1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Synthetic or regular oil?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Hublocker, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM
    Hublocker

Hublocker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm about to possibly buy a 2007 -- with a 2.7 litre engine. 136,000 km on it.

Owner says he runs synthetic in it. Should I stay with that or switch to regular oil? Is one or the other better? is it a big deal to have a bit of residual synthetic in it when/if I add regular petroleum oil?

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    mjcruiser

mjcruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's Toytec Springs OME Dakars Raceline R6 Wheels
    You can switch back, although some may say that switching back may cause issues with seals and you'll end up with leaks, but I think that only applies to those who already have slight leaks and issues with seals, if at all especially with the advancements they've made in synthetic oils since their introduction.

The true question is, why would you want to switch back? There are many advantages to synthetic oils, but the biggest con about it is some think its expensive when it's actually not. You can go for longer on synthetic oil before needing an oil change than you can on conventional mineral oil so the cost difference is pretty much a wash.

Here's a decent article about it. I'm sure some of the more seasoned members will chime in as well.
    http://www.topspeedracer.com/synthetic-vs-regular-oil.html

3. Mar 10, 2015 at 8:45 AM
    MTyota

MTyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 2.7 5spd SR5 4x4
    ABS switch, tailgate lock, factory fogs, tonnopro loroll, icharger aux cable, 10mm hex oil plug swaps
    It really comes down to how often you want to change it/ what makes you feel good. I feel better changing it every 3k with dino oil but many people prefer to go 7-10k with synth. price is the same either way. My only other thought is that if you change the filter more often you are better off. Plus I just like working on my truck!

As far as mixing and switching it shouldn't matter on a tight motor. Only old high milage engines that have leaks should stick with dino oil and use a high viscosity. I used to run diesel truck oil in my 91 BMW with 250K on it and she never leaked!

also read the similar threads at the bottom of the page

4. Mar 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    MKW

MKW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 RC 4x4
    OME 3" lift MK6 wheels 285 Fierce MTs & 4.88s!!
    I like to run conventional oil because change intervals are 5000 miles and that helps me remember to rotate my tires. Dumb reason, I know, but it helps me stay on top of things.

Products Discussed in

To Top