising down my gravel road in 2nd gear and iit almost skids its so bad when it does it.

4. Mar 20, 2015 at 6:06 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    first rule of buying a used car. Anything that "just needs" a cheap part that the current owner is unwilling to buy, doesnt need that part. The owner is lying to get your money. No sane person would leave a couple thousand on the table for a $5 part that takes 5 minutes to install. They will however blame a $5 part for a $1000 problem. Odds are you got screwed hard.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top