1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing out Fuel Pump

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Grearw, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    Grearw

Grearw [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Base Model, 4.0 Liter, 4wd, Manual Trans.
    I have a 2002 Tacoma 2.7l and am pretty sure I need to change out my fuel pump. The truck has difficulty starting in the morning and I have to rev the engine and hold it at 2500 rpm or so for a few seconds to get it to idle without dying. After its warm if I turn it off for a few minutes, to run into the store for instance, it starts fine. Spark plugs have been changed, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor, and no codes are showing on OBDII. So if fuel pump is the problem, does anyone have advice on the best methods to fix this?

2. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    arpiti

arpiti Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    I have a 2.7L Tacoma, and I was wondering the same thing. Not sure about PreRunners, but the fuel pump in some Tacos are within the gas tank. Some are not. Good luck in your quest for an answer, but categorically, I would suggest replacing your fuel pump every 50K.

3. Apr 4, 2015 at 4:42 PM
    Taco Todd

Taco Todd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR 4cyl
    I'll give you an idea based off past experiences. My wife has an 09 BMW 335i and the same thing happened to her car. It ended up being the injectors. They would leak fuel out of them and it would throw firing off because the cylinders would fill with fuel. BUT I know toyotas are different and that may not be the case. As for putting in a fuel pump it is easy. Messy but easy. Take your time doing it and buy new gas tank straps. A fuel pump is honestly only 2 wires and a few clamps. When we build demo derby cars we canabilze the stock pumps all the time. I would start by making sure you have pressure in your line when you put the key to the start position because if it has enough pressure to keep it running after warm up it should be fine. If it has low pressure there is your problem. But make sure all the injectors are up to par also

4. Apr 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM
    wild03

wild03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma DLX 2.4L
    tach
    If I were you I would ensure it was really the fuel pump. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure.

Reason I say that because my truck would not start and all pointed to a bad pump, I even sprayed fuel into the manifold while cranking and I could keep engine running if I kept squirting.

I ended up installing a fuel pressure gauge on the rail $35 between the banjo bolt and the gauge. I can now monitor the pressure and if it is leaking over time. Ended up being a bad connection on the ECM

Not saying that this is your case but that It is probably a good idea to check for pressure before throwing parts at it.;)

5. Apr 16, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    Grearw

Grearw [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Base Model, 4.0 Liter, 4wd, Manual Trans.
    Probably a good call. After talking with a coworker of mine, the symptoms could be explained by a failing ECT sensor, so I changed that out. While changing the sensor, I noticed that one of my ignition coils had a crack all the way down the side of it (the geniuses at the shop I took it to when the problem first started didnt see that). So I changed the coil and boom. done. Seems to be running fine now. I have a pump that I had already purchased and was considering changing it just because I had the part, but I think I would rather have my $90 back. Thanks for the efforts.

Products Discussed in

To Top