Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Complete 30k Maintenance

Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Complete 30k Maintenance

1. Make/Replace cabin air filter
2. Change Engine Air Filter
3. Change engine Oil and Filter
4. Change Rear Differential Fluid
5. Change Transfer Case Oil (4x4 Only)
6. Change Manual Transmission Oil (Manual Tranny Only)
7. Rotate Tires
8. Clean Throttle Body
9. Grease and Torque Drive ("Propeller") Shaft

Changing Spark Plugs: Since I have a 4 banger, I do not need to change my spark plugs yet. For those of you that do, here is a fantastic write up on how to do that.

Total supplies needed:
9qts of 75W-90 Oil
6.1 qts of 0W-20 or 5W-20
1 can throttle body cleaner
1 toothbrush
1 oil filter
1 engine air filter
1 air filter
10mm socket
24mm socket
appropriate ratchets
18" breaker bar
oil catch pan
a lot of rags!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Make/Install cabin air filter

Here is what I did for the cabin air filter. The dealer quoted my dad $45 for a cabin air filter.

So I bought a 16x20x1 furnace filter from Sears Hardware for $.89. I removed the old factory filter, and used it as a template.

I cut the furnace filter to size, leaving two cardboard edges on each of the four new filters.

Then I made frames on the remaining two sides of filters using duct tape:

Now I have four air filters for $.89 + duct tape instead of one installed for $45. I bought the filter without wire because I was not positive what I could put in the truck. But I will change these more often then prescribed, because these don't seem to be the best quality.

Now on to the glove box:

First you have to remove the dampener (device that lets the glove box open slowly). There are two clips/pegs holding it in: One at the top attached to the dash, one at the bottom attached to the glovebox. The one at the top, I just pushed at the top of the dampener toward the glovebox itself. For the bottom one I pushed the clips at the end of the peg in while pushing out at the bottom of the dampener:

Then you just flex the glovebox inward at the two pegs holding the top of it to the dash:

Then the filter compartment is right in front of you. Just release the two clips:

And open it up. Pull the filter out:

And slide the new one in place:

Now close it all up!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Changing Engine Air Filter

Materials:
AFE Pro Dry S filter

One of the easiest installs! Pop your hood then find the air box at the front, passengers side of the compartment:

Pop open the two metal clips on the front and carefully open the air box:

Then remove the stock paper filter:

and install the replacement filter:

Close it back up and you are done!
I am keeping the stock filter in storage for when I clean my aftermarket and let it dry overnight
Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Change Engine Oil

There is a very thorough write up here

Just some notes to help you out on location:

Get under the truck and locate the oil pan. It is toward toward the back of the engine compartment

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Changing Differential Fluid

Great write up here

My advice is to invest in one of these as tacomaman06 told me to do so. It makes life much easier, I trimmed the hose to keep it from kinking when in use and it helped a great deal.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Change the transfer case oil

Materials/Tools:
24mm breaker bar
1-1.1 qts 75W-90
oil pan

The transfer case is extremely easy to change fluids. Just crawl under your truck and find the 2 piece driveshaft. Follow the driveshaft to the front, and you will find the transfer case.

Locate the fill and drain plugs. Break them loose then finish removing with your hand. Remove the fill plug first, then the drain plug and be ready to catch the oil as it drains:

While the oil is draining, clean off the plugs with a rag. Once it has drained, replace the drain plug and fill with just over a quart of oil:

Once oil begins to overflow a bit, replace the fill plug and you are done!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Changing Transmission oil (Manual Transmission)

Materials/Tools:
24mm Breaker bar
~2-3 qts 75W-90
Oil pan
Hand Oil pump/hose

Crawl under your truck and find your transmission. On the drivers side about half way up and half way back you will find the 24mm fill plug. Break that lightly then remove by hand:

Then on the passengers side, about half way back and near the bottom of the tranny, is the drain plug. Break that free, then finish removing by hand, prepared to catch the flow of used oil the plug is holding back:

Once the oil is drained completely, re install the drain plug to ONLY 27 ft*lbs. Then fill with oil until the level is withing 0-5mm from the fill plug:

Then replace the fill plug and you are done!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Rotation

For tire rotation, I followed this diagram provided to me by bobwilson1977:

I recommend you take them to a place that will rebalance them as well. Check with them before you rotate, because they are usually willing to do it all for cheap.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning Throttle Body

Thank you very much to tacomaman06 for walking me through this part via text message!

Materials/tools needed:
10mm socket
Throttle Body Cleaner (I used generic but I recommend the Sea Foam Deep Creek)
Philips head screw driver

First pop your hood and locate the air box. Follow the rubber hose from the air box to the top of the engine.

Loosen the clamp by unscrewing it with the philips head and wiggle the hose of of the plastic housing:

Now locate the wire harness that is attached to the back of the plastic housing:

Press the clip on top and unplug it:

Next Locate the small, insulated hose on the back of the plastic housing.

Press on the clamp arms to loosen it enough to unplug it:

The last step in dis assembly is to remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the "home plate" shaped plastic housing to the top of the engine:

Then loosen the clamp on the final air hose:

And now you can clean the throttle body:

You have to hold open the "butterfly" disc that is just inside the throttle body:

Now spray the cleaner down in there and scrub away with a tooth brush. This pic shows the difference in the clean side, and the side still covered in carbon.

Once you have it clean, I used some compressed air in an aerosol can (such as dust off) to help dry it out a little bit. Now just reattach all of your duct work and lines.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Changing Front Differential Oil

Coming whenever I Find the right tools
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
great write up Dan!!! glad you got the tb cleaning squared away!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Good Job!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. I can't wait to see the propshaft service. I've been curious about that one, although I'm not due for 7000 more miles.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Well Done!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Hey chris there is the throttle body pic i was talking about (the very last one).

NAAC, I did mine at 26.5K. I figured I have a week off school I can do it and the first big maintenance package is better early than late!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
Your engine: "Wash me! Wash me!"
Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Fla-Fish is on a distinguished road

Fla-Fish's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up.
Now I just have to get out there and do it.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
good write up man!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #20
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, It took about 3x longer getting all the pics and writting it up, but I am hoping it will help some people out! I am hoping to finish tomorrow