Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7L Observations

Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #21
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
I'm ready to stand beside you on something, and you turn around and do this. Sheesh.
Oh i'm not turning on you. i'd still much rather have the V6, i'm just stating that the 2.7 has a legendary reputation for being a tank
Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #22
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Well, in all honesty, I would have preferred the AccessCab if it were just for me. And if that were the case, I would have test drove both the 4-cyl and 6-cyl, and pragmatic person that I am, I probably would have chosen the 4-cyl for gas mileage. However, since the wife insisted on the DoubleCab to haul the kids around on family trips, I just had to bite the bullet and take the more powerful engine. The things I sacrifice for my family...
Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #23
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I don't think the 4 cylinder would do very well in the Double Cab. It would be fine for in-town driving, but loaded or highway would suffer too much. The 4.0L is perfect for the Double Cabs!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #24
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, in all honesty, I would have preferred the AccessCab if it were just for me. And if that were the case, I would have test drove both the 4-cyl and 6-cyl, and pragmatic person that I am, I probably would have chosen the 4-cyl for gas mileage. However, since the wife insisted on the DoubleCab to haul the kids around on family trips, I just had to bite the bullet and take the more powerful engine. The things I sacrifice for my family...
Way to take one for the team bro!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #25
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i'm just stating that the 2.7 has a legendary reputation for being a tank
I have the same reputaion.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #26
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiVR6r View Post
I have the same reputaion.
I thought you had a reputation for being a fart machine and sitting on people...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #27
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought you had a reputation for being a fart machine and sitting on people...
I have many reputations, I loose track.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #28
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
And nd has a reputation for being tanked.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #29

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And nd has a reputation for being tanked.
only when i'm not sober
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 AM   #30
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's what i've noticed about the 2.7... people who own it tend to overcompensate for their small engine size. 007 owned two very nice houses at one point and GTi is the size of a large OX. i've noticed that the 2.7 produces an iferiority complex that causes the owner to feel the need to compensate in some way.... thats just my observation
Okay, this comment has me ready to move to Texas now.

I have a lot of thinking to do.
My loyalty to Tacoma or Carolina? I think the Tacoma is gonna win, A Texan on here has never made fun of the 4 cyl as far as I know. I need a few days.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #31
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
I personally am not too happy with the lack of power.. and my speedometer is slow by 5 mph and toyota won't do anything about it because it's in their tolerance. and whats the cheapest K&N anyone has found?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #32
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
Come on over! Or you could be the honorary Texan who spies on the alliance and report back if they're ever really going to make good on their weak threats.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #33

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post

I have a lot of thinking to do.
My loyalty to Tacoma or Carolina? I think the Tacoma is gonna win, A Texan on here has never made fun of the 4 cyl as far as I know. I need a few days.
I'm so dissapointed viper, i thought you were one of our most diehard members. I hate to hear you're thinking of defecting.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm so dissapointed viper, i thought you were one of our most diehard members. I hate to hear you're thinking of defecting.
There there. Don't feel so bad. So what if you're losing the rich dude who could fund an invasion. Look on the bright side, you just gained the TuRD who has designs on fractioning the alliance.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #35

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There there. Don't feel so bad. So what if you're losing the rich dude who could fund an invasion. Look on the bright side, you just gained the TuRD who has designs on fractioning the alliance.
For the record, Viper is not rich anymore, he got rid of all his money and thats why we cant afford Alliance Helicopters. And as for TuRD, yeah, you may be right, i think he is trying to tear down the Alliance from teh inside...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #36
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiVR6r View Post
Well after 3046 miles on my new Taco, I've learned some things about it.

Did anyone else know the 2nd Gen Tacos are drive-by-wire? No Throttle cables. Thats one of the first things I usually do is tweek the throttle cable for a crispier drive. No can do here.

I removed the secondary air filter from the air box, and lost bottom end torque. Very noticeable too. I drove about 1 week with it out and was getting disapointed with the power and performance of the 2.7L without it.
I put it back it and secured it with stainless steel sheet metal screws and the torque and power is back. Taco spins the tires from a dead stop. Not a lot, but I can do it now!

The extra washers under the driver's seat mounts really helps with the thigh and hip support. Love this mod, puts me in a better seating position with my longer legs and they dont fall asleep during long comutes or road trips anymore. : )

After 3046 miles the 2.7L has really loosened up and generates lots of power and torque from idle. Coupled with the final drive ratio, this puppy GOES!

Mikey likes it!
When you removed your secondary air filter did you remove the battery connection for 30 minutes to reset your engine control computer? Doing this helps a ton from what I've read. I think resetting the computer adjusts the fuel dispersion to the increase in unrestricted airflow.

Just unhook one of the terminals for at least 20-30 minutes. Your bottom end torque should be better than original and your mileage should increase.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #37
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSUNAMI*22 View Post
When you removed your secondary air filter did you remove the battery connection for 30 minutes to reset your engine control computer? Doing this helps a ton from what I've read. I think resetting the computer adjusts the fuel dispersion to the increase in unrestricted airflow.

Just unhook one of the terminals for at least 20-30 minutes. Your bottom end torque should be better than original and your mileage should increase.
That I did NOT do. I'll have to try it again after my oil change this weekend.
Thanks for the tip.

- M
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #38
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
No problem. Just make sure its diconnected for enough time. I heard that 15 minutes is enough but I also heard 20 minutes. That's why I say make it 30 or more. Hell do it overnight! LOL
Old 11-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #39
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone has noticed this. Has anyone noticed a slight tug when you turn the AC on and off. I know it's a IL4 and somewhat small, but my girl friend has a Mazda Protege and I can't feel anything when I turn the AC on and off. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I'm sure its nothing.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #40
Obama can suck-it
Probably the engagement/disengagement of the compressor clutch.

I feel it too.