Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Complete 30k Maintenance

Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #41
Deer Slayer will become famous soon enoughDeer Slayer will become famous soon enough
Deer Slayer's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder what Toyota puts in there in the factory? I wonder if they don't put synthetic in there already, at least on base 4X4, given the fact they don't require replacing them unless you are towing on regular basis.

Also what you guys thing about Redline MT90 or 75W-90NS?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #42
MasterChief
MannyECG is on a distinguished road

MannyECG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
I wonder what Toyota puts in there in the factory? I wonder if they don't put synthetic in there already, at least on base 4X4, given the fact they don't require replacing them unless you are towing on regular basis.

Also what you guys thing about Redline MT90 or 75W-90NS?
I'm doing the 30K tune up on mine (currently @ 50K) and I called Toyota dealership for the LSD additive, they recommend Mobil 1 75W-90 and claim that's what they use.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #43
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
$45? for a cabin air filter? I think I paid $12-15 or something like that. I just got the engine air filter just last week for $13 direct from the dealer. Great thread by the way!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #44
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
$45? for a cabin air filter? I think I paid $12-15 or something like that. I just got the engine air filter just last week for $13 direct from the dealer. Great thread by the way!!!!
Ya thats what they quoted for my dad's car and I assume its the same/similar filter
Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #45
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You can get a cabin air filter way cheap here.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #46
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
You can get a cabin air filter way cheap here.
good link! Mine was .5% of the cost of that
Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #47
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Ya thats what they quoted for my dad's car and I assume its the same/similar filter
Maybe that’s installed; they tried to rape me at $75 to install the dam filter. I took me like 45 seconds to do it myself. I felt bad for some old lady that actually paid them for the install.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #48
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe that’s installed; they tried to rape me at $75 to install the dam filter. I took me like 45 seconds to do it myself. I felt bad for some old lady that actually paid them for the install.
Ya that was for install. Even at advance auto our filters were ~$13
Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 AM   #49
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
great post germ, very nice
Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #50
Deer Slayer will become famous soon enoughDeer Slayer will become famous soon enough
Talking

Today I crawled under my truck to check out the locations of all the bolts for the MT and transfer and differential fill and drain bolts. I particularly wanted to see what the front differntial looked like since there was no picture posted for it. Man, it sure has different plugs! It requires an Alan key socket to open it. that is wiered. wonder why they made this one different. Does any body know what size Alan key it takes?

I have got 4 qts of Redline MT90 for MT and transfer and 5 qts of 75W90NS for both differntials on their way for this job.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #51
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Today I crawled under my truck to check out the locations of all the bolts for the MT and transfer and differential fill and drain bolts. I particularly wanted to see what the front differntial looked like since there was no picture posted for it. Man, it sure has different plugs! It requires an Alan key socket to open it. that is wiered. wonder why they made this one different. Does any body know what size Alan key it takes?

I have got 4 qts of Redline MT90 for MT and transfer and 5 qts of 75W90NS for both differntials on their way for this job.
Ya that is why I have not done it yet. Rumor has it, that it is a 10 mm hex
Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #52
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody try the 4 prong plugs ie: Bosch?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #53
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreme View Post
Anybody try the 4 prong plugs ie: Bosch?
The single electrode plugs (OEM) give the best performance in the second gen trucks. The twing ground plugs give best performance in the first gen V6 trucks.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #54
front differntial alan key size

I bought a set of alan key sockets and crawled under the truck again and checked the alan key size for front differntial. It is 10 mm. I had to sink another $30 just to get the right socket for this one, but at least now I got everything I need for the job once my order of Redline gear oil arrives.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #55
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bought a set of alan key sockets and crawled under the truck again and checked the alan key size for front differntial. It is 10 mm. I had to sink another $30 just to get the right socket for this one, but at least now I got everything I need for the job once my order of Redline gear oil arrives.
Thank you!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #56
River88 is on a distinguished road
River88's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up and awesome photos! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #58
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
dgerm, did you get around to greasing your prop shaft yet? I'll be needing to do it in a while, and wouldn't mind seeing how you did it. I changed the oil in my truck this weekend, and now have the DIY bug. Thanks.

I remember when my DIY bug was out of control.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #59
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
dgerm, did you get around to greasing your prop shaft yet? I'll be needing to do it in a while, and wouldn't mind seeing how you did it. I changed the oil in my truck this weekend, and now have the DIY bug. Thanks.
Nope loaded up my dads grease gun the last day I was home and the thing crapped out. I am going to go back and review a few old threads thats talked about the location of the zerks, and then I will try to take some pics of those at least to get you started
Old 06-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #60
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Nope loaded up my dads grease gun the last day I was home and the thing crapped out. I am going to go back and review a few old threads thats talked about the location of the zerks, and then I will try to take some pics of those at least to get you started

Awesome thanks. I'll be interested to see how you grease the slip yoke... I just had my prop shaft replaced (at 16,000 km) because the slip yoke was binding and causing the thud when I stopped. I'll be greasing that thing at 32k for sure...