Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Complete 30k Maintenance

Old 05-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
i was flippin thru the manual, it says for the rearend whether you have lsd or not that you need hypoid gear oil. my motorcycle takes the same stuff, what is the difference between the hypoid gear oil and regular gear oil? can you just use the regular stuff with our trucks?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Chris 4x4 told me to use mobil 1 75W-90 all across the board (for manual tranny, transfer case, front and rear diffs) so I did. Maybe he can come in and address that or shoot him a PM
Old 05-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #23
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I also read that the LSD requires an additive.
The e locking diff (TRD Off-road) you simply use only the 75w-90.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #25
rpastro is on a distinguished road
Navy: EM1(SS)
rpastro's Tacoma Gallery
Great writeup...

Thanks, I learned a lot from it...even at my ripe old age of 61!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #26
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
I also read that the LSD requires an additive.
The e locking diff (TRD Off-road) you simply use only the 75w-90.
Yes and Yes
Old 06-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
Deer Slayer will become famous soon enoughDeer Slayer will become famous soon enough
Deer Slayer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks dgerm and Chris 4X4 for the excellent write up and pictures. it helps alot for people like me who have never done it before. Just one thing I wanted to point out. when I looked at my maintenance schedule again, it indicated that you change the differntial oil only if you have LSD. It appears that if you have a conventional 4X4 without the LSD or anything like that, you never have to change any of the gear oils. neither front or rear differtial, transfer gear box or manual transmition. at least not according to Toyota's recommended service schedule, unless there is somthing that I missed.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #28
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a sign saying 30k maintenance at the dealer (for 4x4) is $550! I have a while before that, but debating if it's better to bang up my knuckles or one of the kids at the dealer...
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #29
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
Thanks dgerm and Chris 4X4 for the excellent write up and pictures. it helps alot for people like me who have never done it before. Just one thing I wanted to point out. when I looked at my maintenance schedule again, it indicated that you change the differntial oil only if you have LSD. It appears that if you have a conventional 4X4 without the LSD or anything like that, you never have to change any of the gear oils. neither front or rear differtial, transfer gear box or manual transmition. at least not according to Toyota's recommended service schedule, unless there is somthing that I missed.
I think what you read is that you don't have to add the LSD additive to it unless you have the TRD sport package. My service manual says that I should change the gear oils at 30K but not add the additive
Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #30
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenobe View Post
I saw a sign saying 30k maintenance at the dealer (for 4x4) is $550! I have a while before that, but debating if it's better to bang up my knuckles or one of the kids at the dealer...
Definitely do it yourself! Without having to take pictures and write ups, it would have taken me about 2 hours to complete with only simple tools, fluid receptacles and replacement fluids. The only time consuming thing would be changing the spark plugs on the V6's
Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #31
Deer Slayer will become famous soon enoughDeer Slayer will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
I think what you read is that you don't have to add the LSD additive to it unless you have the TRD sport package. My service manual says that I should change the gear oils at 30K but not add the additive
What I was refering to was that in the maintenance schedule for 2008 Tacoma, it lists replacing the differntial fluid at every 30K, but in the paranthesis it states something like: for forrunner and 4X4 trucks with limited slip differntial only (I don't remember the exact wording), but something in that line indicating that if you don't have LSD you never have to change it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #32
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What I was refering to was that in the maintenance schedule for 2008 Tacoma, it lists replacing the differntial fluid at every 30K, but in the paranthesis it states something like: for forrunner and 4X4 trucks with limited slip differntial only (I don't remember the exact wording), but something in that line indicating that if you don't have LSD you never have to change it.

Ok I will check mine out. I think I know what you are referring to and thought it was the section about adding the LSD additive. I will check tonight and I'll be prepared to stand corrected
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #33
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok I will check mine out. I think I know what you are referring to and thought it was the section about adding the LSD additive. I will check tonight and I'll be prepared to stand corrected
If your truck is a base 4x4, it probably doesn't have limited slip. Therefore, you shouldn't have to change the fluid at 30,000 miles unless you want to. I'm gonna do mine at 5yrs or 50,000 miles whichever comes first.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #34
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea about the cabin filter. I've NEVER changed mine. I bet it barely works since its been 220,000 miles.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #35
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
If your truck is a base 4x4, it probably doesn't have limited slip. Therefore, you shouldn't have to change the fluid at 30,000 miles unless you want to. I'm gonna do mine at 5yrs or 50,000 miles whichever comes first.

Ok, regardless I wanted to change everything over to synthetic anyway. I always thought I was supposed to do it at 30k, but even if I had known it wasnt required I would have done it.

And I don't regret it at all. Damn that oil that came out was SHINY from all the metal in it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #36
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
hey good write up buddy, too bad we didn't have a chance to wheel up in the NRV. Looks like i'll be at CNU this upcoming year but if I ever make it up there again we should hit the trails
Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #37
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTycoon View Post
hey good write up buddy, too bad we didn't have a chance to wheel up in the NRV. Looks like i'll be at CNU this upcoming year but if I ever make it up there again we should hit the trails

Thanks! I'm taking it easy on the taco with the trails until my tires wear out, then I will get some better ones and feel a bit more confident!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, regardless I wanted to change everything over to synthetic anyway. I always thought I was supposed to do it at 30k, but even if I had known it wasnt required I would have done it.

And I don't regret it at all. Damn that oil that came out was SHINY from all the metal in it.

There was some metal when I changed by rear differential. I want my truck to run all on synthetic, that was the only reason why I changed my fluids.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
There was some metal when I changed by rear differential. I want my truck to run all on synthetic, that was the only reason why I changed my fluids.
That is a good enough reason to change those fluids, required or not. My truck only has 16K, but I am thinking about switching all the gear oils and manual transmision oil to synthetic too in the hopes of making it run smoother and more efficiently (hopefully better MPG).
What synthetic oils you guys recommend for these different applications?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #40
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is a good enough reason to change those fluids, required or not. My truck only has 16K, but I am thinking about switching all the gear oils and manual transmision oil to synthetic too in the hopes of making it run smoother and more efficiently (hopefully better MPG).
What synthetic oils you guys recommend for these different applications?
Any quality synthetic should be good. I use Mobil 1 as its easy to find.