Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7L Observations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #41
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold
 
sawdust's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2007, #2802
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,294
sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSUNAMI*22 View Post
Just unhook one of the terminals for at least 20-30 minutes. Your bottom end torque should be better than original and your mileage should increase.
I did not remove the battery terminal after removing my air filter. I got the low end torque, but I recently finished my 1st tank of gas afterward and it was about 1 mpg lower than the past couple. However, I'm not sure I've got the hang of topping off the tank consistently to be sure of my mpg.

The engine computer will catch up even if you don't reset it, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #42
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
Joined: Oct 2007, #3193
Location: Stockton, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
I did not remove the battery terminal after removing my air filter. I got the low end torque, but I recently finished my 1st tank of gas afterward and it was about 1 mpg lower than the past couple. However, I'm not sure I've got the hang of topping off the tank consistently to be sure of my mpg.

The engine computer will catch up even if you don't reset it, right?
I've read that the computer "relearns" but I've also heard that resetting by disconnecting works too. At least you can assume that the computer will reset if unhooked for a time. How will you know if the computer "relearns"?

Is there anyway to know for sure?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 AM   #43
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jul 2007, #2073
Posts: 496
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I'm so dissapointed viper, i thought you were one of our most diehard members. I hate to hear you're thinking of defecting.
Okay I will once again defend the Motherland but I have changed my title (see next to avatar) in order to point out to the generalship of the alliance that this is a free standing army. We are volunteers that can be sensitive about their trucks and their brand of beer.

The newly formed I4 sqaudron of elite paramilitary operations of the Carolina Alliance. We are based in the Charleston centered lowcountry for all those wish to join. We are responsible for coastal defense (Navy yard) and air strikes against the Texas Coalition (AF Base) when the order to attack comes in.

I hope this will end this tragic controversy once and for all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #44
nd nd is offline
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts
 
nd's Avatar
Name: Nate
Joined: Mar 2007, #1047
Location: Greenville, SC
Age: 32
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,890
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
Okay I will once again defend the Motherland but I have changed my title (see next to avatar) in order to point out to the generalship of the alliance that this is a free standing army. We are volunteers that can be sensitive about their trucks and their brand of beer.

The newly formed I4 sqaudron of elite paramilitary operations of the Carolina Alliance. We are based in the Charleston centered lowcountry for all those wish to join. We are responsible for coastal defense (Navy yard) and air strikes against the Texas Coalition (AF Base) when the order to attack comes in.

I hope this will end this tragic controversy once and for all.
Ok, we'll consider the controversy ended. good to have you back Viper! BTW, i like your new title. I4 squadron sounds pretty cool
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #45
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold
 
sawdust's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2007, #2802
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,294
sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I4 squadron sounds pretty cool
No, no. You're not getting out of this so easy. You make fun of people who drive the 4 cylinders. Viper, be aware of that. ND'll turn on you first chance he gets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #46
nd nd is offline
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts
 
nd's Avatar
Name: Nate
Joined: Mar 2007, #1047
Location: Greenville, SC
Age: 32
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,890
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
No, no. You're not getting out of this so easy. You make fun of people who drive the 4 cylinders. Viper, be aware of that. ND'll turn on you first chance he gets.
For the record imake fun of people who do anything. Viper just happened to get in the cross hairs while i was picking fights with other random people. I've already stated taht the 4cyl is a great engine, i just wanted as much power as possible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #47
Junior Member
chevys is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2007, #2382
Posts: 16
chevys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Here's what i've noticed about the 2.7... people who own it tend to overcompensate for their small engine size. 007 owned two very nice houses at one point and GTi is the size of a large OX. i've noticed that the 2.7 produces an iferiority complex that causes the owner to feel the need to compensate in some way.... thats just my observation
Interesting comment. Im not sure if this is a joke or if you are serious. The 2.7 has its place in a Taco. Some people are not willing to give 20K plus for a truck and some people really are concerned with all the gas mileage they can get and want to save all the money they can not only in fuel but in the purchase price. Plus, they may not tow much and need the extra capability of the 4.0.

I dont know about Taco's but 70 percent of all the Mustangs sold come with a v6 engine. Those v6 models is what keeps the Mustang line alive. They have their place in the world just like the inline 4 Tacoma. If you think the 4.0 is such a bad ass engine then you have never driven anything that really was fast. I realize that fast is a relative term as well. A v6 Taco is not fast by my standards so your results may differ.

If money is not a factor then by all means I would want the 4.0 but in reality its not an option for me. I have never driven any car or truck that I thought had too much power. But, I can adjust to the 2.7 in a heartbeat. Truth be known, it will do just about as much work as the v6 and do it cheaper and last just as long if not longer. I like them both and would rather have the 4.0 but its just not worth the extra money to me. Just my 2 cents but its only worth a penny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 AM   #48
Member
Critter is on a distinguished road
 
Critter's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2007, #1773
Location: MD
Posts: 83
Critter's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up 2.7 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
Interesting comment. Im not sure if this is a joke or if you are serious. The 2.7 has its place in a Taco. Some people are not willing to give 20K plus for a truck and some people really are concerned with all the gas mileage they can get and want to save all the money they can not only in fuel but in the purchase price. Plus, they may not tow much and need the extra capability of the 4.0.

I dont know about Taco's but 70 percent of all the Mustangs sold come with a v6 engine. Those v6 models is what keeps the Mustang line alive. They have their place in the world just like the inline 4 Tacoma. If you think the 4.0 is such a bad ass engine then you have never driven anything that really was fast. I realize that fast is a relative term as well. A v6 Taco is not fast by my standards so your results may differ.

If money is not a factor then by all means I would want the 4.0 but in reality its not an option for me. I have never driven any car or truck that I thought had too much power. But, I can adjust to the 2.7 in a heartbeat. Truth be known, it will do just about as much work as the v6 and do it cheaper and last just as long if not longer. I like them both and would rather have the 4.0 but its just not worth the extra money to me. Just my 2 cents but its only worth a penny.
No contest for realtime towing, the 4 banger just won't move it when traveling Interstates. Yes it will tow BUT changing lanes at 65-75 it just don't cut it! I've had v6's and 4's and for towing go with the 6. JMHO!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #49
Junior Member
chevys is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2007, #2382
Posts: 16
chevys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
No contest for realtime towing, the 4 banger just won't move it when traveling Interstates. Yes it will tow BUT changing lanes at 65-75 it just don't cut it! I've had v6's and 4's and for towing go with the 6. JMHO!
I agree with you. Currently I have a gmc with a 4.3 in it and I know what torque feels like. You will not get me to argue that point. My biggest gripe to date is the price of Toyotas in general and the perceived quality that makes them worth 2 to 4 K worth more than than anything else. I disagree on that point.

The GM 4.3 is bullit proof. It does not have the hp of the 4.0 but it has the torque and that is what pulls. Mine is a sonoma by the way and not full sized.
I have a hard time paying more for the Toyota when I know a GM truck will do the same work and last as long. Same goes for Ford. Not Toyota bashing here at all. I like them but damn Im not giving them a few thousand more for the same basic deal. Yes, I more than likely will have some issues with the GM trucks along the way. My biggest problem has been with alternators. Why I dont know. I cant get one to last over 50K miles.

With that said they are cheap to replace unlike Toyota parts. When its all done and said I dont think it cost a penny more to own a GM truck vs Toyota.
Yes, you may put on 3 alternators to one compared to the Yota but the cost is cheap. Its a major pain but money is money.

For what its worth I hate the colorados. They need to put the I6 in them to make them a serious truck. I know the 5.3 is coming this year and that should really make it scoot. No matter what you buy its always a compromise. I wish the manufacturers would listen to the hard core people before they introduce a new product no matter what the brand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:09 AM   #50
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jul 2007, #2073
Posts: 496
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
No contest for realtime towing, the 4 banger just won't move it when traveling Interstates. Yes it will tow BUT changing lanes at 65-75 it just don't cut it! I've had v6's and 4's and for towing go with the 6. JMHO!
I tow a 2000 lbs trailer on the Interstate every week. I move fine. Maybe you need a tune up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:05 AM   #51
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
007Tacoma's Avatar
Name: Mark
Joined: Jan 2007, #643
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 6,938
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone has noticed this. Has anyone noticed a slight tug when you turn the AC on and off. I know it's a IL4 and somewhat small, but my girl friend has a Mazda Protege and I can't feel anything when I turn the AC on and off. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I'm sure its nothing.
I have this too, but remember - the A/C compressor on the 2.7L is the exact same as on the double cabs! It is a large compressor, and it gets cold extremely fast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 AM   #52
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
007Tacoma's Avatar
Name: Mark
Joined: Jan 2007, #643
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 6,938
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
No contest for realtime towing, the 4 banger just won't move it when traveling Interstates. Yes it will tow BUT changing lanes at 65-75 it just don't cut it! I've had v6's and 4's and for towing go with the 6. JMHO!
I have towed over 3500lbs on the interstate with my 2.7L - I haven't had trouble passing people. My problems didn't start until 4000+ lbs - I had trouble holding 80 MPH uphill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
I tow a 2000 lbs trailer on the Interstate every week. I move fine. Maybe you need a tune up.
Yeah, 2000 lbs on the 2.7L isn't a problem at all.

Biggest problem with the 2.7L in the PreRunners is WIND RESISTANCE!!! If you put a large trailer behind you in the PreRunners with a head wind - wind resistance will KILL your gas mileage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #53
Member
Critter is on a distinguished road
 
Critter's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2007, #1773
Location: MD
Posts: 83
Critter's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Miss the point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
I tow a 2000 lbs trailer on the Interstate every week. I move fine. Maybe you need a tune up.
The V6 does it all so much easier. Like I said I've towed with 4s and 6s and it's alot easier with the 6.Of course a V8 is King!

As to Chevy Guy Hey I used own Chevy's but in the MIDSIZE trucks Tacoma is #1 and Frontier 2nd! The Colorado don't get it with that 5 banger it's stupid if you ask me. WHY? didn't they put the 4.3 maybe beefed up version in the Colorado. Because GM is dumb always missing the mark. The Tacoma over all is far Superior to the Colorado,just is! Frontiers is its only real competion!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #54
nd nd is offline
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts
 
nd's Avatar
Name: Nate
Joined: Mar 2007, #1047
Location: Greenville, SC
Age: 32
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,890
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
Interesting comment. Im not sure if this is a joke or if you are serious. The 2.7 has its place in a Taco. Some people are not willing to give 20K plus for a truck and some people really are concerned with all the gas mileage they can get and want to save all the money they can not only in fuel but in the purchase price. Plus, they may not tow much and need the extra capability of the 4.0.

I dont know about Taco's but 70 percent of all the Mustangs sold come with a v6 engine. Those v6 models is what keeps the Mustang line alive. They have their place in the world just like the inline 4 Tacoma. If you think the 4.0 is such a bad ass engine then you have never driven anything that really was fast. I realize that fast is a relative term as well. A v6 Taco is not fast by my standards so your results may differ.

If money is not a factor then by all means I would want the 4.0 but in reality its not an option for me. I have never driven any car or truck that I thought had too much power. But, I can adjust to the 2.7 in a heartbeat. Truth be known, it will do just about as much work as the v6 and do it cheaper and last just as long if not longer. I like them both and would rather have the 4.0 but its just not worth the extra money to me. Just my 2 cents but its only worth a penny.
It was a joke. And i know what speed is, i didnt get the V6 for speed i got it so i could tow a boat with no problem. Plus the Double cab only comes witha V6. And it may not be as fast as other vehicles, it has no problem getting out of its own way, plenty of pick up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:25 AM   #55
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jul 2007, #2073
Posts: 496
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
The V6 does it all so much easier. Like I said I've towed with 4s and 6s and it's alot easier with the 6.Of course a V8 is King!

As to Chevy Guy Hey I used own Chevy's but in the MIDSIZE trucks Tacoma is #1 and Frontier 2nd! The Colorado don't get it with that 5 banger it's stupid if you ask me. WHY? didn't they put the 4.3 maybe beefed up version in the Colorado. Because GM is dumb always missing the mark. The Tacoma over all is far Superior to the Colorado,just is! Frontiers is its only real competion!
The word easier here is irrelevant until you get up to about 3,500 lbs.

Lots of comments here that are opinions pawned off as fact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #56
nd nd is offline
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts
 
nd's Avatar
Name: Nate
Joined: Mar 2007, #1047
Location: Greenville, SC
Age: 32
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,890
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
The word easier here is irrelevant until you get up to about 3,500 lbs.

Lots of comments here that are opinions pawned off as fact.
I've just always assumed that all my opinions were fact....
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 AM   #57
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Joined: Jul 2007, #2073
Posts: 496
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I've just always assumed that all my opinions were fact....
ND, are you trying to give them reason to hate you?

I think I figured all this Texas vs. Alliance stuff out now.

See, I know you're just kidding, but the Texan mentality believes anything...just look how they sucked up whatever the Bush family said. Maybe, just maybe (I'm just speculating here now...) they believe it when you say stuff like this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #58
Senior Member
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
concrete jedi's Avatar
Army: Shit deflector
Joined: Oct 2007, #3142
Location: Rochester N.Y
Age: 49
Posts: 2,747
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you feel, really !!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #59
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold
 
sawdust's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2007, #2802
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,294
sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
ND, are you trying to give them reason to hate you?

I think I figured all this Texas vs. Alliance stuff out now.

See, I know you're just kidding, but the Texan mentality believes anything...just look how they sucked up whatever the Bush family said. Maybe, just maybe (I'm just speculating here now...) they believe it when you say stuff like this?
Nah. Like I said in another thread. I'm right, but I'm generous enough to let him be wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:19 AM   #60
nd nd is offline
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts
 
nd's Avatar
Name: Nate
Joined: Mar 2007, #1047
Location: Greenville, SC
Age: 32
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,890
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
ND, are you trying to give them reason to hate you?

I think I figured all this Texas vs. Alliance stuff out now.

See, I know you're just kidding, but the Texan mentality believes anything...just look how they sucked up whatever the Bush family said. Maybe, just maybe (I'm just speculating here now...) they believe it when you say stuff like this?
I feel sorry for anyone that believes that i mean everything i say. In fact i prolly only mean about 4 to 5% of what i say. I think/hope the Texans are smart enough to know that
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Observations Silver12 2nd Gen. Tacomas 81 01-16-2012 07:13 PM
UltraGauge - Initial Observations RZRob 2nd Gen. Tacomas 37 03-23-2011 09:50 AM
Some observations about my new Tacoma JoeN 267 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 11-10-2009 11:31 PM
My first observations of the 2010 tacoma NetMonkey 2nd Gen. Tacomas 42 10-26-2009 06:12 PM
Gallery Observations... Dust Devil 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 03-29-2007 10:36 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.